Washington Post highlights sections of Quebec’s Bill 96

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
It’s not law yet, however the Quebec Legislature voted 78 in favor and 29 against to pass the bill. It will likely become law next month.

Almost every section of this bill contravenes the Canadian constitution and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It looks like Fascism is now present in North America (Quebec).

The Washington Post (link below) does a good job of describing sections of the bill.

Here’s a more detailed summary of some of the more controversial sections of Bill 96:

1. Access to the Courts:
Court transcripts need to be translated to French even for trials which are held in English. This also applies to Quebecers who were schooled entirely in English in Quebec and who speak no French. The individual is left to pay for translation costs. So if someone cannot afford a translator, they are out of luck.

This is in direct violation of section 133 of the 1867 Constitution Act. This section guarantees that either English or French may be used "in any pleading" in the courts of Quebec or the rest of Canada and "in any process" issuing from those courts.

2. Access to Higher Education:
English speaking students who are studying at an English language junior college will be required to take an additional three French language courses in order to graduate and attend university. This will prevent very bright students that lack a proficiency in French from attending an English language university. Foreign students do not need to complete these three French courses to attend an English language university in Quebec. They can attend merely by providing their grade 12 diploma from their country of origin. So foreign students have more educational rights in terms of access to higher education than English speaking Quebec students.

3. Access to Health Care:
According to bill 96, access to health care in English is only guaranteed to historic English speakers in Quebec. So if a visitor from say New York needs urgent medical attention, he or she is out of luck. I guess all of the English language hospitals in Montreal (Lakeshore General, St. Mary’s, Montreal General, Jewish General, Royal Victoria, Montreal Children’s Hospital …etc) are only permitted to serve historic English speaking Quebeckers?

4. Companies with 25 or more employees need to acquire a Francization certificate:
So if a family run business in Quebec has say 27 employees (full time, part time …etc), and each employee is a family member who speaks English, then that company would no longer be permitted to stay open in Quebec. I can envision a good number of Quebec companies that produce goods for foreign export that operate in English, and have less than 50 employees will be forced to shut down.

5. The language police will be allowed to conduct searches without a warrant:
Not even real police officers are permitted to search your property without a warrant. So the language police will have even more powers that the real police.

Overall, if these provisions of Bill 96 are put into law, then Canada is no longer permitted to call out foreign countries overseas in regards to human violations. These countries would have very good reason to point the finger right back at Canada.

Let’s hope that word of this bill spreads quickly so the world will get an idea of what’s happening in Quebec. Imposing economic sanctions on Quebec would not be out of the cards. It’s a very real possibility given the extreme nature of the bill.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Here’s another Bill 96 article by Reuters.

This has gone international, which is what we want for this pro-hate law. Foreign governments need to know that legislated racism is alive and well in Quebec. Let’s see how fast Quebec backtracks once it’s faced with economic sanctions.

To those of us who are acquainted with senators or congressmen in the U.S. or Europe, we need to send them a detailed outline of Bill 96. This is the only way for the world to know that Quebec is deliberately implementing a law containing serious human rights violations.

Eventually every one of those CAQ and QS MNAs who voted in favor of this racist bill will be exposed at the international level. They should be brought before the courts and individually sued via civil lawsuit for human rights violations.

Each and every one of these CAQ and QS politicians swore an oath to respect the Canadian constitution. As such, they are liable for pain and suffering caused by their actions.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It’s not law yet, however the Quebec Legislature voted 78 in favor and 29 against to pass the bill. It will likely become law next month.

Almost every section of this bill contravenes the Canadian constitution and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It looks like Fascism is now present in North America (Quebec).

The Washington Post (link below) does a good job of describing sections of the bill.

Here’s a more detailed summary of some of the more controversial sections of Bill 96:

1. Access to the Courts:
Court transcripts need to be translated to French even for trials which are held in English. This also applies to Quebecers who were schooled entirely in English in Quebec and who speak no French. The individual is left to pay for translation costs. So if someone cannot afford a translator, they are out of luck.

