U.S. creationist's invitation as speaker for Alberta homeschooling draws fire

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
An Alberta homeschooling group that came under fire in 2016 for booking controversial reality-TV couple Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar for its annual convention is again facing heat — this time for inviting a leading U.S. creationist to speak.

Ken Ham is listed as one of three keynote speakers at the annual Alberta Home Education Association (AHEA) convention next April in Red Deer.

Ham, an Australian native, has built a thriving ministry in Kentucky. He is the president and CEO of Answers in Genesis ministry, which focuses "on providing answers to questions about the Bible — particularly the book of Genesis — regarding key issues such as creation, evolution, science, and the age of the earth."

In describing itself on its website, Answers in Genesis says: "We also desire to train others to develop a biblical worldview, and seek to expose the bankruptcy of evolutionary ideas, and its bedfellow, a "millions of years old" earth (and even older universe) ... the Bible — the "history book of the universe" — provides a reliable, eyewitness account of the beginning of all things, and can be trusted to tell the truth in all areas it touches on."

The ministry also runs the Creation Museum and Ark Encounter in Kentucky.

Calgarian Paul Ens says he walked away from his Christian faith after reading Ham's creationist literature and started a YouTube channel dedicated to debunking Ham's teachings.

"As a citizen of Alberta and a father, I'm very concerned that Ken Ham is being brought in on multiple levels — primarily that he is a science denier. He denies evolution, he denies the age of the Earth," Ens said.

He says the fact Alberta's Home Education Association has booked Ham to speak raises questions.

"It signals to me that this homeschool group is not serious about following provincial curriculum or proper science education for their children," he said.

Top U.S. creationist's invitation as keynote speaker for Alberta homeschooling convention draws fire - Calgary - CBC News

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I'm guessing by the results of the last election you must be a generation late
:)
schooled at school were you?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I mean if they were to talk about the spirit of the deer and the great eagle, fine. I mean that's some real good ish right there.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
the spirit of the deer and the great eagle,

Hell, tater tot goes out of his way to play in that sandbox.

... It's fact after all

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Ken Ham is listed as one of three keynote speakers at the annual Alberta Home Education Association (AHEA) convention next April in Red Deer.

That Ken Ham is going to speak to the Alberta Home Education Association and he is going to completely change the fabric of Canada!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Do you believe there should be no educational standards? Are you really interested in raising a generation of Trumpites?

I see. A guest speaker at an annual meeting sets the curriculum?

When I was President of the local Rotary Club, we had Ron MacLean as a guest speaker. Did that make us all pro hockey players?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I see. A guest speaker at an annual meeting sets the curriculum?

Of course not. It does however, reflect on the organization when as a educational organization they invite a science denier. What if the Toronto Police Association invited David Duke to speak? How about the Calgary Minor Hockey Association having Graham James?

Last edited: