The assault on reason

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think it is wrong to have a conversation with each other about someone in a thread. It is akin to a circle jerk and that is how it presents. It has zero to do with the topic and it as a personal attack. I think it should be avoided.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think it is wrong to have a conversation with each other about someone in a thread. It is akin to a circle jerk and that is how it presents. It has zero to do with the topic and it as a personal attack. I think it should be avoided.

It's also passive-aggressive and gossipy. Who's doing that? Let's say bad things about him/her!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's also passive-aggressive and gossipy. Who's doing that? Let's say bad things about him/her!
lol... *smack* :p actually it is passive aggressive...can't say I haven't done it myself, and can't say I am not tempted at times, but it does ruin the thread and the atmosphere of the forum in general. It seems petty to me, but then I can be petty too.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
lol... *smack* :p actually it is passive aggressive...can't say I haven't done it myself, and can't say I am not tempted at times, but it does ruin the thread and the atmosphere of the forum in general. It seems petty to me, but then I can be petty too.

You know what? Fair enough, it can most definitely. Personally I'm not really one to 'dog pile' per se, although when I have something to say, I'll say it irrespective of whether others have already chimed in on that or not. However, something I've always said is that each thread does not exist in a vacuum. So when a member is consistently and continually posting thread after thread on pretty much the same damn topic, particularly when it carries implied insults or is overly dramatic, it grates on peoples nerves after a while and this can be the result.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You're partly right, as Allan Gregg mentions in his talk Canadians have supported Harper do a degree because he claims to offer order in a time of declining hope for the future. We can no longer assume that our lives will be better in material terms than our parents, and this has caused a lot of anxiety.

The problem with Harper over the other leaders is that he's not open to reason or being informed by the best and latest information. He's going on a belief that this country will be better off if he pulls us all to the right of the spectrum and ends the liberal attitudes that most Canadians hold. In the conservatives minds Canadians in the past have been fooled into supporting the Liberals more often than not, ignoring the fact that most Canadians were and continue to be liberal in their outlook.

If the only way that Harper can create his conservative utopia is to ignore and distort reality to the point where we live in a dreamworld then we live in a very dangerous situation where our government cannot and will not respond to very real threats to the health and well-being of Canada. This isn't nearly as much of an issue with the other leaders who are far more willing to accept a broad range of views.

If you want the appearance of order then Harper is your man, but like other political figures of his style, it's mostly illusion and the chaos that follows them can be truly epic.

How do you know Harper isn't right? For the most part I agree with Harper even though I do not like the man. Government needs to be run with more of a business attitude or we will all wind up like Greece etc.
The problem is that we have been accustomed to BIG Brother supplying all are little wants for so long we have come to accept it as natural.
Here in a smaller form is what is happening to our economy. The forest industry in BC.
We as a group have managed to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Unions with their incessant demands for more pay for less work, It is not so much the hourly rate but the extras like 6 weeks of paid holidays, which requires so many extra employees. Multiple layers of government with the ability to tax tax tax. Also the fees for every thing that are simply another form of tax. The environmental movement which has forced through laws that make working unreasonable. Overlapping Multiple levels of government again with demands for report after report after report which are expensive and mostly useless except to create government jobs. The result is that we now have few mills because it is so much cheaper to operate in Washington state. Much good wood is also no longer included in the AAC because of parks and protected areas making logging costs higher. So much so that now the greenies are even protesting logging second and third growth.
This can also be applied to the automotive industry in Ontario as well with very little change.
Bottom line: We can only get so much for "free" and at some point there will be nothing left, Then what happens to your entitlements?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You know what? Fair enough, it can most definitely. Personally I'm not really one to 'dog pile' per se, although when I have something to say, I'll say it irrespective of whether others have already chimed in on that or not. However, something I've always said is that each thread does not exist in a vacuum. So when a member is consistently and continually posting thread after thread on pretty much the same damn topic, particularly when it carries implied insults or is overly dramatic, it grates on peoples nerves after a while and this can be the result.
agreed

it is also my nature to take the side of the underdog being piled on regardless of whether they are right or wrong, it is something I have been accused of my whole life, and it is undeniably true...I have always viewed the dog piling as a bigger "wrong" I guess...

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
agreed

it is also my nature to take the side of the underdog being piled on regardless of whether they are right or wrong, it is something I have been accused of my whole life, and it is undeniable true...I have always viewed the dog piling as a bigger "wrong" I guess...

I have an underdog weak spot too, believe me I do. So when it gets too out of control (the piling up I mean) I tend to stay clear. Having said that though, I try and sit back and look at the real root cause of it all. I think it can be easy to look at the larger group and point out how wrong they are behaving, but if you stop and look at the reasons behind it, it suddenly becomes a lot more understandable where everyone is coming from.

If someone presents their message in such a way as to piss a lot of people off or at the very least irritate a lot of people, then one really shouldn't be surprised when folks get irritated right? End of the day, it's not what's being said so much as how it's being said that presents the real problem for the majority to get involved like this.

