Teenage incumbent.... maybe

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
Many unhappy with politics are urging folks to dump stale old candidates and support younger, fresher candidates and in this neck of the woods it is happening. Tadpoles lack any life experiences but the bureaucrats experienced in lifes tribulations we're blessed with simply ensure their nests are well feathered. If there are any feathers left and if not borrow some and make a big production about giving some chump change to the peons, maybe fresh young blood ignorant of political self service could change the format.
19-year-old student wins Niagara PC nomination | Metro News

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Many unhappy with politics are urging folks to dump stale old candidates and support younger, fresher candidates and in this neck of the woods it is happening. Tadpoles lack any life experiences but the bureaucrats experienced in lifes tribulations we're blessed with simply ensure their nests are well feathered. If there are any feathers left and if not borrow some and make a big production about giving some chump change to the peons, maybe fresh young blood ignorant of political self service could change the format.
19-year-old student wins Niagara PC nomination | Metro News
Lotta folks in this country are trying to do away with cronyism.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Cute, but no. We have a not so young one in Ottawa now, and it's a mess. The behind the scene happenings are not good.

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
Sadly so true however this kid was not as far as I know raised in a public dime well feathered nest. Our current pm has entitlement in his dna so we must understand he simply can't relate to main street, cronyism is all he knows.
Most of juniors pre election promises have proved to be just so much bs, he is even stealing a page from pauls' 'surplus' play book cutting fed health care funding.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Have the Ontario PCs been Ubered?

By Christina Blizzard, Queen's Park Columnist
First posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 04:37 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 04:59 PM EDT
I’m starting to believe the PC Party of Ontario has been Ubered.
Younger, more energetic and tech-savvy people have moved in, using the party’s own rules to disrupt the status quo.
It happened first when Patrick Brown stunned party insiders by outselling and outmanoeuvring long-time party stalwart Christine Elliott to win the party’s top job.
A lowly backbencher in Stephen Harper’s government steam rolled the movers and shakers within the provincial party to become leader.
Now a similar thing has happened to Brown himself, with the nomination of 19 year-old Sam Oosterhoff as the PC candidate in the Niagara West-Glanbrook byelection — the riding recently vacated by former PC leader Tim Hudak.
I don’t think we should be critical of the nomination because Oosterhoff is young. We wring our hands and lament the lack of engagement of young people in politics — then when one throws his hat in the ring, we have a hissy fit and get righteously indignant.
We want young people to get involved. We don’t want them THAT involved. Don’t step on the old guys’ toes.
What has Tory insiders riled is that in winning the nomination, Oosterhoff brought down two Tory heavies: Party president and former St. Catharines MP Rick Dykstra — Brown’s ally — and party vice president and regional councillor Tony Quirk, who was backed by Hudak.
The field was crowded. Businessman Mike Williscraft also ran, so that could have split the vote in unpredictable ways.
That’s not to detract from Oosterhoff, who — from his social media profiles — appears bright and thoughtful, although he has been labelled a social conservative who opposes the sex-ed curriculum.
PC leader Patrick Brown has said Oosterhoff’s nomination doesn’t worry him and believes Oosterhoff supports his view on sex-ed.
In many ways, Brown’s own nomination followed a similar path to that of Oosterhoff. He motivated a base of socially-conservative supporters, but later moved away from that position.
Last year, Brown led an official party delegation to Pride. He was not the first PC leader to do so. John Tory, also marched as leader of the party.
The sex-ed curriculum roared back in the run-up to last month’s Scarborough-Rouge River byelection that swept Tory Raymond Cho to Queen’s Park. Brown first issued a letter saying he’d “scrap” the sex-ed program, before insisting he supports it.
While Brown has now had three byelection successes, some still question how he’ll fare in a general election.
What some Tories are saying privately is that their one-person-one vote method of electing a leader, both at the leadership and riding levels, leaves them vulnerable to a take-over.
First used in the convention that handed Mike Harris the leadership, it worked in opening up the party so that Harris, an outsider, was able to win. Now, after four bitter election losses, some fear that system may be failing them.
Some now believe it’s time to regain control and to return to a delegated convention, such as the Liberals have, where deals are made behind closed doors and candidates are able to dramatically move their support across the convention floor. At the riding level, Liberals often parachute favoured candidates in, while Tories leave it up to the local riding association. It avoids coronations and forces candidates to work hard.
Oosterhoff was not available Tuesday, but has promised to speak to me when things quiet down.
“Very busy this week, but hope to contact you at some point,” he said by e-mail.
Oosterhoff’s victory serves as a lesson for other “establishment” candidates: Work harder. Take nothing for granted.
You never know: It may help the party revive itself.
cblizzard@postmedia.com
Have the Ontario PCs been Ubered? | Blizzard | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
Ubered as in freed to participate sans regulatory mumbo jumbo?
Agree with ms blizzard on lib coronations where they hand pick wannabes suggesting this kid would never get to see the lib political ladder let alone climb it.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
There was an hour long debate today. I missed it but it can be heard between 6pm and 7 on 610 cktb Nov 10, 2016

