Tim Hortons

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Blah! :p you should not be eating donuts anyway bevvy...yur fingers will get fat, and than you won't be able to get that diamond off or on your finger :p :wink:

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Re: RE: Tim Hortons

dmorrison38 said:
Hey I work for tim hortons and i'd just like to point out that there is a very good reason that we use and encourage the use of paper cups is because we are timed for how quickly we can deliver an order. We have to make a certain average time per order or consequences will ensue. If someone comes to the drivethru window with a travel mug, it means that we cannot prepare the coffee beforehand and thus the order will be slower. This unfortunately is another example of profit over the environment, but it is one that all tim hortons employees are happy to comply with; after all, the customers do pay our wages. Thats my comment feel free to agree or disagree with me on the logic behind this but just remember its not my logic....its the head honchos @ tim hortons

TD Bank tried the same thing many years ago. Every customer was to be served in 30 seconds or less. The customers hated being rushed, not being spoken to (never ask a little old lady how she is doing when your in a hurry) and they especially hated being rushed while dealing with money and other portfolio funds. It back fired on them big time.

I'm not sure where you are exactly but my daughter worked for TH in the lower mainland about 2 years ago and there was nothing about serving customers within a specified time frame.

aj19_84

Nov 7, 2005
yvie said:
There are two things that are very Canadian; the environment and Tim Hortons coffee. Unfortunatly these two things don't always go together. Tim Hortons coffee cups cannot be recycled by most facilaties and are filling up landfills. It's very sad, because it is so easy to use a travel mug.

Please sign this petition asking Tim Hortons to be more environmentally friendly.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/268476999

are you serious!?!? how can you blame tim hortons for having inconsiderate customers who litter everywhere!?!? they have posters in the stores asking customers not to litter, it's written right on the cups for gosh sake! what more do you want?? I only say this because I am a Tim Hortons operations manager and I know what these complaints are about, but how can you possibly blame us for other people's sloppiness!! we clean up after these idiot people every day in and around our stores and that's as much as we can do! it would be better if you were to complain about the amount of litter to complain to the city or municipalities to get the government workers out there cleaning up streets and in public areas like they're supposed to!!

as for a deposit on the cups, do you really think people will bother bringing back these cups for 5 or 10 cents, it's not worth it, and what do we want with stacks of dirty cups in our stores, they would just get thrown out when they can easily do that themselves, but why doesn't the government create advertisements for the sloppy idiots littering our streets to promote a clean environment!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
[quote="aj19_84
are you serious!?!? how can you blame tim hortons for having inconsiderate customers who litter everywhere!?!? [/quote]

Because it's far easier to blame a successful business than it is to expect ordinary people to act like responsible adults.

I live in a neighborhood where there is a lot of house and road construction going on; one day, my neighbor came home and found five empty Tim's cups on his lawn. He picked them up, and carried them over to the paving crew, saying, "Here, I think you guys dropped something." Sometimes you have to start small and personal.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
aj19_84 said:
yvie said:
There are two things that are very Canadian; the environment and Tim Hortons coffee. Unfortunatly these two things don't always go together. Tim Hortons coffee cups cannot be recycled by most facilaties and are filling up landfills. It's very sad, because it is so easy to use a travel mug.

Please sign this petition asking Tim Hortons to be more environmentally friendly.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/268476999

are you serious!?!? how can you blame tim hortons for having inconsiderate customers who litter everywhere!?!? they have posters in the stores asking customers not to litter, it's written right on the cups for gosh sake! what more do you want?? I only say this because I am a Tim Hortons operations manager and I know what these complaints are about, but how can you possibly blame us for other people's sloppiness!! we clean up after these idiot people every day in and around our stores and that's as much as we can do! it would be better if you were to complain about the amount of litter to complain to the city or municipalities to get the government workers out there cleaning up streets and in public areas like they're supposed to!!

as for a deposit on the cups, do you really think people will bother bringing back these cups for 5 or 10 cents, it's not worth it, and what do we want with stacks of dirty cups in our stores, they would just get thrown out when they can easily do that themselves, but why doesn't the government create advertisements for the sloppy idiots littering our streets to promote a clean environment!