In my opinion.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
, I try and sit back and look at the real root cause of it all. I think it can be easy to look at the larger group and point out how wrong they are behaving, but if you stop and look at the reasons behind it, it suddenly becomes a lot more understandable where everyone is coming from.

Really? You like to look at the root cause of something? How unique. How unusual. Do you have many people put you down for taking that angle? Put you down for even suggesting such a thing should be done?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Really? You like to look at the root cause of something? How unique. How unusual. Do you have many people put you down for taking that angle? Put you down for even suggesting such a thing should be done?

I'm not putting anybody down. Just stating my point of view on the matter.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Sorry, I have multiple things on the go this morning and I'm only half concentrating, what are you getting at then?

does this help?

The idea of getting to the "root causes" for terrorist attacks has been forwarded by Justin Trudeau and has received major derision from those opposing Trudeau.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
I don't need to do those things to care about Canada or have the right to express my opinion.

I tend to read a lot of stories and post what I see as objective, unlike you(apparently) I don't have the super ability to go out and collect all the information on my own. And if you're one of these people who see objective reporting as "left wing media" then I'm almost certainly going to start ignoring you.

Ignoring what is almost certainly one of the most significant and serious issues in human history is kind of distinctive don't you think and will most likely be a defining characteristic of certain members of the conservative movement for years to come, that is if there are actually people around to share it. And this is based on several years of doing my own research online and in library reading pretty much everything I could on the matter(Climate Change)..so don't have the arrogance to try and tell me it isn't happening or that it isn't serious as some here try to do constantly. It's insulting and very frustrating for someone who's already watched the region where he was born and spent most of his life go through dramatic and negative change. Unless you're of the opinion that there are several classes of Canadians and some of us don't have the right to express serious concerns like this in advance of our own deeply held interests and cares, then stop telling me what I have the right to believe and say.

I think most Canadians are sane, I think the current government hasn't been acting that way.

I'm not doing it for your benefit, you're obviously of the type that has already decided all the "facts" and you don't have to listen to or allow anyone who disagrees with you to express their views, just like our government. When our "elected" officials actually start listening to reason then people like me won't have to post it.

If you're troubled by reality then by all means stick with the party that clearly wants to avoid it, don't ask the rest of us to abandon reason for insanity just because it's comfortable.

We all watched how tightly the current government has come to controlling access to information and democratic process, anyone who has a problem with Canadian citizen posting legitimate concerns about the effects of that on themselves and the broader Canadian society around them can bite me. I don't like what I see because it hurts me and the culture around me. Things like this, do we really want to be defined as Canadians by how nasty our PM is.

Stephen Harper’s legacy in government may be nastiness: Hébert | Toronto Star

Basically if my opinions don't conform with what's now become PC in Canada and chaps some people off, tough ****. This isn't Russia, China, Zimbabwe or some other place where people are expected to toe the official line or else. Anybody who wants to build that kind of culture after all the sacrifices made to give us the kind of freedoms we have can go to hell as far as I'm concerned, they're being anti-Canadian, just like our PM.

Cheating on elections doesn't make you a good Canadian, or suppressing the truth or groups you don't like, it makes you nasty.

It seems that everyone that does not share your personal viewpoints is ignorant or insane or uneducated or even nasty.
The reality is that most Canadians do not share your views as evidenced by their voting results.
So you are the odd one out.

And the reality is that almost all serious issues have two sides perhaps more.
And there are usually multiple rights and multiple wrongs on every debatable issue.
And if you are incapable of seeing and understanding that you will never be much of a debater.

Instead you will just end up haranging all others who may or may not agree with you.
And that combined with being a cut"n'paste wizard comes off as inexpierenced and annoying.
Ideologues are almost always repetitive and boring.

We have 2 1/2 more years of Harper and judging from your endless cut'n'pastes that must be a very painful reality for you.
I see you chose to ignore my question about voting and or working on party campaigns.
Probably because you have not bothered.
I would suggest that anyone who cares deeply about politics and outcomes should donate both time and money to the issues at hand.
You can learn an awful lot about issue managemant and political issues and outcomes by becoming involved yourself.

As to Governments of China, Russia and Zimbabwe what do you know about them and their motivations?
I have worked for the governments of China ,Russia, India and Cuba
And multinationals in Europe, SA, ME and Asia.
I learned a lot about other countries, how they operate, their politics, what their people want , their views on climate change and pollution.

Climate change is an international issue.
Canada is so small population wise that Canadian management or lack thereof of c02 really makes no difference on a global scale.
And compared to the huge polluters like China and India we are actually setting very high standards ourselves.
If Canada completely shut down oil sands extraction, or conversely ramped up development as much as possible it would make virtually no difference globally.
It's all about perception.
If you care about global pollution and or climate change you need to make changes where the big emissions are both in place and planned for the future.
And that is not in Canada.

