Trump’s Remarks on Charlottesville Violence Are Criticized as Insufficient

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

BRIDGEWATER, N.J. — President Trump is rarely reluctant to express his opinion, but he is often seized by caution when addressing the violence and vitriol of white nationalists, neo-Nazis and alt-right activists, some of whom are his supporters.

After days of genially bombastic interactions with the news media on North Korea and the shortcomings of congressional Republicans, Mr. Trump on Saturday condemned the bloody protests in Charlottesville, Va., in what critics in both parties saw as muted, equivocal terms.

During a brief and uncomfortable address to reporters at his golf resort in Bedminster, N.J., he called for an end to the violence. But he was the only national political figure to spread blame for the “hatred, bigotry and violence” that resulted in the death of one person to “many sides.”

For the most part, Republican leaders and other allies have kept quiet over several months about Mr. Trump’s outbursts and angry Twitter posts. But recently they have stopped averting their gazes and on Saturday a handful criticized his reaction to Charlottesville as insufficient.

“Mr. President — we must call evil by its name,” tweeted Senator Cory Gardner, Republican from Colorado, who oversees the National Republican Senatorial Committee, the campaign arm of the Senate Republicans.

“These were white supremacists and this was domestic terrorism,” he added, a description several of his colleagues used.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/...st-riot.html?referer=https://news.google.com/

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That is because he has been inciting hatred and must take responsibility for what happened there. He gave those asshole license to kill with his hate speech during the campaign and since being in office. But don't expect him to take responsibility. Psychopaths never do.

After the revolting display of racism and violence today in Virginia, Trump refused to take sides against the Nazi protestors. When 6 million Jews were murdered by Nazis, it wasn't because of hate on "both sides". You are hideous, 45. The world eagerly awaits your impeachment.

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
Pick a topic any topic and trump is all bluster void of substance, hopefully cooler heads will prevail on matters from north korea to virginia
Anyhow those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it and trying to ignore history by tearing down a statue representative of a dark time only serves loopy apologists. Poland constantly reminds the world the death camps on their turf were not polish death camps rather nazi death camps. Even so poland did not tear them down they see Auschwitz as a vivid reminder of mans inhumanity to man and preserve the site as a real time reminder. The statue should be preserved for the same reason imo.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Racism has been wiped out a long time ago, since multiculturalism was invented millions of years ago. This is obviously a simple misunderstanding.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
But bigotry is alive and doing well in the Dumpster and your heads, Angst.

"And you think you're so clever and classless and free
But you're still fukking peasants as far as I can see."
John Lennon

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

John Lennon

Not at all, No bigotry here. I have emotional response at times, but multiculturalism is alive and well.
Right now there is only you're bigotry towards me

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Were you in attendance, Angstrom?

[youtube]gld84wPItqc[/youtube]

Not really. Im spending way to much time making multiculturalism work by raising my French Native American Italian Irish children to have any time to waste on things that no longer exist.

And is in our past.

But i bet you are wasting your time thinking you should protest their march :)

The KKK has been irrelevant for to long for me to even bother thinking about them

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

John Lennon
Poor Wally. Zappa was thinking of you when he wrote this:

justlooking

Council Member
May 19, 2017

I'm pretty sure that Trump could have shown up at the Charlottesville jail with the AG,
slapped the driver upside the head, and you would say is wasn't enough.
And virtue signaling turncoat Republicans will see themselves off at the next election.

Poor Wally. Zappa was thinking of you when he wrote this:
So, when are you going to Virginia ?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
If you're stupid enough to go protest a black life matter march then mybe you are intentionally putting yourself at needless risk. Things are equally true about a black persons protesting a KKK rally. Sometimes you got to tell yourself. I knew exactly what I was getting myself into.

But lets give this thing way more press then it obviously deserves shall we.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Wow, the trump haters are out in force putting their idea of what is hate down, while supporting their own "justifiable with nothing" hate as right

Such a sad bunch really...worse then letting illegals vote.

....and cliffy, soros the funder of much anti trump hate was a hitler helper, aiding the nazis sticking jews on the train, so you while you are helping HIM, you know where you can stick those flags dooood.
Really.

...and there is mental floss, using terror events to push his hate agenda, while putting someone down for not doing what he says is enough.
That's some sick Hypocricy you got there..

That's actually sick.

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Wow, the trump haters are out in force putting their idea of what is hate down, while supporting their own "justifiable with nothing" hate as right

Such a sad bunch really...worse then letting illegals vote.

....and cliffy, soros the funder of much anti trump hate was a hitler helper, aiding the nazis sticking jews on the train, so you while you are helping HIM, you know where you can stick those flags dooood.
Really.

...and there is mental floss, using terror events to push his hate agenda, while putting someone down for not doing what he says is enough.
That's some sick Hypocricy you got there..

That's actually sick.

Maybe, the first "shots" of the Second American Civil War have just been "fired" with the Tea Bagger, Alt-Right conspiracy theorizing Neo-Nazi Trump supporters against the more peaceful part of America.

I wonder who is going to win?

justlooking

Council Member
May 19, 2017

Shhhh, stop trying to tell Cliffy the truth about things, it will hurt his feelings.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Found you..

A federal judge on Wednesday refused to dismiss corruption charges against Sen. Bob Menendez before trial, rejecting an attempt by the senator to get his indictment tossed out.

U.S. District Court Judge William H. Walls did not rule on arguments made by Menendez attorneys that the U.S. Supreme Court’s reversal of a corruption conviction for former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell meant Menendez’s indictment should be thrown out. Walls said that can’t be determined until the case goes to trial.

Judge Declines to Toss Out Menendez Corruption Charges Before Trial | | Observer