Newstalk 610

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
19-year-old PC candidate has caused ripples

First posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 07:40 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, November 10, 2016 08:57 PM EST
His upset win of the PC nomination in Niagara West-Glanbrook wasn’t quite on a par with Donald Trump’s takeover of the White House, but it certainly raised eyebrows.
He’s not quite an International Man of Mystery. But Sam Oosterhoff has certainly caused ripples in Queen’s Park, where pundits, critics and assorted hangers-on tend to drink each others’ bathwater and tut-tut over political minutiae. He’s an unknown quantity, who’s upset political rainmakers on many fronts.
1. He’s 19 years old.
2. He’s unapologetically a social conservative.
3. He was home-schooled (apparently a no-no).
4. He believes the Liberals didn’t consult enough on the new sex-ed curriculum.
After numerous requests for an interview, I finally caught up with Oosterhoff on Thursday.
His age isn’t something people care about, he said.
“A lot of people are excited to have a fresh perspective, someone who has unlimited energy, who’s going to be working very hard for them and consulting with them and listening to their concerns and their priorities,” Oosterhoff said.
“I’m surrounding myself with good people, experienced people and I’m focused on getting good advice going forward.”
But he did upset the PC applecart when he defeated leader Patrick Brown’s friend and former MP Rick Dykstra for the nomination. Is the party angry, I asked.
“Patrick’s got right behind me. He’s been really great,” Oosterhoff said.
“People respect the amount of work I put into the nomination and they respect that I did go out and knock on all those doors and sold the memberships and asked people to come and support me, and put forward a coherent policy.”
Press releases the Liberals have put out slamming him for his social conservative views are just an attempt to distract from the real issues — mismanagement of the economy, soaring hydro costs and cuts to health care, he said.
“This byelection is about sending Premier Wynne a strong message that we can do better and Niagarans deserve better,” Oosterhoff said.
“I’m not a one-issue conservative. I’m a comprehensive conservative, but I’m focused on making sure we have policies that reflect the reality that we live in a very diverse country and a very diverse province and we need to make life better for all Ontarians.”
The Liberals didn’t listen to parents on the sex-ed curriculum, he added.
“We need to make sure we have a curriculum that recognizes the reality of the world kids are growing up in and we need to make sure parents are included in that discussion.
“The Ontario Liberals have done a really bad job of listening to people’s concerns.”
Being home-schooled was a “wonderful experience,” but he says he has respect for the public school system — although he sees room for improvement.
“More than half of Grade 6 students failed their math exams, so that’s a worrying sign,” he noted.
And no, he doesn’t think he missed out on anything. His brother is a professor at Cambridge University in the U.K. and he went to Brock University with a sizeable scholarship.
He plans to put his studies on hold until January and continue with night classes and summer school.
Oosterhoff may be young. He’s also bright, articulate and intelligent.
I think he’s going to go a long way.
The byelection is Nov. 17.
CBlizzard@postmedia.com
19-year-old PC candidate has caused ripples | Blizzard | Ontario | News | Toront

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
<snip> “The Ontario Liberals have done a really bad job of listening to people’s concerns.”
Boiled down this alone is his ticket and also the ticket that gave trump the keys to americas' oval office, brexit too launched from politicians ignoring public audio. Quite bizarre though that now americans are protesting their democratic system and brits rally to frame referendums as non binding, political types are clearly dumb but not stupid as they militarize cops shops to protect them from the civil unrest they've incubated.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
19-year-old PC candidate has caused ripples

First posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 07:40 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, November 10, 2016 08:57 PM EST
His upset win of the PC nomination in Niagara West-Glanbrook wasn’t quite on a par with Donald Trump’s takeover of the White House, but it certainly raised eyebrows.
He’s not quite an International Man of Mystery. But Sam Oosterhoff has certainly caused ripples in Queen’s Park, where pundits, critics and assorted hangers-on tend to drink each others’ bathwater and tut-tut over political minutiae. He’s an unknown quantity, who’s upset political rainmakers on many fronts.
1. He’s 19 years old.
2. He’s unapologetically a social conservative.
3. He was home-schooled (apparently a no-no).
4. He believes the Liberals didn’t consult enough on the new sex-ed curriculum.
After numerous requests for an interview, I finally caught up with Oosterhoff on Thursday.
His age isn’t something people care about, he said.
“A lot of people are excited to have a fresh perspective, someone who has unlimited energy, who’s going to be working very hard for them and consulting with them and listening to their concerns and their priorities,” Oosterhoff said.
“I’m surrounding myself with good people, experienced people and I’m focused on getting good advice going forward.”
But he did upset the PC applecart when he defeated leader Patrick Brown’s friend and former MP Rick Dykstra for the nomination. Is the party angry, I asked.
“Patrick’s got right behind me. He’s been really great,” Oosterhoff said.
“People respect the amount of work I put into the nomination and they respect that I did go out and knock on all those doors and sold the memberships and asked people to come and support me, and put forward a coherent policy.”
Press releases the Liberals have put out slamming him for his social conservative views are just an attempt to distract from the real issues — mismanagement of the economy, soaring hydro costs and cuts to health care, he said.
“This byelection is about sending Premier Wynne a strong message that we can do better and Niagarans deserve better,” Oosterhoff said.
“I’m not a one-issue conservative. I’m a comprehensive conservative, but I’m focused on making sure we have policies that reflect the reality that we live in a very diverse country and a very diverse province and we need to make life better for all Ontarians.”
The Liberals didn’t listen to parents on the sex-ed curriculum, he added.
“We need to make sure we have a curriculum that recognizes the reality of the world kids are growing up in and we need to make sure parents are included in that discussion.
“The Ontario Liberals have done a really bad job of listening to people’s concerns.”
Being home-schooled was a “wonderful experience,” but he says he has respect for the public school system — although he sees room for improvement.
“More than half of Grade 6 students failed their math exams, so that’s a worrying sign,” he noted.
And no, he doesn’t think he missed out on anything. His brother is a professor at Cambridge University in the U.K. and he went to Brock University with a sizeable scholarship.
He plans to put his studies on hold until January and continue with night classes and summer school.
Oosterhoff may be young. He’s also bright, articulate and intelligent.
I think he’s going to go a long way.
The byelection is Nov. 17.
CBlizzard@postmedia.com
19-year-old PC candidate has caused ripples | Blizzard | Ontario | News | Toront

Someone with a brain got elected. How could this have happened/?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Will views opposing LGBT equality be welcome in Patrick Brown's Progressive Conservative caucus?

Since becoming leader, Brown has made efforts to rebrand Ontario's Tories as a party of the 21st century – and to his credit, he made the gesture of marching in Toronto's Pride parade last year.

Of course, there are plenty of reasons to question Brown's sincerity.

Only months earlier, Brown won the PC leadership by pledging to repeal Ontario's sex-ed curriculum to secure the support of social conservatives paranoid about a so-called "gay agenda" (Brown would flip-flop on this promise).

And as a federal Conservative MP, Brown attended anti-same-sex marriage rallies and voted to reopen the same-sex marriage debate in 2006 (Brown flip-flopped on that too).

https://www.pressprogress.ca/does_p...didate_thinks_about_the_sins_of_homosexuality

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Party of Ontario has been Ubered.
Younger, more energetic and tech-savvy people have moved in, using the party’s own rules to disrupt the status quo.

This is all good. The Ontario Liberals are several years past their sell-by date and had the last PC leader not been so inept, they would have been fired last election.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
He’s not even been sworn in and already he’s breaking with his leader.

Newly elected MPP Sam Oosterhoff told the Star that if he had been able to vote on Bill 28, he would “definitely not have supported” it — even though a day earlier Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown said he expected his caucus to vote in favour of the legislation giving same sex couples and those who use reproductive technology legal recognition as parents.

Oosterhoff, Brown said Tuesday, is a “team player . . . we fully expect him to support the direction that I’m taking the party and I have confidence that he will.”

But in an interview, the 19-year-old MPP called it a “horrible piece of legislation” and said while all parents need to be respected the bill, as is, “can lead to litigation on the child.”

The All Families are Equal Act, the first update of parentage laws since 1978, passed unanimously Tuesday. It means same-sex parents will no longer have to go to court — spending thousands — to get legal recognition, allowing them to register births in the same way heterosexual couples do. The new legislation also means a birth parent can enter into a parenting agreement with up to three others before a child is conceived.

New Democrat MPP Cheri DiNovo, whose private member’s bill inspired the legislation, said it has taken more than a decade to make these changes as ordered by an Ontario Superior Court.

“This is a wonderful day,” said DiNovo (Parkdale-High Park). “Again, this is about the children. All children should be born having the same rights, and this finally accomplishes that.”

The bill passed with all 79 MPPs present in favour, including just over half of the Progressive Conservative caucus. A handful, known for socially conservative views, either did not show up or left before the vote.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...alls-parenting-bill-horrible-legislation.html

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
No more mom and dad, parent#1, parent#2, parent#3 and parent#4, if kids aren't already confused this will help them out, parent and step parent does not blur who is who at the zoo. Hopefully oosterhoff sticks to his guns as the queens park gaggle are clearly out of their tree.