The difference between Spirituality and Religion

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
I'm all in favour of Christians abusing and mutilating themselves, if that's what blows their skirts up.

Not so much when they're doing it to children in boarding schools.
T-Bones - you left out my sentence that the aforementioned should be read with a sarcastic tone.

In fact I was not flogging or chanting.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
T-Bones - you left out my sentence that the aforementioned should be read with a sarcastic tone.

In fact I was not flogging or chanting.
What?!!! I thought all Christians owned a cat of nine tails. I read somewhere that self flagellation was the fastest way to godliness.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
I thought that is what we were doing. I'm not sure how you interpreted Psych 101, but, seems to me, one must know oneself first before learning empathy and compassion for others. Acceptance of oneself (self love), warts and all, is the first lesson in learning compassion. Some people need Jesus to do that, some don't.
Compassion is other centered, not self centered. If I am focused on myself - "loving myself" (and definition is needed here), I will have less time for others. My definition of "self love": caring for the old carcass - feeding it, the occassional bath, good dental hygeine, rest, etc, etc,
Define "loving oneself". That connotes gazing in the mirror and voicing one's splendor with oneself. "Look at me. Ain't I marvelous" etc etc

What?!!! I thought all Christians owned a cat of nine tails. I read somewhere that self flagellation was the fastest way to godliness.
Cliffy, now surely you jest or do you? Sometimes I think your idea of "religion" stems from the 12th century monks notions.

I tell you who I would like to beat with the nine tails.

Here I have been absent from the forum for a week or more and I thought upon my return I would not had to suffer such attacks. :)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Compassion is other centered, not self centered. If I am focused on myself - "loving myself" (and definition is needed here), I will have less time for others. My definition of "self love": caring for the old carcass - feeding it, the occassional bath, good dental hygeine, rest, etc, etc,
Define "loving oneself". That connotes gazing in the mirror and voicing one's splendor with oneself. "Look at me. Ain't I marvelous" etc etc

Ye got that back azzwards. Self love is acceptance of who you are, warts and all. Most people are so full of self loathing (based on not being able to live up to the expectations of others) that they don't really know who they are, what they want out of life, etc. You say you are a sinner. By whose standards, yours or your fellow Christians? To me, accepting that I am a child of god, one who does not put conditions on its love for me, and that I am as significant as any other person, that is self love, not narcissism but just acceptance of self, without judgment. We are all flawed humans, otherwise we wouldn't be here learning how to love and be compassionate.

Cliffy, now surely you jest or do you? Sometimes I think your idea of "religion" stems from the 12th century monks notions.

I tell you who I would like to beat with the nine tails.

Here I have been absent from the forum for a week or more and I thought upon my return I would not had to suffer such attacks. :)
Surely you jest! I meant every word of it..... NOT! Pltttzzz!!!

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
for me we are soul...currently we have human form

Like energy or matter, which we are. Always were here and always will be, just in different forms. The thought has its ups and downs, then again so do most things in life (and death for that matter).

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
Cliffy, I assure you I am not even remotely full of self loathing.

And now I do believe it is time for a bible verse. (I can hear you all groaning, yet I will proceed)

Galatians 2:20
“For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
I read a lot of the bible because we were analysing it from a literary perspective....i have no problem with it or those who base their life upon it's 'wisdoms'.....still though, the only thing that matters is the love displayed toward others in the end it won't matter how much one reads the bible, only how one behaves...

The difference between spirituality and religion depends on the context. When speaking about an individual, spirituality can refer to one's credence, while religion can reference one's conduct. For example, Sal's appreciation of love (spirituality/creed) are evident in his/her acceptance of others (religion/conduct). In this context, neither spirituality nor religion are superior. They simply describe internal and external aspects of human life.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The difference between spirituality and religion depends on the context. When speaking about an individual, spirituality can refer to one's credence, while religion can reference one's conduct. For example, Sal's appreciation of love (spirituality/creed) are evident in his/her acceptance of others (religion/conduct). In this context, neither spirituality nor religion are superior. They simply describe internal and external aspects of human life.
How about the context of the OP? In religion there are rules and consequences. Spirituality asks you to avoid stepping in anything.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
How about the context of the OP? In religion there are rules and consequences. Spirituality asks you to avoid stepping in anything.
Cliffy, MEthinks you are playing with words.

Thou shalt not step in anything.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
How about the context of the OP? In religion there are rules and consequences.

As a Christian, Cliffy, I do not subscribe to some of the context of the OP: "religion requires numbers to sustain." I also do not regard religion as rules and consequences.

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (James 1:27 NIV)

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
As a Christian, Cliffy, I do not subscribe to some of the context of the OP: "religion requires numbers to sustain." I also do not regard religion as rules and consequences.

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (James 1:27 NIV)
I concur with Motar, here. Eloquently stated and accurate.

And cow pies and bear scat.

BTW, do you know the difference between black bear and grizzly scat?
Do tell me Cliffy. What is the difference?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

I thought it was by faith alone. Good works didn't count. You are confusing some people with that one. Are you Catholic?

Do tell me Cliffy. What is the difference?
Black bear scat is full of berries and fruit, grizzly scat is full of little bells and smells of pepper.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
I thought it was by faith alone. Good works didn't count. You are confusing some people with that one. Are you Catholic?

Black bear scat is full of berries and fruit, grizzly scat is full of little bells and smells of pepper.
Well Cliffy, the next time I take a stroll through bear country I shall think of you.
You know I once encountered a black bear and her 2 cubs. As you can see, I live to tell about it.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013

Saved by grace through faith to do good works, Cliffy:

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (Ephesians 2:8-10 NIV)

Faith is evidenced in deeds:

"But someone will say, 'You have faith; I have deeds.' Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds ... As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." (James 2:18, 26 NIV)

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I'm curious - being somewhat new to the forum (about 6 months), how long has the religion vs spiritual debate been going on.

The CC Inferno - Ha! Indeed it is.

Not long really, a decade maybe.

to keep oneself from being polluted by the world

As long as a soul inhabits a body it is polluted by the world. The original sin was cohabitation with the animal man, matter, which consigned the soul to it's death in matter. The marriage of soul to matter constituted a cross of flesh which had to be borne by the infant deity. The souls perspective is outlined in the original scriptures it's bending by the framers into the fleshy human perspective is the source of all the misunderstanding.