Environmental activism in Canada is a political non-development agenda.
It really has nothing to do with improving pollution or emissions on a global scale.
And everything to do with trying to turn Canada into a giant national park.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have an underdog weak spot too, believe me I do. So when it gets too out of control (the piling up I mean) I tend to stay clear. Having said that though, I try and sit back and look at the real root cause of it all. I think it can be easy to look at the larger group and point out how wrong they are behaving, but if you stop and look at the reasons behind it, it suddenly becomes a lot more understandable where everyone is coming from.

If someone presents their message in such a way as to piss a lot of people off or at the very least irritate a lot of people, then one really shouldn't be surprised when folks get irritated right? End of the day, it's not what's being said so much as how it's being said that presents the real problem for the majority to get involved like this.

In my opinion.
When I do something wrong it matters not what the reason is, it is still wrong and needs a directional change. Understanding why something has occurred or why I have behaved in a certain manner is in my mind a means to lead to change, not to accept it as an excuse for the behaviour or an excuse for its repetition.

If understanding does not lead to change or at least a search for change then I believe it was a wasted effort because it is for naught.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
does this help?

The idea of getting to the "root causes" for terrorist attacks has been forwarded by Justin Trudeau and has received major derision from those opposing Trudeau.

That one at least is simple. The root cause of terrorist attacks is religion. Or more specifically Islam.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Anyone who doesn't see this as a problem is part of the problem.

Arnold Amber: What the Government Is Hiding Should Make Canadians "Blush in Horror"
Amber has an opinion. How bout that. It's amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing, right?

Foamy, from the bit you quoted: "Proud Canadians should blush in horror when they learn that last year Canada ranked number 55 out of 93 countries that have laws that allow requests for documents about what their governments have done. " So you're blaming Harpy for the laws we have about freedom of information? Sorry, but the FoI Act came into being in 1983 and little has changed since then, except Harpy shut down CAIRS (which wasn't created until 1989). Information is still available, just takes longer to get.
Perhaps if you had a clue about what you rant about, people might take you a bit more seriously, Foamy.
Now, the scandals and stuff, I can understand concerns about the Cons over stuff like that, but when you pop up with claims that Harpy suppresses information and other such nonsense, I suggest you give your cranial nuts n bolts a bit of tightening.

agreed

it is also my nature to take the side of the underdog being piled on regardless of whether they are right or wrong, it is something I have been accused of my whole life, and it is undeniably true...I have always viewed the dog piling as a bigger "wrong" I guess...
A large portion of the planet "dogpiled" on Hitler and the USSR a few decades back. :D (Just teasing)

uhuh Turdeau come up with that idea all by himself and the idea had never occurred to anyone else before that, right? Yeah, sorry, but people have been analyzing terrorism for a bit longer than Turdeau has been parroting the idea.

That one at least is simple. The root cause of terrorist attacks is religion. Or more specifically Islam.
Nope. It's fanatacism (or the latest buzzword is "extremism") of any kind.

Oh, and BTW, Foamy, a little while back someone said, "If you're troubled by reality then by all means stick with the party that clearly wants to avoid it, don't ask the rest of us to abandon reason for insanity just because it's comfortable." I think the one who posted that should take their own advice.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
A large portion of the planet "dogpiled" on Hitler and the USSR a few decades back. :D (Just teasing)

Oops. Wrong! A large portion of Europe thought "Mr. Hitler" was just the thing to stop those horrible communists and their ridiculous notions that someone who works should not starve to death. It wasn't until Hitler started threatening their fortunes and control that they "dogpiled" him.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
National Research Council: Harper Tories Tell Agency To Focus On Industry, Not Raw Science

This is just brilliant, why don't we go back to living in a theocracy where the church tells us everything we need to know...oh wait we're heading there now.

But Stewart worried that researchers will simply move to place such as China or India, which are hungry for scientists.

"Once you have a brain drain it's pretty hard to reverse it. I'm really worried about our smartest Canadians packing up and leaving."

Goodyear dismissed suggestions that the changes are part of what opposition critics like Stewart have described as a Conservative war against science, insisting that his government has been a leader in science and technology investment.

Scientists take aim at Harper cuts with ‘death of evidence’ protest on Parliament Hill - The Globe and Mail

When hundreds of usually apolitical scientist show up to protest it's usually an indication that a government isn't supporting the sciences.

Several hundred Canadian scientists and their supporters held an unprecedented protest march on Tuesday to demonstrate against the government's decision to close down major facilities and fire research staff.

The protesters, who say the right-of-center Conservative government dislikes science, walked through central Ottawa behind a woman dressed as the Grim Reaper and a coffin designed to mourn the "Death of Evidence".

"Evidence is the way that adults navigate reality. To deny evidence is to live in a fairy world ... when countries engage in fantasy it's called state propaganda," Simon Fraser University professor Arne Moores told a crowd of around 800 people gathered on Parliament Hill.