'Thank an Indian' shirt generates intense reaction

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I dig the humour. Has about the same effect on me as standing behind someone wearing a hat with "native pride" stencilled across the back. I dig the native pride, in truth the culture in general but I can't help but wonder if he were standing behind me would he dig it if my hat said "white pride"?

White people already have the equivalent pride and we don't hesitate to flaunt it. You see people with indicators of their European heritage (hubby for example sports a tattoo of a fleur de lis inside a Maple leaf, and no native would begrudge him that). Saying that you're native and proud is not about skin colour, it's about heritage. No one tells you to hide yours.

Pasty and tasty?

Oh my goodness, I think I finally found a tattoo I'd get. lol.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If white pride wasn`t already hijacked, I`d say go for it.

Short term rebuilding.
It's racist to have white pride. If someone tried to open up a white social club it would be deemed racist. It happened at Sino Fraser University in Burnaby. Some gal tried to start one and people flipped out.

If you aren't working in the fall come out to SK and we'll go hunting after harvest. We'll send you home with 1000lbs of game and fowl.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Political activist Michele Tittler said she found the message of the 'Got Land? Thank an Indian' offensive.

I like it that kids don't disguise their opinions in guile. I see no harm that this kid tells it as it happened. And people that found her fashion statement to be offensive need to grow a skin rather than shouting down people they disagree with. I think the only ones that would find it racist, or at least let it be a racist rather than a cultural issue, would be the relatively unintelligent people that no-one should listen to.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've earned a good living for all of my adult life. As a result I've paid a substantial amount of taxes. A good part of those taxes went to support FN programs that I had no choice but to pay into. At this point I don't see how Indians have contributed to any wealth I might have collected over my life. My family have been farmers for over a hundred years. "Got land, thank an Indian" Bull**** How about "got a shirt, thank a white man".

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol!!!

Where would you put it?

Right on my glowingly white backside

It's racist to have white pride. If someone tried to open up a white social club it would be deemed racist. It happened at Sino Fraser University in Burnaby. Some gal tried to start one and people flipped out.

If you aren't working in the fall come out to SK and we'll go hunting after harvest. We'll send you home with 1000lbs of game and fowl.

I lived next to a Ukrainian community centre, and a Ukrainian church in Edmonton. But again, 'native' just means race, not roots, to some people right?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The hoodie, IMO, is racist, arrogant, and ignorant. The girl is only 13 years old, and I will lay odds, that she has been taught from a very early age that whitey is the enemy and the reason for ALL of their (FN's) problems.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The hoodie, IMO, is racist, arrogant, and ignorant. The girl is only 13 years old, and I will lay odds, that she has been taught from a very early age that whitey is the enemy and the reason for ALL of their (FN's) problems.
Cool opinion bro.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I think it's a divisive statement. By and large because so many people get so frothed up so easily. But, I think it's accurate. And I think it's symptomatic of a frustration a lot of people feel, especially when sitting around listening to some go on ad nauseum about why natives don't deserve their treaty rights.

I was hoping to work "pokin' " in there somewhere, lol.

hmmm.... Bear's western pokefest?

lol. But, in all honesty, tattoos are out for me. You'd hear me swear really loud, I'd pass out, and then you'd have to stop. Which looks a lot like my sex life, only way less fun.