AJ,

I'm not sure where you are from but here in BC we have paid a recycling and deposit fee on our bottles and cans for years, you get all or most of it back when you return your empties. It gives incentive to return things for recycling, it's also a great fund raiser and helps the landfill sites. Not to mention in some areas the recycling depots are work centres for the disabled. Recycling is a win win situation.

McDonalds has had to put clean up crews out in the communities that they operate in as they feel they have a responsibility to the community to help keep it clean. These workers aren't out there picking up candy bar wrappers or chip bags, just McDonalds wrappers.

FYI

aj19_84

Nov 7, 2005
I agree and if the Tim Hortons cups could be recycled then I may sign that petition, but the wax coating on the cups prevent that because that is what customers want. I am an extreme recycler because I do care about the environment, but the truth is, Tim Hortons cannot recycle these paper cups. It would be largely impractical to put a "deposit" on them.

However, since we have switched our fountain pop to the cans and bottles of pop, I have been speaking on many occasions to head office about my dissatisfaction that there are not recycling bins for the cans, plastic bottles, and glass bottles in our stores. This is where the big stuff is, NOT the paper cups and bags, but the cans/bottles of pop and juice, these should and need to be recycled and it would make a huge difference if Tim Hortons were to have recycling for these items that we sell.

I know that all my stores recycle what we can, we have huge recycling bins for all our cardboard behind every store, but to me it's not enough, we need to act soon about the plastic/aluminum/glass recycling, and forget about the paper cups and bags, because in all honesty, there is absolutely nothing we can do about it!!

People are going to continue littering these around, and you are right it is disgusting and perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get Tim Hortons employees to volunteer for a day out in the city picking up garbage, it would be really nice to show our support that way. But then again, EVERYONE in every community should lend a helping hand and either just not litter or have a community help day where volunteers go through parts of the city just picking up litter and recycling whatever possible! I would sign a petition like that in a heartbeat! But not one that would blame Tim Hortons for the acts of the customers alone and not the franchise!

aj19_84

Nov 7, 2005
"McDonalds has had to put clean up crews out in the communities that they operate in as they feel they have a responsibility to the community to help keep it clean. These workers aren't out there picking up candy bar wrappers or chip bags, just McDonalds wrappers."

and is this actually caring about the community if they just pick up the McDonalds wrappers and leave the rest on the ground, sounds to me like they're just covering their own butts, so to speak

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Well they are the originators of the garbage, and 7-11 does the same for slurpy cups so maybe Tim's better get with the program. And these aren't volunteers doing this it is paid employees. Also out here a business can sponsor a street and that business gets to put up signs in exchange for litter pick up once a month (not positive of the frequency).

And go green, change those cups, the public don't know what type of cup they need, show them how a recyclable cup is better than a waxed cup. Heck change the cup and make a huge marketing ploy out of it.

aj19_84

Nov 7, 2005
but once again, that would be impractical, we cannot change our cups to be recyclable, what would happen if you put a hot liquid like coffee into a paper/cardboard cup without a wax coating? it would soak through in seconds and be an undrinkable mess.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Would be nice if they opened up a Tim Horton's here. Or even a Robin's. We only have two major chain type donut joints here in Oklahoma, Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Kreme. Plus a lot of small chain type donut joints.

Strange ... I remember in Montreal Tim Hortons was affilated with Wendy's ... I guess the same doesn't apply here...?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I believe it's only been a few years ago that the Wendys chain bought out Tim's :) One of ours here is a combination outfit,so we get great burgers and coffee in the same place.

Ali Mahdi

Jan 24, 2006
Waterloo, ON
I work at Tim Hortons in Port Dover, ON. They are trying to cut back on the garbage they produce, but some customers who drink their coffee/tea inside don't want it in a paper cup.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian
Nascar_James said:
Would be nice if they opened up a Tim Horton's here. Or even a Robin's. We only have two major chain type donut joints here in Oklahoma, Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Kreme. Plus a lot of small chain type donut joints.

