Tim Hortons

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
ROBINS is Canadian. I miss Robin's, they made the best coffee in the country. Robin's isn't (last I heard) owned by Maple Leaf.

CaptainJack

Jul 4, 2005
Guelph, Ontario
Re: RE: Tim Hortons

Sy said:
icklemiss21 said:
What I do hate is the local Tim Hortons Drive Thru... people need to learn that once the drive thru lane is full they should pull in and get out of the car and walk in rather than the 20 car backlog on a major street

^^^I hate this as well...I can't believe people actually find this an acceptable use of their time/gas just waiting in a TH drivethru lineup...Some places i've seen nearly 30cars in a line so i went inside, got my stuff and left, and the line moved about maybe 10 cars...

Also why do people have to order huge meals from a drive thru? Coffee and bagel is the most i get for myself. Anything more and I go inside.

A deposit on cups sounds like a pretty good idea! If TH took maybe $0.02 extra per paper cup, then gave it back for every cup returned that could probably get people off welfare with all the cups laying around in any given city.

although this would help with garbage on streets/lawns/whatever....it wouldn't actually help with the amount of garbage in general. Even though cups are being returned, they would still be thrown away, just by a different person. It would also be very time consuming for the Tim Horton's worker. They would have to do whatever it is that would have to be done with the cups/deposits and would then in turn have to deal with complaints and insults thrown at them by disgruntled customers for having to wait.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Tim Hortons on pei are owned by danny murphy...a bad bad man. We have Robins here too, I have to say I much prefer it. I have to agree with those that find the drive thru lines just insane, given that Tims is EVERYwhere on the island, there are cars all over the road, lined up though parking lots, nearly running down little grannies too! and they say drunk driving is dangerous! Those that are concerned with Drunk driving ( and NO i do not condone or indulge myself) should try to commute around charlottetown at 8am on a workday. It's like a gauntlet for your car

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:lol: Yep, I've been the unfortunate working the drive through on the island. Here is where you get #$@!% drive through lines that extend onto the highway...lazy bastards, the storefront is usually dead when that is going on too.

As for Danny, well I'm going to just keep my mouth shut... although he does look like the head vampire off of The Lost Boys.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Nah, Jo the vampire is much more attractive, and a better person. I feel your pain, like you and most other islanders, I too have had to suffer working in the Drive-thru, I just looked better in the uniform than you!! tee hee. I encourage everyone that comes to the island, to try the locally owned coffee shop Beanz. Fantastic coffee house, great people too

ol' dawg

Electoral Member
Jun 25, 2005
standing by a hydrant

Wetcoast40 said:
You'd have to live east of the Rockies to think Tim Horton's makes good coffee. My little kiosk down the road makes better coffee than TH or Starbucks (over roasted/over priced). TH's coffee is rubbish! I'd throw the cup out too if I had to settle for that first thing in the morning!

Total agreement ... I prefer real coffee over the crap served at TH and Starbucks. I have often said that TH drinkers ask for "double-double" so they can kill the taste of the fluid that's in the cup.

I have 3 or 4 places I go in Calgary - The Planet roasts their own too - and you can tell for blocks around when they have a dark roast going. As well, I usually make a jar of joe at home .

BTW, if you brew your own, what kind of coffee do you like to brew?

Lately I've been using Ganocafe - it has rieshi mushrooms in it so they call it healthy coffee.

When I buy a cup of coffee, it's usually a medium roast. How about you?

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
On the plus side for Tim Hortons....my "adopted" grandson has been selected to attend a ten day camping session at one of the six Tim Horton's camps...no cost !!
He's going to the one in Quyon,Quebec..there's one in Kananaskis,Alberta,one in Kentucky,one in Parry Sound,Ontario,one in Tatamagouche,Nova Scotia and I foget the last location.
Many thousands of Canadian children benefit from this camping experience...all funded by Tim Hortons and their "keep the change" programme.

canuckster

May 19, 2005
Sign a petition against Timmy's and Starbuck's coffee.

BAD coffee unless you disguise it in a latte.

dmorrison38

Jul 9, 2005
Hey I work for tim hortons and i'd just like to point out that there is a very good reason that we use and encourage the use of paper cups is because we are timed for how quickly we can deliver an order. We have to make a certain average time per order or consequences will ensue. If someone comes to the drivethru window with a travel mug, it means that we cannot prepare the coffee beforehand and thus the order will be slower. This unfortunately is another example of profit over the environment, but it is one that all tim hortons employees are happy to comply with; after all, the customers do pay our wages. Thats my comment feel free to agree or disagree with me on the logic behind this but just remember its not my logic....its the head honchos @ tim hortons

stratochief

Nominee Member
Jul 1, 2005

annabattler said:
Many thousands of Canadian children benefit from this camping experience...all funded by Tim Hortons and their "keep the change" programme.