This is in direct violation of section 133 of the 1867 Constitution Act. This section guarantees that either English or French may be used "in any pleading" in the courts of Quebec or the rest of Canada and "in any process" issuing from those courts.

2. Access to Higher Education:
English speaking students who are studying at an English language junior college will be required to take an additional three French language courses in order to graduate and attend university. This will prevent very bright students that lack a proficiency in French from attending an English language university. Foreign students do not need to complete these three French courses to attend an English language university in Quebec. They can attend merely by providing their grade 12 diploma from their country of origin. So foreign students have more educational rights in terms of access to higher education than English speaking Quebec students.

3. Access to Health Care:
According to bill 96, access to health care in English is only guaranteed to historic English speakers in Quebec. So if a visitor from say New York needs urgent medical attention, he or she is out of luck. I guess all of the English language hospitals in Montreal (Lakeshore General, St. Mary’s, Montreal General, Jewish General, Royal Victoria, Montreal Children’s Hospital …etc) are only permitted to serve historic English speaking Quebeckers?

4. Companies with 25 or more employees need to acquire a Francization certificate:
So if a family run business in Quebec has say 27 employees (full time, part time …etc), and each employee is a family member who speaks English, then that company would no longer be permitted to stay open in Quebec. I can envision a good number of Quebec companies that produce goods for foreign export that operate in English, and have less than 50 employees will be forced to shut down.

5. The language police will be allowed to conduct searches without a warrant:
Not even real police officers are permitted to search your property without a warrant. So the language police will have even more powers that the real police.

Overall, if these provisions of Bill 96 are put into law, then Canada is no longer permitted to call out foreign countries overseas in regards to human violations. These countries would have very good reason to point the finger right back at Canada.

Let’s hope that word of this bill spreads quickly so the world will get an idea of what’s happening in Quebec. Imposing economic sanctions on Quebec would not be out of the cards. It’s a very real possibility given the extreme nature of the bill.
So, that means the rest of the country no longer gets french rammed down throats. No more bilingual packaging. No more priority for french speakers for government jobs. Learn English or get out of the country.

Reactions: no color

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Each and every one of these CAQ and QS politicians swore an oath to respect the Canadian constitution. As such, they are liable for pain and suffering caused by their actions.
They didn't swear any kind of oath to the Constitution. Quebec isn't even a fucking signatory to the Constitution.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
They didn't swear any kind of oath to the Constitution. Quebec isn't even a fucking signatory to the Constitution.
Quebec MNAs swear an oath to the Queen upon taking office. Swearing an oath to the Queen does not infer that they are monarchists. It means that they recognize and accept Canada's system of democratic, rights-based government, which the Crown symbolizes.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
So, that means the rest of the country no longer gets french rammed down throats. No more bilingual packaging. No more priority for french speakers for government jobs. Learn English or get out of the country.
Would be nice if the rest of the provinces implement reciprocal laws. Unfortunately other provinces have a problem with imposing serious human rights violations upon it’s citizens. So this will never happen.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Quebec MNAs swear an oath to the Queen upon taking office. Swearing an oath to the Queen does not infer that they are monarchists. It means that they recognize and accept Canada's system of democratic, rights-based government, which the Crown symbolizes.
And yet Bill 96 completely contradicts that rights-based govt which the Crown symbolizes because, to put it bluntly, the Quebecois* only recognizes the Crown when it directly benefits them. Otherwise they'd have signed the goddam Constitution.
Those Quebecois* are of the same ilk who refused to go fight "England's War" with Germany despite the fact it was France that was overrun with the bastards.

Disclaimer: Quebecois are not to be confused with normal French-Canadians who live in Quebec. There IS a difference.

Reactions: taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Would be nice if the rest of the provinces implement reciprocal laws. Unfortunately other provinces have a problem with imposing serious human rights violations upon it’s citizens. So this will never happen.
Having just English as the official language is not a human rights violation. ANyone not wishing to learn the official language of the country they live in is free to hire a translator at their own expense.

