Teck oilsands mine.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Another strange chapter opening in Alberta where they are awaiting federal approval for a new $20 billion oilsands mine.

In a province which lacks the infrastructure to move the oil they already have.

In a province that already has production cuts to help inflate the price of their oil

WTF are they doing creating another 260K bbls a day of oil? On a project that is supposed to stretch out over 40 years?

It really makes little sense.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Another strange chapter opening in Alberta where they are awaiting federal approval for a new $20 billion oilsands mine.

In a province that already has production cuts to help inflate the price of their oil

WTF are they doing creating another 260K bbls a day of oil? On a project that is supposed to stretch out over 40 years?

F*cking Groper assholes. The project was already approved years ago, they jumped through all the f*cking hoops but Groper demands a carbon tax. To put it bluntly, Groper is being a power-mad asswipe and will NOT approve an already approved project if Alberta doesn't quit fighting the carbon tax.
As for the rest of your bullshit whining, we'll just assume that the oil industry understands the market place a LOT better than you do.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

This bitumen will ensure that the Trans Mountain Expansion will have a never ending supply of tar sand to ship through vancouver.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Since Alberta has taken the feds to court over the carbon tax there is no way to even make a decision in this case.

Prediction: they simply delay the decision until some later date when they have legal clarity.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
F*cking Groper assholes. The project was already approved years ago, they jumped through all the f*cking hoops but Groper demands a carbon tax. To put it bluntly, Groper is being a power-mad asswipe and will NOT approve an already approved project if Alberta doesn't quit fighting the carbon tax.
As for the rest of your bullshit whining, we'll just assume that the oil industry understands the market place a LOT better than you do.
Hoid did say "oilsands."

Y'all should encourage him.

Baby steps.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Kinda like coal mine and natty gas development in BC huh?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I would agree most natural resource development is short sighted at best

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
99+% of the energy on the planet is sunlight, with various conversion steps (the rest is nuclear and tidal).

About 1000 watts/m square.

Seems to me the smartest way to go about it is to minimize the steps in collecting it.

Efficient an' stuff.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
99+% of the energy on the planet is sunlight, with various conversion steps (the rest is nuclear and tidal).
About 1000 watts/m square.
Seems to me the smartest way to go about it is to minimize the steps in collecting it.
Efficient an' stuff.
That would be burning biomass.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Well, in Canada it is not the market - I can tell you that much.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-...Not-Go-Ahead-Even-If-Trudeau-Approves-It.html

$15 Billion Oil Sands Project Might Not Go Ahead Even If Trudeau Approves It
By Irina Slav - Jan 30, 2020, 10:30 AM CST
Oil sands
Teck Resources is uncertain it will go ahead with a planned oil sands project that is awaiting the approval of the federal Canadian government, the Canadian Press reports, citing Teck’s chief executive.

The Frontier project, estimated to be worth $15.6 billion (C$20.6 billion), is an open oil sands mine that would yield 260,000 bpd at peak production, with its life estimated at 40 years. Yet it must first be approved by the Liberal government that has strict climate change fighting goals.

According to Teck Resources’ CEO Don Lindsay, however, the project may not go through even if the government grants it approval. The problem, he said during an investor conference in Alberta, was oil prices, among other things. Frontier’s profitability was based on higher oil prices, much higher than they are now. When it was first floated, the plan saw profitability at a West Texas Intermediate price of $75 per barrel. WTI is currently trading at a little over $50 a barrel and hasn’t touched $70 for years.

At the moment, the federal government’s decision on the Frontier project is closely watched by all stakeholders. According to some, this decision could seal the fate of the Canadian oil sands industry, which is why it is very likely that the government will delay it as it seeks to find a way to please two opposing camps that have no meeting point. The pro-oil camp wants the industry to grow. The pro-climate camp is fixated on emission reduction.

Whatever Prime Minister Trudeau decides, one of these groups will be unhappy.

Yet if the government does approve the project and Teck Resources decides not to go ahead with it, this could be an even harder blow to the industry, a sign that the investment climate and the oil price environment has worsened so much that it is making projects that were deemed profitable just three years ago, unprofitable.

By Irina Slav for Oilprice.com

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It is not oil price that will kill these projects. It is the cost and uncertainty of getting approvals that will end investment in Canada. TrudOWE and his cronies are working hard to make us a third world country where only the trust fund kids have any money.