The world's 10 best sandwiches

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
All of those were good fer darn sure. But nothing beats the sandwiches I make in my kitchen. For example, my spicy peppered bacon cheese burger or meat loaf on toasted garlic bread with sliced pickles, Spanish olives & sweet peppers, topped with lettuce-tomato & Italian salad dressing, a touch of mustard, & barbecue sauce could never be matched by any of those. NEVER.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The first five include five different varieties of head cheese, followed by salmon, roast beef, corned beef, turkey and summer sausage.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Dorado's Cemitas!

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
I vividly remember going out the first time after being assigned to Valley Forge General Hospital in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania. I had never lived in the Eastern part of the US, and had never heard of a Philly Cheesesteak.

There was a small deli/sandwich shop across the highway from the hospital. Their cheesesteaks were heavenly, freshly made for each customer, and stuffed with steak, onions, mushrooms, sliced peppers and melted provolone and mozzerella. You could charge them, and pay for them on payday (in those days, the US Army paid only once a month). Their sandwiches were MUCH better than the vast majority of them found in Philadelphia.

I was stationed at that Army hospital from 1965-1969. I took my wife there in 1980 (the hospital had been closed in 1974), and I was amazed that the deli still had me listed on their books as a good "charge customer" (meaning you could charge anything, and pay for it on payday).

I am somewhat surprised that no form of the Torpedo/Hoagie/Submarine sandwich made the list. Properly made, those can be an absolute delight. There are also wonderful sandwiches in Germany, Italy, the Ukraine, Russia, etc., etc.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Seems to me that Simons, down on Main in Winnipeg, make a Reuben sandwich that is as good as anyone's.
I remember about an inch or more of smoked meat with sourkraut and Swiss cheese on fresh grilled rye bread.

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I went a few times to the original's Reuben's in Manhattan _ I believe it was at Madison at 40th or so in Murray Hill. Good place to eat those world famous corned beef sandwiches. But I do agree that Katz's patrami sandwich overall was tastier than Reuben's.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If you're not all that hungry, there is always the bacon and tomato with a little mayo on toasted whole wheat bread.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you're not all that hungry, there is always the bacon and tomato with a little mayo on toasted whole wheat bread.

One of my favourites but too much salt in the bacon! Why can't these a$$holes understand we don't need a bushel of salt to survive?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One of my favourites but too much salt in the bacon! Why can't these a$$holes understand we don't need a bushel of salt to survive?

Try back bacon. It's a little more expensive but usually not as salty but bacon has always been salty. Maybe if
you soak the separated slices of bacon in cold water for 10 to 15 minutes. I've done that and it works.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Try back bacon. It's a little more expensive but usually not as salty but bacon has always been salty. Maybe if
you soak the separated slices of bacon in cold water for 10 to 15 minutes. I've done that and it works.

What I've found that helps is to do the bacon in the oven on a broiler pan. Four hundred about 4-5 minutes per side. It's crispy on the edges but still meaty/tender too, which is how I like it. Bacon always retains the grease and salt more when you're frying it I've found.

But don't do it unless you have a self-cleaning oven, because it's not something you want to clean up by hand.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yep, it's a little better, but that is living really high on the hog! :lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

and if you add a fried egg to that, its even better

I don't eat much salt at all, so when I do have bacon, which is not often, its not harmful, and that
salt makes it taste wonderful, then i'm satisfied, and don't need it again for a couple or even 3
weeks or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You have to remember that the salt is there as a preservative to cure the meat....It wasn't put there as a whim.