undemocratic Americans?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie not sure what you were getting at in this... but it just caught my eye this morning ...

The lower classes in the U.S. are the ones who are using the concept to their advantage.
Even those who have no legal 'rights' from the government or the people who pay taxes, but they are well endowed in the concept of 'human rights'.

See, the article asserts that 'lower class' and 'less educated' american citizens are willing to strip others of rights such as free speech, as they don't have a true understanding of democracy... only the well educated do according to the assertions of the OP.

Many here have jumped on it as 'proof' of sorts with the inherent flaws in Americans. I was merely pointing out that the article seems overly narrow in targeting americans for such research. I would wager that Canadians would do as poorly as well.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Actually, I've found it generally to be those of the wealthy and powerful classes who try to strip away rights. Republicans for example.

And overwhelmingly, the republican's voter base is? drumroll please.... less educated! Ta-da!

Whereas, almost every student walking out of a college or university door is 'liberal'.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Stupid comes in all stripes and classes. No one's got a monopoly. Given too its perception is significantly subjective, it can appear anywhere.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I tend to not put a lot of stock into studies rehashed in news articles anyway. But, if they figure that the less educated are more willing to override the democratic process, well, perhaps they're right. I can really only discuss it based on what the article says, ya know? (okay, I take little shots of overgeneralization at republicans too, but that's just for fun, lol)

My original point still stands... if the less educated are more willing to override the democratic process to strip groups of rights such as free speech, I doubt it's unique to americans.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thanks Karrie

I see what you were saying now....

Some people argue politics .... I think the guilt lies on both sides as the political picture changes so often down here ... and it seems mandatory someone be blamed. I hardly think any one party can take full honors - the workers in government seem to have a vested interest in keeping the status quo no matter who sits in the white house down the line.

Nobody queries the government. I mean the people who operate the government. Who would dare?

Canadian complaints don't amount to a fly speck compared with the criticisms being offered within the nation itself. It is a roiling mass of argument .... which is one reason I love living here... but to other nations, perhaps it seems a sad failure.... or a necessary nation to compare more successful programs with....let the finger pointing continue.... the mythology add spice to one's life....

I simply prefer the independence of it all and am willing to admit failure along with the many successes few discuss here.... or in the media......it's a matter of choice. I've made mine.
I like belonging and having a say... and in a tiny way...making a difference.

We in our western world are so lucky we can write these things and speak them out loud and never suffer for it as many have done in other places in other times.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The democrats always pander to urban areas where there are TA DA... less educated people. They are the ones who like to keep giving hand outs so they continue to vote the Democratic ticket come election time. I would guess that anyone who is on any government assistance votes Democratic.

What the Dems have tried to do and have done successfully is pit poor minorities against poor white people. Also put the burden onto the middle class. It is the Liberal elite telling the the poor, lower middle class, and middle class that they must sacrifice for what was done over one hundred years ago. The wealthy liberals will ALWAYS have their trust funds, houses in the country, private schools, etc.

Examples are forced bussing, affirmative action.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I must echo karrie - since Civics are no longer taught in grade school, and who even here has a deep understanding of their civil rights, would the average Canuck's understanding of our political system and the concepts that underpin it be all that much better than the average American's?

Bring back Civics classes.

Pangloss

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
The democrats always pander to urban areas where there are TA DA... less educated people.

Actually, ES, the educated tend to live in and around urban centers - that's where the head office jobs are.

Read "The Rise Of The Creative Class" by Richard Florida for a thorough study of the demographics.

Pangloss

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
which makes the British claim to the islands definitely more legitimate than Argentina's or anyone else's

Well, some Brits still refer to the USA as the 'colonies' so I see where that's coming from. :)