What are your 'fringe' political ideas?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As far as I'm concerned, any income tax should be a flat %age and low, let's say 2 to 3% would suffice. The rest should be on resources for the most part.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In may ways, these are views that are similar to the Green Party's. It intended to lower income taxes and increase tax on gas. What we're presenting here though might be more extreme than what the Green Party was proposing, in that we're transfering almost the bulk of it onto resources. The NDP was having a fit over this because it would hurt the poor. Imagine what they'd thin of what we're saying here.

As for hurting the poor though, The Greens had a good point there too. They'd suggested that the government could give more money to help the poor because much of that money would come back through resource taxes anyway if those same poor consume too many resources. Addto that that a poor man would quickly change his mind about taking the car and would take public transit instead. Why should the poor not also be responsible for preserving resources? The Greens were right on this. Inasmuch as I want to help the poor, it has tobe a two-way street whereby they take care of our resources too.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I sense your position on Natives is less then stellar. I can accept that, I too have a less then stellar view of my own people.

I have no problem with natives. It is a simple fact that they were not very technologically advanced 500 years ago. That is not a negative comment. It is a simple reality. What I have issues with is people romanticizing their existence.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
But you can not support the assertion that we were essentially cavemen upon the European arrival.

I didn't say they were essentially cavemen. I said they were barely more advanced. From an anthropological standpoint, I am correct. The only argument would be what one considers "barely" to mean.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Many posters here seem to be taken with the idea of flat tax. It is regarded strictly as a fringe idea, by both liberals and conservatives, and rightly so.

The flat tax has to be revenue neutral, otherwise it is not a tax reform, but a tax cut. If we have a flat tax rate, obviously it will lower the taxes on the rich. The poor of course, pay no tax, so it doesn’t’ affect them. To compensate for the lower tax on the rich, the taxes on the middle class would have to go up. Middle classes will have to pay more so that the rich pay less.

Any politicians who suggests lowering taxes on the rich and increasing them on the middle classes will be committing political suicide. So it is strictly a fringe idea, I don’t see it happening. The issue has been talked about in USA for decades now, without getting any traction. And for very good reason.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I didn't say they were essentially cavemen. I said they were barely more advanced. From an anthropological standpoint, I am correct. The only argument would be what one considers "barely" to mean.

The fact that the Haudenosaunee had a democratic society centuries before the French or English puts them WELL above the "caveman" analogy.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Flint Knapping isn't metallurgy, but it isn't easy and doesn't happen
by accident. It's a technology unto itself...as would be simply staying
alive annually in Canada 500 (or 5000) years ago...

Two sides to the coin....

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
How is what?

Explain how they were not technologically above cavemen....and how their social superiority would not make up for any lack in technology. In other words, back up your claim and insult.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
without the help of the first nations people, Europeans would have had a hell of a time making it past the mouth of the St. Lawrence.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm just looking at both sides. The North Americans natives where overwhelmed
by European technology (& disease), but they didn't lack a sufficient level
of technology that most of us now don't have. One week without power
and heat in much of Canada in January might half the current population.
I get where you're both coming from. I think you both get where the
other is coming from....and I'm tired. Two sides of the same coin...

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I haven't insulted them. Perhaps you just need to fill out a hurt feelings report.

I'm going to take Bears advice and lead, and leave this alone. This one would not be any fun, and would only increase my blood pressure for no good reason.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Many posters here seem to be taken with the idea of flat tax. It is regarded strictly as a fringe idea, by both liberals and conservatives, and rightly so.

The flat tax has to be revenue neutral, otherwise it is not a tax reform, but a tax cut. If we have a flat tax rate, obviously it will lower the taxes on the rich. The poor of course, pay no tax, so it doesn’t’ affect them. To compensate for the lower tax on the rich, the taxes on the middle class would have to go up. Middle classes will have to pay more so that the rich pay less.

Any politicians who suggests lowering taxes on the rich and increasing them on the middle classes will be committing political suicide. So it is strictly a fringe idea, I don’t see it happening. The issue has been talked about in USA for decades now, without getting any traction. And for very good reason.

SirJoseph

My idea of a flat tax is one which would be assessed as to the worth of the person
at that year. Flat - however not being equal for all payers for obvious reasons.

The word "flat" to me indicates that it would be a tax which is easily computed by all people - even those who owe nothing - and those who taxed at the highest level of the taxation base - but that it is clear and easily computed without all the linguistic and mathematical gymnastics one has to go through annually, or worse having to pay another person to compute it for you.

Government has made taxation so complicated - it looks more like a ponzi scheme to me now than paying our fair share - which most people with reasonable intellect are willing to contribute. The anger is birthed in the unknowns of the Tax Code....
and the situation is so out of control, the nation loses untold billions in off-shore accounts in nations who welcome the investments which is domestic money being hidden from the government.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I doubt if there is EVER going to be agreement on what tax system is best, Personally I used to hate "income tax", but over the past couple of years since I became a "senior", I've grown quite fond of it,BUT that's because it's structured now to favour married seniors with disparate pension incomes, like this year I was able to unload $17,000 to the wife who has very little income, so it saved me a pisspot full of money. I'd feel a little more comfortable with the situation if Harper was a little closer to 65, because I think I see changes are a comin'. :lol::lol::lol: There's just too many powerful people who won't stand for this situation. But it's nice to take advantage of it while one can.