What Do You Love About Canada? (And What Don't You Love?)

NZDoug

Council Member
Jul 18, 2017
Big Bay, Awhitu, New Zealand
Wasabi. I pluck my own wild horseradish. Make your own pickles. Pickles are super easy to can and when the jar is empty add boiled eggs to the brine and wait a week.
I like wasabi, kemosabe.
I tried growing horseradish but it might be a touch too warm where I live as they were small and skinny.
All the NZ jarred horseradish is mixed with sweet stuff which barfs me out.
A good CDN buddy always brings me a 6 pack of HOLBROS annually.
Pickles are easy to grow but I would like to purchase Kosher dills like Vlasics, but no joy here.
Again, NZ tastes sweeten everything.
I do get pickles that I vinegar and garlic up, but not the same.
I do make my "Old Port" type cigarillos, using local wine and local herb, and that works.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Wasabi is grown at a secret location just outside of Winchester, Hampshire. It's the only place in Europe that produces wasabi.

It's been produced in Japan since 14,000BC. At that time, Britain was under an ice sheet.

Wasabi is related to horseradish, which is native to southeast Europe and western Asia. Ancient Greek mythology stated that the Oracle at Delphi told Apollo that horseradish is worth its weight in gold. The walls of a building in Pompeii were decorated with horseradish murals.

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Wasabi is grown at a secret location just outside of Winchester, Hampshire. It's the only place in Europe that produces wasabi.

It's been produced in Japan since 14,000BC. At that time, Britain was under an ice sheet.

Wasabi is related to horseradish, which is native to southeast Europe and western Asia. Ancient Greek mythology stated that the Oracle at Delphi told Apollo that horseradish is worth its weight in gold. The walls of a building in Pompeii were decorated with horseradish murals.

If you didn't know, you do now. Thanks for that, Blackleaf..... but I did get it the first time. ;-)

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wasabi. I pluck my own wild horseradish. Make your own pickles. Pickles are super easy to can and when the jar is empty add boiled eggs to the brine and wait a week.
Bread & Butter pickle brine, then add hard boiled eggs & banana peppers.....Sweet to eat with a hint of hot.....& completely lethal the next day for the unsuspecting.