Unclear wording of CERB eligibility means some recipients asked to pay everything back

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Unclear wording of CERB eligibility means some recipients asked to pay everything back​

Some Canadians who applied for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit are being asked to repay the entire sum by Dec. 31 because of one word that was never mentioned in the original application, an unclear communication that recipients say is confusing and unfair.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...pients-asked-to-pay-everything-back-1.5218791

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This is the problem whenever the government tries to "help" people. Same thing with OAP. Based on last year's income, which normally would be a full year of work for most people. So, the money you need this year because you are no longer making good money since retiring isn't available because you made too much money last year.

TheShadow

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2020
Grand Bend
I think while the idea was good, we all knew the gov't would screw it up.

I'm actually ok with the gov't screwing up on a small percentage scale because you know they can look at the small number of cases and make adjustments or exceptions and the majority of the need it was intended for. So 1 to 5% is almost expected. I mean, you would love for it all to be perfect but you know it won't be.

I am not sure what the screw up percentage is on this one but knowing Trudeau, it's waaay more than acceptable.

Reactions: Mowich and taxslave

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
But Toronto tax lawyer David Rotfleisch says there may be a straight-forward option for these CERB recipients to avoid the repayments.

"There is no obligation for a taxpayer to claim expenses," says Rotfleisch, founder of Rotfleisch and Samulovitch Professional Corporation.

Self-employed CERB recipients who have filed their 2019 taxes should be able to easily amend their return by filing a T1-ADJ form on which they can reduce the expenses they claimed so that their net income rises above the $5,000 eligibility threshold, Rotfleisch says.

Read more: CERB was collected by high-income earners, new data shows

"By potentially paying some tax ... you will be able to claim and keep the whole CERB," Rotfleisch says.

Gennaro De Luca, a certified financial planner who regularly helps small business owners with their taxes, also says amending one's tax return should be "an easy way" to adjust net income reported to the CRA.

"If, in fact, your gross revenue was above $5,000, you could eliminate some of your expenses and get your net revenue of $5,000 to fix that," he says......More Here

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Nope, but you won't be allowed to vote and when it comes to time to collect your OAS, they'll take it out of that.

Can you please provide a link that shows you can't vote if you owe RCA money. I Googled it and couldn't find squat..

Never heard of any Canadian losing voting rights because of owing money to the RCA.. The USA they take your passport, you can't leave the USA 👮‍♂️🚔

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Can you please provide a link that shows you can't vote if you owe RCA money. I Googled it and couldn't find squat..

Never heard of any Canadian losing voting rights.. The USA they take your passport, you can't leave the USA 👮‍♂️🚔
Yep it's true. I've been denied the vote in the last two federal elections and the last Ontario election because of a fraudulent audit. An audit they didn't even tell me about until AFTER the 5 year period to challenge their findings was up. Pretty sad when the CRA will let corporate tax cheats walk away but will go hard after the little guy.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Things were pretty uncertain in camp when to poop hit the fan in March, we were told we could stay or we could leave but that we would be locked out or locked in indefinately. I chose to leave and applied for EI when I got home because I didn't have a clue how long it was going to last. That was just about the time they were rolling out the CERB stuff and it was said that any EI applications would automatically be rolled over to a CERB claim. Fair enough. Sent in my first EI report and a couple grand shows up in my account the next day. The a couple of weeks later the EIU payments start rolling in. As it turned out I was only off work for four weeks as they came with a plan for work. I figured I better talk to someone about getting both EI and CERB for the four weeks and was told that I would probably be asked to repay it someday but not to sweat it at the time, they weren't even looking at that yet. The story at that point was that they would probably straighten it out at tax time. Haven't heard a peep since.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Things were pretty uncertain in camp when to poop hit the fan in March, we were told we could stay or we could leave but that we would be locked out or locked in indefinately. I chose to leave and applied for EI when I got home because I didn't have a clue how long it was going to last. That was just about the time they were rolling out the CERB stuff and it was said that any EI applications would automatically be rolled over to a CERB claim. Fair enough. Sent in my first EI report and a couple grand shows up in my account the next day. The a couple of weeks later the EIU payments start rolling in. As it turned out I was only off work for four weeks as they came with a plan for work. I figured I better talk to someone about getting both EI and CERB for the four weeks and was told that I would probably be asked to repay it someday but not to sweat it at the time, they weren't even looking at that yet. The story at that point was that they would probably straighten it out at tax time. Haven't heard a peep since.

Hello Sir..

This is Revenue Canada, we monitor Canadian Content for Tax Cheats.. thank you for your cooperation..

They know now :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Twin_Moose