Tim Hortons

yvie

Apr 26, 2005
There are two things that are very Canadian; the environment and Tim Hortons coffee. Unfortunatly these two things don't always go together. Tim Hortons coffee cups cannot be recycled by most facilaties and are filling up landfills. It's very sad, because it is so easy to use a travel mug.

Please sign this petition asking Tim Hortons to be more environmentally friendly.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/268476999

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
On Pei here, you can find the way to any tim hortons by following the cups alongside of the road, it's literally a trail...People are $#@!8ng slobs!!

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
Most people in the oilfield where I work use a travel mug at all times. When your driving on gravel roads, you need a good lid. But I can hardly see how TH could require people to use/purchase travel mugs.

Wetcoast40

Electoral Member
Feb 21, 2005
Lesser Vancouver
You'd have to live east of the Rockies to think Tim Horton's makes good coffee. My little kiosk down the road makes better coffee than TH or Starbucks (over roasted/over priced). TH's coffee is rubbish! I'd throw the cup out too if I had to settle for that first thing in the morning!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Scott Rd skytrain station USE to have the best coffee. Alas, the couple who owned it sold it to people who changed coffee companies.

sad sad sad.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Even with the many garbage receptacles around this area,most every customer of Tim's just tosses the empty cup on the road or grass.Perhaps,a small deposit on the cup might encourage some one to pick them up :idea:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Here is something even sadder....A while ago I was in my home town, not that far from here, but you have to go up a mountain, and than back down, and you enter the lost valley, also known as the alberni valley. Thousands of logging roads in the valley, I went with a friend down one of these roads, she collects lichens. A few miles down this road in the wilderness, someone decided to dump their old furniture, a fridge and stove also...the mountain of gyproc was a nice touch to. These item seem somewhat out of place in a forest :twisted:

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Mount Everest has a plentitude of human waste on it! So,if the loneliest and highest place in the world is thus defiled,why not every other place? They should force all those climbers to carry their own pooper scoopers with them..

icklemiss21

Jan 16, 2005
Burlington, ON
Sitting here with my Tim Hortons paper cup (double cuppd for my tea I might add) I feel bad saying this... but I am a short walk from a Timmy's which means... yep you guessed it... my lawn is always littered with Timmy's cups! Perhaps they should put a deposit on them... I could make a killing and give up working!

I don't drink coffee so can't say whether its good or not... but either way i prefer Second Cup!

What I do hate is the local Tim Hortons Drive Thru... people need to learn that once the drive thru lane is full they should pull in and get out of the car and walk in rather than the 20 car backlog on a major street

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
Re: RE: Tim Hortons

icklemiss21 said:
What I do hate is the local Tim Hortons Drive Thru... people need to learn that once the drive thru lane is full they should pull in and get out of the car and walk in rather than the 20 car backlog on a major street

^^^I hate this as well...I can't believe people actually find this an acceptable use of their time/gas just waiting in a TH drivethru lineup...Some places i've seen nearly 30cars in a line so i went inside, got my stuff and left, and the line moved about maybe 10 cars...

Also why do people have to order huge meals from a drive thru? Coffee and bagel is the most i get for myself. Anything more and I go inside.

A deposit on cups sounds like a pretty good idea! If TH took maybe $0.02 extra per paper cup, then gave it back for every cup returned that could probably get people off welfare with all the cups laying around in any given city.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
yvie said:
There are two things that are very Canadian; the environment and Tim Hortons coffee.

Unfortunately Tim Horton's is NOT Canadian. They're owned by Wendy's. Go to Country Style instead - they're Canadian and their coffee and doughnuts are better anyway.

Toro

Senate Member
Just the Facts said:
yvie said:
There are two things that are very Canadian; the environment and Tim Hortons coffee.

Unfortunately Tim Horton's is NOT Canadian. They're owned by Wendy's. Go to Country Style instead - they're Canadian and their coffee and doughnuts are better anyway.

There are a couple of funds who've taken large positions in Wendy's in an attempt to spin TH out and make it its own company. TH accounts for about half of Wendy's profits and has done phenomenally well.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Just the Facts said:
yvie said:

It's true, since 1995, they've been American owned although they maintain their separate headquarters in Oakville, ON.

It's too bad we don't have big business people in Canada who can retain our stores like Tim's, Eaton's, Simpson's, Bargain Harold's, Consumer's Distributing and countless others. Who knows when Canadian Tire or HBC will go out of business or change to foreign hands?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
[OT] It still irks me seeing "Proudley Canadian" sign at Future Shop.... I filed a complain with them but they laughed it off as no big deal so I filed a complaint with the Advertising Standards Canada (ASC), hopefully they will make them take sign down, but somehow I doubt it. (So I refuse to shop there) [/OT]

djmartin

Jun 29, 2005
For those people that think Country Style is canadian, You are wrong, they are owned by Maple Leaf Mills out of New York, the top 2-3 exeuctives of the company are all from the US. Tims may be owned by a US company, but all people involved in the Canadian end, are Canadian. Also , I was involved in owning a Country Style Franchise, I would ask you to talk to any country style owner and see if 1 - are they happy , and 2, are they making any money. I know the answer, I was there one day many years ago.

djmartin

Jun 29, 2005
For those people that think Country Style is canadian, You are wrong, they are owned by Maple Leaf Mills out of New York, the top 2-3 exeuctives of the company are all from the US. Tims may be owned by a US company, but all people involved in the Canadian end, are Canadian. Also , I was involved in owning a Country Style Franchise, I would ask you to talk to any country style owner and see if 1 - are they happy , and 2, are they making any money. I know the answer, I was there one day many years ago.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Country Style - isn't that owned by Maple Leaf Foods, or is it Robins? Maple Leaf Foods being, what, half owned by the Ontario Teachers' Pension plan, and the other half by the McCains...the ones who left McCains, that is...