The Definition of Platitude

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
A platitude is a trite, meaningless, or prosaic statement, often used as a thought-terminating cliché, aimed at quelling social, emotional, or cognitive unease.[1] The statement may be true, but its meaning has been lost due to its excessive use.[2]

Platitudes have been criticized as giving a false impression of wisdom, making it easy to accept falsehoods:

A platitude is even worse than a cliché. It’s a sanctimonious cliché, a statement that is not only old and overused but often moralistic and imperious. ... [P]latitudes have an aphoristic quality, they seem like timeless moral lessons. They therefore shape our view of the world, and can lull us into accepting things that are actually false and foolish.[

Reactions: Mowich and taxslave

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
The definition of 'Sanctimonious'...

"Making a show of being morally superior to other people."

Reactions: Mowich

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
The definition of 'Self-righteousness'

Self-righteousness, also called sanctimoniousness, sententiousness and holier-than-thou attitudes is a feeling or display of moral superiority derived from a sense that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
The definition of 'Arrogant'...

"Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities"

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
I remember in the days after Trump got elected, my brother showed up on my doorstep for a game of chess.

When I opened the front door I simply said..."Americans are resilient". To which he angrily replied..."Americans are fu*king retarded."

And that was it. We butt heads on politics, so we both kept it short and moved on to other conversations.

But it was quite revealing. His take in a nutshell was if you didn't vote for Hillary...well...you were retarded. Were many millions upon millions of Americans retarded? Really??

And that attitude by my Lefty brother is exactly why Trump got elected...voters were fed up with the platitudes, sanctimoniousness, self-righteousness, arrogance...etc of the Democrats.

So I was conciliatory by stating 'Americans are resilient'. I was being reasonable while my brother was acting sucky and churlish because he didn't get his way.

We both only said one short sentence to each other on the American election issue, but oh how striking and revealing those comments were!

(I come from a family of 7 and I'm the only right-leaning one in the bunch. They are all University educated with degrees and diplomas coming out of their ears. but Mom always told me i was the brightest light in the family. It's possible she just felt sorry for me as i have less education than my siblings, or she could have meant it...I'm not sure.)

Last edited:

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
And that attitude by my Lefty brother is exactly why Trump got elected...voters were fed up with the platitudes, sanctimoniousness, self-righteousness, arrogance...etc of the Democrats.
The attitudes you describe are not exclusive to "lefties". The political divisiveness that has gripped both the US and Canada is rife with a hardline "I'm right and you're wrong" inflexibility that leaves little room for improvement.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
It's also worth saying that a common tactic these days in pushing one's own agenda is to sow distrust among experts in a given field, the environmental and health fields are big targets these days. There used to be a time when intelligence was respected, now it's treated like a threat. That, in my opinion, is a huge step backwards.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
"The attitudes you describe are not exclusive to "lefties""

Look man. I've been around the block. And if you aren't 'with' a Lefty you are trout. They hunt in packs because the majority of them are not individually self-sufficient. They also continue to...what I call....reverse-bully you if they don't agree with your freedom of speech...if it doesn't match their agenda.

Reactions: taxslave

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
The far Right enjoys Wrestling and Monster Truck Rallies. I've said it before...that's fine. It's entertainment for retarded Hillbillies.

The far Left enjoy nice casual reads by Stalin and Hitler.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
"The attitudes you describe are not exclusive to "lefties""

Look man. I've been around the block. And if you aren't 'with' a Lefty you are trout. They hunt in packs because the majority of them are not individually self-sufficient. They also continue to...what I call....reverse-bully you if they don't agree with your freedom of speech...if it doesn't match their agenda.
That's just the kind of shit I'm talking about. Browbeating and insults are not the path towards a better future. What do you hope to accomplish with a post like that ?

Last edited:

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
That's just the kind of shit I'm talking about. Browbeating and insults are not tools for a better future.

If the shoe fits...

Why polish a turd or put lipstick on a pig? I'm just being truthful...and I voted NDP last election. That's right. I'm a hooker with a heart of gold.

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
The far Right enjoys Wrestling and Monster Truck Rallies. I've said it before...that's fine. It's entertainment for retarded Hillbillies.

The far Left enjoy nice casual reads by Stalin and Hitler.
Sure, there's truth in that, but only when looking at the extreme ends of the poiltical spectrum. The fringes at both ends make a lot more noise than what is proportionate to their actual numbers. Once you move a little closer to center there's a lot of common ground, people just want to know that what they have today will be there tomorrow, and maybe if things play out okay they'll get ahead a little.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
But back to the Header...Platitudes.

"It takes a village"

"No one left behind"

Everybody got left behind....millions of people lost their shirts which is how Trump got elected. Now sleepy Joe is at the helm and America is going down the shitter again.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
So, if you voted NDP then perhaps you see some need for change ?

Yes. The middle class is evaporating while billionaires are launching their penis-shaped personal rockets into outer space. It's all so wrong on so many levels.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It's also worth saying that a common tactic these days in pushing one's own agenda is to sow distrust among experts in a given field, the environmental and health fields are big targets these days. There used to be a time when intelligence was respected, now it's treated like a threat. That, in my opinion, is a huge step backwards.
That is because too many of the experts are on someone's payroll or dependent on grants to survive. Much like turdOWE giving money to compliant media outlets, they will not dig too deep to call bullshit and cut off the gravy. Or the pro vaccine professor in Alberta that has been getting research funding fro Pfizer for some time. Is he really unbiased?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So, if you voted NDP then perhaps you see some need for change ?

Yes. The middle class is evaporating while billionaires are launching their penis-shaped personal rockets into outer space. It's all so wrong on so many levels.
WHich is far better than taxpayer funded sorties into space. Their money, they can do what they want with it. Besides they are creating lots of good paying jobs by spending their investments. Government mandated spending does not work so well, as it eliminates our right to chose.