That's good. The cigarette companies also like to spread their P.R. dough around.

Tim Hortons equals sugar and fat. They, like McDonalds, Coca Cola, Imperial Tobacco, etc. promote crappy lifestyle choices leading to an unhealthy fat, obese society.

The menu should read 'Fat, Caffeine, Sugar'.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Tim Hortons equals sugar and fat. They, like McDonalds, Coca Cola, Imperial Tobacco, etc. promote crappy lifestyle choices leading to an unhealthy fat, obese society.

I find it insulting that it's assumed I don't know/can't tell the difference. If I'm too stupid or lazy to watch what I eat and opt to blame the establishments that I choose to frequent then I deserve to die early. I find it insulting that stupid humans ruin things for the more intelligent among us.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'd be interested in some information on the real consequences of reusing cups vs paper....it takes hot water, soap, etc to wash all those cups.....how much water and heat is wasted that way?

Remember when McDonalds did away with the foam boxes for their burgers, and they pointed out that overall the cardboard was worse for the environment, but everyone felt better.

stratochief

Nominee Member
Jul 1, 2005

"I find it insulting that it's assumed I don't know/can't tell the difference"
(I never know how to quote a quote)

I said they promote crappy 'choices'. People are intelligent but just can't be bothered to provide themselves (or worse, their children) with good nutrition.

Your child probably has a hundred times greater chance of dying of a coronary or diabetes, etc. prematurally as an adult than dying in a car accident but we're aghast at a mother not strapping her toddler into a car seat. We think nothing of the same mother stuffing a Mcdonald's fry or Timbit in the same kids mouth.

Parents know it's not good for their kids but it's their 'choice' to feed them crap and develop poor nutrition habits.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Stratochief, I just re-read my post. I apologize for sounding so bitchy. I'm not usually like that.

And your right. However, I have no problems choosing a salad for me and for my daughter. It is my responsibility to educate my daughter.

Not so long ago seat belts were no big thing. I remember riding in the back of my dad' truck and my moms hatchback.

Fairly soon we'll not be allowed to leave our houses without wearing our life jackets and bubble wrapped.

I prefer natural selection....keeps the population in check.

I think it's a bad idea to breed stupid dogs. I think it's 10 times worse to allow stupid people to reproduce and procreate....it's not wise....and yet..........

Wetcoast40

Electoral Member
Feb 21, 2005
Lesser Vancouver

TenPenny said:
I'd be interested in some information on the real consequences of reusing cups vs paper....it takes hot water, soap, etc to wash all those cups.....how much water and heat is wasted that way?
Remember when McDonalds did away with the foam boxes for their burgers, and they pointed out that overall the cardboard was worse for the environment, but everyone felt better.

As my signature line indicates, common sense is not so common. McDonalds were responding to public pressure, which has nothing to do with the responsible choice. Perception is reality, remember.
The business of a reusable cup needs a life-cycle analysis. I expect that the energy expended on that analysis would far outweigh any benefit derived.
In the end, its up to us to act responsibly, regardless of whether it's a coffee cup or a used TV.

stratochief

Nominee Member
Jul 1, 2005

Twila said:
Not so long ago seat belts were no big thing. I remember riding in the back of my dad' truck and my moms hatchback.

So true! I recall how we used to boast that we could get half the hockey team or scout troop stuffed into our station wagon. We'd be hanging out the windows.

One time we stopped at a service station and my dad counted the kids: 12! He went in and bought 12 5cent ice cream cones. He handed those carborad trays back to us. After we all took one and were merrily riding down the road there was one ice cream left. It took a while for anyone to notice but it turns out we had left one kid back in the rest room at the service station.

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land

Twila said:

I find it insulting that it's assumed I don't know/can't tell the difference. If I'm too stupid or lazy to watch what I eat and opt to blame the establishments that I choose to frequent then I deserve to die early. I find it insulting that stupid humans ruin things for the more intelligent among us.

NICELY SAID TWILA :p :p :p

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Maybe TH could start using sleeves instead of wasting a perfectly good paper cup. And they waste cup when they have that 'roll up the rim to win' and someone wants a ceramic mug but wants to be able to play.

Seems sleeves only use 30% of the amount of fibre required to make a whole new cup.

But for the record, I prefer my donuts to be made that day, not baked in some other province, frozen, transportated across Canada. Seems since they started this their donuts are now gluey. Blah that's gross.