Vertical farms could take over the world

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have a nice cuke I started a month ago. I'll be taking cuttings soon.

Attachments

• 20220416_192655.jpg
    20220416_192655.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Building one of these 'vertical farm' operations is eye wateringly expensive and while it may suit some places it's not for everyone it's been tried (unsuccessfully) a bunch of times here in Vancouver and the issue isn't growing food it's growing the right food at the right time.

Sure it's nice to have a tonne of Cucumbers but if it's summertime locally Cukes are pennies apiece and you're giving them away no one is paying $2/per how then are you going to make the electricity bill this month?

Similarly Mexico produces much of our produce and Canadian companies are intimately involved there not only in growing but transportation as well they know the market inside out what sells when & what doesn't & why.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Building one of these 'vertical farm' operations is eye wateringly expensive and while it may suit some places it's not for everyone it's been tried (unsuccessfully) a bunch of times here in Vancouver and the issue isn't growing food it's growing the right food at the right time.

Sure it's nice to have a tonne of Cucumbers but if it's summertime locally Cukes are pennies apiece and you're giving them away no one is paying $2/per how then are you going to make the electricity bill this month?

Similarly Mexico produces much of our produce and Canadian companies are intimately involved there not only in growing but transportation as well they know the market inside out what sells when & what doesn't & why.
I've seen small hydroponic systems in grocery stores growing herbs. I found they aren't as flavourful or as aromatic. They can't compare to dirt, air and sunshine grown herbs.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Speaking of competitive businesses I just happened across this video about large scale irrigation projects in Peru-billions of dollars being spent two new cities being built to house & service workers and Yes I have seen some Peruvian produce in stores here (Garlic & Avocados mostly) apparently that's just the tip of the iceberg this produce is meant to be sold here in Canada and some select European markets.