Trudeau Spending Risks Fueling ‘Inflationary Fire,’ CIBC Says

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

This guy just doesn't care - he's doing this to try to 'win points' knowing that it'll drive up inflation and thus drive up interest rates like crazy which will hurt the same people he's "helping" even MORE in the future. As well as leading to a deeper and longer recession.

Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Can you imagine Trudeau as the Fire Chief at a fire? "Gasoline! We need more gasoline!"
You know honestly, thinking about it it's more like watching an elderly couple fighting over the thermostat. Trudeau's trying to jack things up while the boc is trying to calm things down

Boc - the economy is all too hot up here, we have to turn the temperature down ( increases rates - turns thermostat down)

T - but I don't like it cold. More people like me when it's hot (increases spending and free money - turns up thermostat)

Boc - we have to turn it down or inflation will go crazy (turns down thermostat)

T - but people only vote for me when it's up. I'm going to give them a bunch of money (turns up thermostat)

Boc - well then we have to raise interest rates more to keep that under control and cool things off (turns down thermostat)

Meanwhile, half of Canadians die of Heat stroke, the other half die from frostbite

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Here's a shocker...

Trudeau's a fuckin' idiot for this and throwing cash out just because of a 'surplus' is not going to help. Actually do things to make it so people DON'T need extra money to pay their goddamn rents/living expenses, like regulate rent increases for one.

But then I'm not one of those 'lucky' people that'll get any of that cash he's offering to dole out.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Here's a shocker...

Trudeau's a fuckin' idiot for this and throwing cash out just because of a 'surplus' is not going to help. Actually do things to make it so people DON'T need extra money to pay their goddamn rents/living expenses, like regulate rent increases for one.

But then I'm not one of those 'lucky' people that'll get any of that cash he's offering to dole out.
Honestly (and i may get pilloried by some of the more right leaning here for saying this), he desperately needed to improve supply chains and find a way to take the excess money he dumped into the economy back out.

And aside from some specific supply chain things, the smartest way to do that would have been to tell the bank to keep interest rates a LITTLE lower and raised the GST while keeping spending lighter. GST tends to be a discretionary tax that discourages buying unnecessary things while not affecting critical things like housing and food. Pocket that money to use as stimulous spending if necessary in case the economy cools too much. Put a time limit on it - like 2 years - so people will hold off on major purchases where possible. Give extra 'exemptions' to things people really need. And reduce the carbon tax - gst still applies to gas but businesses can claim it back.

With the feds and the BOC at complete odds with reagards to monetary and fiscal policy, with trudeau dumping money in and hte BOC jacking up rates to get the money out, it's going to really hurt a lot of people in the long run.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

This guy just doesn't care - he's doing this to try to 'win points' knowing that it'll drive up inflation and thus drive up interest rates like crazy which will hurt the same people he's "helping" even MORE in the future. As well as leading to a deeper and longer recession.
The CDN dollar should be at near par with US and Euro. O&G should be carrying us past any downturns. Trudeau is deflating the dollar making inflation worse.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The CDN dollar should be at near par with US and Euro. O&G should be carrying us past any downturns. Trudeau is deflating the dollar making inflation worse.
That's one of the ways harper got through the great recession. Trudeau has as many ways to screw us up as harper did to keep us in good shape

Reactions: petros

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Here's a shocker...

The problem, well actually one of many with regulated rents is that the government does not regulate owners costs. BC did this to buy votes during the panic. Not only did they freeze rents, they upped taxes, as did municipal governments. SO why should anyone want to build rental units if the government is going to legislate you into a loss? In BC I think the government is doing this to justify more government owned rental units. This, of course requires many more government employees to control all these buildings. They want to control everything.