Strange ... I remember in Montreal Tim Hortons was affilated with Wendy's ... I guess the same doesn't apply here...?

Timbits will be available in the States (Baja Canada) soon, franchises are opening up in the Northeast and spreading!

Now, if we could get Canadian Tire in Louisiana!!!

Apreal4_1976

Nov 18, 2006
Not only do I LOVE Tim Hortons coffee, but I am an employee. I know for a fact that Tim Hortons recycles. I recycle my coffee cups and lids from Tim Hortons. The paper bags are recyclable. We no longer have fountain drinks. Less garbage now. We sell pop in bottles and cans. We sell juice in glass bottles. All recyclable. Note: They are PAPER CUPS, PAPER BAGS, CARDBOARD TRAYS, GLASS AND PLASTIC BOTTLES, CANS, and PLASTIC LIDS!!!!!!! The problem isn't Tim Hortons. The problem is the consumer! Don't throw your garbage out the window. Recycle the paper, plastic,cans, glass, and cardboard products. If you look on the lids of Tim Hortons cups, it says recycle. It is a #6. Everything else I mentioned you can recycle. The cup itself says Please DO NOT LITTER!!! Tim Hortons isn't the problem!!!! Be a smart customer. DO NOT LITTER and RECYCLE!!!!!

Shaynelle

Jan 9, 2007
Interesting, my brother manages a Tim Hortons and the cups sold there are not recyclable. Have you checked with your local recycling facility to confirm this?

Perhaps if you bold and use capitals and blame your customers, suddenly your cups become recyclable.

The recycling facilities in any city that I have lived in (Vancouver, Toronto, Winnipeg) of will not accept Tim Hortons coffee cups, as well as many other coffee cups. Most are fine for the compost however.

Not only do I LOVE Tim Hortons coffee, but I am an employee. I know for a fact that Tim Hortons recycles. I recycle my coffee cups and lids from Tim Hortons. The paper bags are recyclable. We no longer have fountain drinks. Less garbage now. We sell pop in bottles and cans. We sell juice in glass bottles. All recyclable. Note: They are PAPER CUPS, PAPER BAGS, CARDBOARD TRAYS, GLASS AND PLASTIC BOTTLES, CANS, and PLASTIC LIDS!!!!!!! The problem isn't Tim Hortons. The problem is the consumer! Don't throw your garbage out the window. Recycle the paper, plastic,cans, glass, and cardboard products. If you look on the lids of Tim Hortons cups, it says recycle. It is a #6. Everything else I mentioned you can recycle. The cup itself says Please DO NOT LITTER!!! Tim Hortons isn't the problem!!!! Be a smart customer. DO NOT LITTER and RECYCLE!!!!!

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
1.) Just because people collect recycling doesn't mean they do. Most places (although they collect it and make you sort it) don't even recycle the big four (glass, metal, plastic and paper)

2.) Does it matter if a multinational corporation is "Canadian Based". The Jobs it generates are in Canada, the taxes are in Canada, and regardless of if its Canadian or not the profit goes to stockholders who could be literally anywhere in the world.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
I think the cup here say "DO NOT LITTER" not recycleable

And anyways let's chat about the drive thur where it is" Tim Hortons" who encourage consumers to line up ideling for up to 7-10 minutes waiting to get the non recyclable cups

If Timmy cared they would firgure out a diffrent avenue for this ,yes as a consumer I have a choice to sit in line and idle or to go in I dont go to tim anymore because they dont care to consider alternatives ,invent a drive along like the car wash anything would be better !!!!
For now I bann Tim hortons

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Well, isn't that a bit insane? blaming Tim Hortons for you refusing to park your car and go in?

They have a different avenue already, its called the consumer stops being lazy, and goes into the store rather than save himself the effort of 20 feet of walking.