Teacher, 24, found dead outside school; student in custody

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Teacher, 24, found dead outside school; student in custody
Scott Malone, Reuters
First posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:01 AM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 02:41 PM EDT
BOSTON - Massachusetts authorities on Wednesday charged a 14-year-old high school student in the murder of a math teacher at the school, after finding the teacher's body in the woods nearby.
The student, Philip Chism, pleaded not guilty to the murder charge and was ordered held without bail in a brief proceeding at Salem District Court, according to the clerk's office.
Chism has been charged as an adult, which could subject him to a longer prison sentence in an adult facility if he is found guilty of killing Colleen Ritzer, 24.
Massachusetts law allows people as young as 14 to be charged as adults when the crime is murder.
Police in Danvers, Mass., began an investigation late on Tuesday after receiving calls that a student at the school and a teacher had not gone home, Essex County District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett told reporters on Wednesday.
After discovering blood in a second-floor bathroom, police extended their search to the woods behind the school, where they found Ritzer's body.
"It was apparent that she was a homicide victim," Blodgett said. "This is a terrible tragedy."
Ritzer is the second U.S. educator this week to die in an incident involving a student, after a Nevada middle school teacher was shot dead by a 12-year-old student on Monday.
Investigators from the local medical examiner's office on Wednesday carried a stretcher out of the woods where Ritzer's body was found.
Police on Tuesday had issued a missing-child report for Chism. A photo posted on the Danvers Police Department's Facebook page at the time of the search showed a tall, lanky, short-haired Chism wearing a red and black soccer uniform.
He was found walking along a highway about 12:30 a.m. EDT on Wednesday.
Students from the school left bouquets and a teddy bear in front of the school in Ritzer's memory.
All public schools in Danvers, which is about 20 miles (32 km) north of Boston, were closed on Wednesday, although police believed there was no continuing threat to public safety.
"We have no reason to believe there were any other suspects involved," Blodgett said. He declined to comment on how Ritzer was killed or if she might have had any type of relationship with the student.
Ritzer's family issued a brief statement to The Salem News asking for privacy.
"At this time we are mourning the tragic death of our amazing daughter and sister," the family said. "Everyone that knew and loved Colleen knew of her passion, her teaching and how she mentored each and every one of her students."
Ritzer described herself as a "Math teacher often too excited about the topics I'm teaching" on her Twitter account, @msritzermath, where she also posted homework assignments and links to math problems.
In the shooting incident in Nevada on Monday, teacher Michael Landsberry, 45, was shot and killed when he tried to stop the 12-year-old student armed with a handgun after he wounded two fellow students, then later turned the gun on himself.
Teacher, 24, found dead outside school; student in custody | World | News | Toronto Sun

