US Stock Market Officially Crashes

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
DJ closing Friday = 25,864.78 (down from 26,121.28 )
Yep looks "like the recession's over" alright. lol

I see you are getting a chance to sleep it off, when you get up can you explain why a short term drop in the stock market is a recession? Doesn't it take 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth to be called a recession?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I see you are getting a chance to sleep it off, when you get up can you explain why a short term drop in the stock market is a recession? Doesn't it take 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth to be called a recession?
and inflation higher than GDP growth.

That's guaranteed in 3 weeks.

AnnaE

Time Out
Jan 31, 2020
I didn't bring up the term. JLM did that. See the quotes? I was just rubbing his face in it, so to speak.
I know it was a market correction.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I didn't bring up the term. JLM did that. See the quotes? I was just rubbing his face in it, so to speak.
I know it was a market correction.

Yeah, your trend of rubbing people's faces in things, hasn't gone unnoticed! :)

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Ho ho, Pete, both Dow and TSX are DOWN 1800 - 1900 points this morning. I'm sure a lot of drawers will be getting laundered today.
Yes mutual funds will be shedding value . Lots of retirement dollars out of the mix .

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes mutual funds will be shedding value . Lots of retirement dollars out of the mix .

No worries they are starting to climb again. Best advice right now is probably "do nothing". Paper losses are cheap!

B00Mer

Make Canada Great Again
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.canadianforums.ca
This is a great time to buy stocks..

Travel sites, cruise lines and airlines, some have taken a 42% hit, petroleum stocks great buy right now..

Great time when people are in panic over Covid-19 and the Saudi/Russia price war on oil.

There are going to be a few that get stinking rich during this time.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
This is a great time to buy stocks..

Travel sites, cruise lines and airlines, some have taken a 42% hit, petroleum stocks great buy right now..

Great time when people are in panic over Covid-19 and the Saudi/Russia price war on oil.

There are going to be a few that get stinking rich during this time.
And lots going hungry this summer . Tourist trade is going to take a big hit .