Reactions: Jinentonix

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In my various travels around Canada, I've met two people who weren't fluent in English. One in NB, one in Quebec. Both of 'em were old.

This ain't about languages. It's about dividing the country into "us" and "them," and everybody who falls for it is either stupid or making money/power off it.

Or both.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Both my parents came from Quebec, but they insisted that we learn both french and English...
I went one step further...I encouraged my kids to play with English kids, so that unlike me they would learn to speak English without the french accent.!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What is wrong with bilingual packaging you don't have to read the french part......
This reminds me of something that happened at work...years ago
A bunch of us in our work shack Tom, a polish fellow and I...
The job pipefiter, electrician and millwright all french, were having coffee with us
we were having a conversation in french while Tom was reading a book, when the foreman walked in.
I finished what I was saying (in french) then then looked up at him inquiringly?
That's when he said all insulted :You could have switched to english before I walked in!
That's when I got mad and told him,
If all of us were to get stranded in a small Mexican village, all of us including Tom whom you probably think is a stupid pollock would try to learn Spanish "Mexican" while you would expect the whole damn village to learn english!
That's when he walked out in a huff we never saw him the rest of the week..... but I don't think he knew that Tom, a neighbour of mine was married to a french lady and was fluent in French English and Polish!

Last edited:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
What is wrong with bilingual packaging you don't have to read the french part......
Packaging and labeling are the most expensive part of pretty much any product that comes packaged. More wording means higher costs. Repeating the same wording in a different language is the same as more wording.
Years ago I knew someone who was selling jewelry cleaner/polish for $10. It wasn't really a scam as it did work as advertised but anyone could make it with a couple of household ingredients and distilled water. His ingredient cost for a 4oz bottle was literally pennies. But his packaging and label costs were just north of $2 per unit. Since he only sold his product within the region he lived in he wasn't required to have bilingual labeling, saving him 35% on labeling costs.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This reminds me of something that happened at work...years ago
A bunch of us in our work shack Tom, a polish fellow and I...
The job pipefiter, electrician and millwright all french, were having coffee with us
we were having a conversation in french while Tom was reading a book, when the foreman walked in.
I finished what I was saying (in french) then then looked up at him inquiringly?
That's when he said all insulted :You could have switched to english before I walked in!
That's when I got mad and told him,
If all of us were to get stranded in a small Mexican village, all of us including Tom whom you probably think is a stupid pollock would try to learn Spanish "Mexican" while you would expect the whole damn village to learn english!
That's when he walked out in a huff we never saw him the rest of the week..... but I don't think he knew that Tom, a neighbour of mine was married to a french lady and was fluent in French English and Polish!
So why do people in Quebec not learn English? It would be a lot simpler and much less expensive for taxpayers. Of course then turdOWE and his band of con artists would have to find a new way to keep the majority of the civil service jobs for French speakers.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
So why do people in Quebec not learn English? It would be a lot simpler and much less expensive for taxpayers. Of course then turdOWE and his band of con artists would have to find a new way to keep the majority of the civil service jobs for French speakers.
Those who work in public service in Montreal do indeed speak English. Most Montreal residents can also speak English. On my side, I don’t work in public service so am not bilingual. Never had any motivation to learn French due to the racist language laws.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Looks like the New York Times is also reporting on this racist piece of legislation. I’m hoping that word of bill 96 keeps spreading globally to the extent where foreign countries start considering economic sanctions against Quebec for serious human rights violations.

Shortly before the province’s National Assembly in Quebec City passed the bill, Julius Grey, a prominent human rights lawyer in the province, called it “the most gratuitous use of power I’ve ever seen.”

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
It looks like Bill 96 is starting to have an immediate impact on the livelihoods of immigrants who are already living in Quebec.

The controversial Bill 96, which enacts French language reform laws across Quebec, is making non-French-speaking immigrants like Alena Matushina reconsider their future in the province.

It’s a crying shame.