Colleen Ritzer, slain Danvers High School teacher, allegedly killed with box cutter
Reuters
First posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:33 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:38 AM EDT
BOSTON - The Massachusetts teenager who has been charged with murdering a 24-year-old math teacher at his high school used a box cutter to stab the woman, then disposed of her body and went to the movies, local media reported on Thursday.
The 14-year-old, Philip Chism, pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to the charge of murdering Colleen Ritzer, whose body was discovered in the woods behind his high school in Danvers, Massachusetts, some 32 km north of Boston.
Chism apparently used a box cutter to stab and cut Ritzer in a second-floor bathroom of the school, the Boston Globe reported, citing an unnamed law enforcement official.
After dumping Ritzer’s body, Chism went on to buy a ticket for a 4:30 p.m. screening of the Woody Allen film “Blue Jasmine,” a law enforcement source told the Boston Herald.
A spokeswoman for Essex County District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett declined to comment on any details of the case.
The attack marked the second killing of a U.S. teacher by a student this week, following an incident in Nevada in which a 12-year-old boy armed with a handgun shot dead a teacher and wounded two schoolmates before turning his gun on himself.
Police in Danvers began investigating the incident after neither Chism nor Ritzer returned to their homes after school on Tuesday. They had initially issued a missing child report for Chism.
When a search for Ritzer turned up blood in the bathroom at Danvers High School late Tuesday, the police began a criminal investigation. Chism was found walking along a highway a few miles from the school shortly after midnight Wednesday morning.
Prosecutors charged Chism as an adult, which allowed them to release his name and could mean that he would face a longer potential sentence in an adult prison rather than a juvenile facility if he is convicted.
Chism, who played on the Danvers High School junior varsity soccer team, had recently moved to the New England town from Tennessee.
Colleen Ritzer, slain Danvers High School teacher, allegedly killed with box cutter | World | News | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Massachusetts teenager charged with murdering, raping teacher
Daniel Lovering, Reuters
First posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 06:00 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, November 21, 2013 06:21 PM EST
BOSTON - A Massachusetts grand jury on Thursday indicted a 14-year-old high school student on charges of murder, aggravated rape and armed robbery in the death of a 24-year-old math teacher at his school near Boston last month.
Philip Chism, 14, has pleaded not guilty to the charge of murdering Colleen Ritzer, whose body was found on Oct. 22 in the woods behind the high school in Danvers, Massachusetts, about 20 miles (32 km) north of Boston.
In indictments handed up on Thursday, an Essex County grand jury said Chism “did kill and murder” Ritzer, but that the exact cause of death remained undetermined, according to a statement from the Essex County District Attorney’s Office.
“The indictments returned today detail horrific and unspeakable acts,” District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said in the statement.
Prosecutors said Chism sexually assaulted Ritzer with an object and, armed with a box cutter, robbed her of credit cards, an iPhone and her underwear, the statement said.
Chism cut the woman in a second-floor bathroom of the school before disposing of her body and going to see the Woody Allen film “Blue Jasmine,” the Boston Globe reported last month, citing an unnamed law enforcement official.
Ritzer’s family said they continued to mourn her death.
“We are devastated and heartbroken by the details of the horrific circumstances surrounding the death of our beautiful daughter and sister, Colleen,” the family said in a statement.
Prosecutors charged Chism as an adult, which allowed them to release his name and could mean he faces a longer sentence in an adult prison rather than a juvenile facility if he is convicted.
His attorney, Denise Regan, declined to comment on Thursday.
Chism, who played on the junior varsity soccer team at Danvers High School, had recently moved to the New England town from Tennessee.
Massachusetts teenager charged with murdering, raping teacher | World | News | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Boston teenager pleads not guilty to rape, robbing, and murder of teacher
REUTERS
First posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 04:07 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 07:40 PM EST
BOSTON - A Massachusetts teenager pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to charges he raped, robbed and killed his high school teacher in one of the state's grisliest crimes.
Philip Chism, 14, entered the plea in Salem Superior Court after a grand jury indicted him last month in the killing of 24-year-old math teacher Colleen Ritzer at a school in Danvers, about 20 miles (32 km) north of Boston, in October.
Prosecutors said Chism sexually assaulted Ritzer with an object and, armed with a box cutter, robbed her of credit cards, an iPhone and her underwear. He allegedly cut the woman in a school bathroom before disposing of her body and going to see the Woody Allen film "Blue Jasmine" at a local cinema.
Dressed in a blue sweater, khaki pants and topsiders and wearing handcuffs and leg manacles, Chism responded to the charges with a quietly uttered "not guilty" before listening, head bowed, to the remainder of the hearing.
The judge ordered him to remain held without bail. His next hearing is set for Jan. 30.
Chism is being charged as an adult for the murder, but his attorney, Denise Regan, has argued he should be tried as a juvenile for the rape and robbery charges - which could affect his sentence if he is found guilty.
Chism, who played on the junior varsity soccer team at Danvers High School, had recently moved to the New England town from Tennessee.
Boston teenager pleads not guilty to rape, robbing, and murder of teacher | World | News | Toronto Sun

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I don't care that he's only 14 years old. If he is found guilty of this crime, I want him to spend the rest of his life in prison. Despicable and disgusting!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't care that he's only 14 years old. If he is found guilty of this crime, I want him to spend the rest of his life in prison. Despicable and disgusting!

I don't know if it's state to state or Federal but I was just reading an article about a woman who's being released from prison (she's dying of cancer) who wad incarcerated for life for a murder committed when she was 15. And I could swear the article said that they couldn't sentence someone to life if they were a minor anymore. Maybe because of a Supreme Court ruling. But what can you do with someone who does something like this?!?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't know if it's state to state or Federal but I was just reading an article about a woman who's being released from prison (she's dying of cancer) who wad incarcerated for life for a murder committed when she was 15. And I could swear the article said that they couldn't sentence someone to life if they were a minor anymore. Maybe because of a Supreme Court ruling. But what can you do with someone who does something like this?!?

Ummmmmmmmmm, drop them in a swamp somewhere after dark?

I'm beginning to wonder if that isn't a rough neighbourhood! Lizzie Borden hung out around there somewhere. -:)

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

If they want to give them the same penalties as adults thats fine with me - but give the same rights to the law abiding people of the same age. Why should they only be considered adults if they break the law and not if they follow it? The inconsistencies annoy me.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm beginning to wonder if that isn't a rough neighbourhood! Lizzie Borden hung out around there somewhere. -:)

Lol, yeah, 100 years ago (or whatever). They also burned witches in that general vicinity too.

If they want to give them the same penalties as adults thats fine with me - but give the same rights to the law abiding people of the same age. Why should they only be considered adults if they break the law and not if they follow it? The inconsistencies annoy me.

Yeah, for me it's about how much harm someone does and can they come back from that. I generally think the younger you are, the better chance of real change. But to do something that horrible says there's something really wrong. Maybe " unfixable" wrong.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

I read both articles, but I couldn't see anywhere where they said he couldn't get life ( I could have missed it). Since he was charged as an adult, perhaps that means he is now eligible for life in prison? I'm almost certain that his age would preclude them from giving him the death sentence (if that's even available in that state), which I am fine with. Life in prison (or at the very least, a very long prison sentence) is something that I hope he gets (if he is found guilty).

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, for me it's about how much harm someone does and can they come back from that. I generally think the younger you are, the better chance of real change. But to do something that horrible says there's something really wrong. Maybe " unfixable" wrong.

Even if it is 'fixable' a large section of society wont be satisfied. You *might* be able to fix what is in a persons head but the dead are still dead. There is no fixing that.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I read both articles, but I couldn't see anywhere where they said he couldn't get life ( I could have missed it). Since he was charged as an adult, perhaps that means he is now eligible for life in prison? I'm almost certain that his age would preclude them from giving him the death sentence (if that's even available in that state), which I am fine with. Life in prison (or at the very least, a very long prison sentence) is something that I hope he gets (if he is found guilty).

No, it was a different article. I'm on my iPad but I'll look for the article I was reading tomorrow. (pasting an article or link is a pain in the butt on the iPad. Lol)

Even if it is 'fixable' a large section of society wont be satisfied. You *might* be able to fix what is in a persons head but the dead are still dead. There is no fixing that.

Well part of a sentence does have to be restitution. Paying your debt to society and all. Part of it, I believe is to protect society from the continued harm the person can cause. But it also should be about rehabilitation too, where possible. I just don't think something this vile can be rehabilitated.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
No, it was a different article. I'm on my iPad but I'll look for the article I was reading tomorrow. (pasting an article or link is a pain in the butt on the iPad. Lol)

Well part of a sentence does have to be restitution. Paying your debt to society and all. Part of it, I believe is to protect society from the continued harm the person can cause. But it also should be about rehabilitation too, where possible. I just don't think something this vile can be rehabilitated.

Thanks. Just post it when you can.