Stupid, Dumb and Just Plain Ignorant Cop Thread

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Awhite Cobb County police lieutenant who told a woman during a traffic stop that “we only shoot black people” will be fired, the police chief said on Thursday.

But even as Chief Mike Register was on live TV announcing the termination of Lt. Greg Abbott, Abbott was sending an email to the county announcing his retirement, Commission Chairman Mike Boyce said. Boyce said it wasn’t clear how that development would affect plans to dismiss the officer.

At Thursday’s press conference, Chief Register said, “I have known Lt. (Greg) Abbott for years and perceived him as honorable, but he’s made a mistake. I don’t know what is in his heart, but I know what came out of his mouth. We recommend that he be terminated and we are moving forward on that.”

The lieutenant has been on the force for 28 years.

The date stamp on the video is July 10, 2016 — just a few days after Minnesota police shot and killed Philando Castile, whose girlfriend recorded his death with her phone.

Cobb County police lieutenant will lose job over racial remark

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Wow! Almost 1200 posts in this thread. I didn't realize just how many stupid, dumb and just plain ignorant cops there actually were.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Video: Georgia cop under fire for saying 'cops only kill black people' during DUI stop
POSTMEDIA NETWORK
First posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:56 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, August 31, 2017 01:03 PM EDT
The attorney for an embattled Georgia police officer says his client was trying to de-escalate a situation when he told a passenger that cops “only kill black people” during a DUI stop.
Lt. Greg Abbot’s interaction launched an internal investigation after WSB-TV Atlanta obtained dashcam video this week of an incident that occurred last summer.
“I’ve just seen way too many videos of cops,” the timid passenger tells the veteran cop after being asked to pick up her cellphone to make a call.
Her hesitancy to obey instruction drew Abbot’s controversial response.
“But you’re not black,” Abbot says in the video. “Remember, we only shoot black people. We only kill black people, right?"
“All the videos you’ve seen, have you seen the black people get killed?”
Abbot’s lawyer told WSB-TV his client is cooperating with an internal investigation.
“His comments must be served in their totality to understand their context,” Lance LoRusso said, adding the passenger in the video was uncooperative during the exchange.
“His comments were clearly aimed at attempting to gain compliance by using the passenger’s own statements and reasoning to avoid making an arrest.”
Abbot has since been place on administrative duties pending an investigation by the Cobb County Police Department.
Local Police Chief Mike Register told WSB-TV that Abbot’s statements weren’t acceptable, regardless of the context.
Anvato Universal Player
Video: Georgia cop under fire for saying 'cops only kill black people' during DU

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
‘This is crazy,’ sobs Utah hospital nurse as cop roughs her up, arrests her for doing her job

By Derek Hawkins September 1

By all accounts, the head nurse at the University of Utah Hospital’s burn unit was professional and restrained when she told a Salt Lake City police detective he wasn’t allowed to draw blood from a badly injured patient.

The detective didn’t have a warrant, first off. And the patient wasn’t conscious, so he couldn’t give consent. Without that, the detective was barred from collecting blood samples — not just by hospital policy, but by basic constitutional law.

Still, Detective Jeff Payne insisted that he be let in to take the blood, saying the nurse would be arrested and charged if she refused.

Nurse Alex Wubbels politely stood her ground. She got her supervisor on the phone so Payne could hear the decision loud and clear. “Sir,” said the supervisor, “you’re making a huge mistake because you’re threatening a nurse.”

Payne snapped. He seized hold of the nurse, shoved her out of the building and cuffed her hands behind her back. A bewildered Wubbels screamed “help me” and “you’re assaulting me” as the detective forced her into an unmarked car and accused her of interfering with an investigation.

The explosive July 26 afternoon encounter was captured on officers’ body cameras and is now the subject of an internal investigation by the police department, as the Salt Lake City Tribune reported Thursday. The videos were released by the Tribune, the Deseret News and other local media.

On top of that, Wubbels was right. The U.S. Supreme Court has explicitly ruled that blood can only be drawn from drivers for probable cause, with a warrant.

Wubbels, who was not criminally charged, played the footage at a news conference Thursday with her attorney. They called on police to rethink their treatment of hospital workers and said they had not ruled out legal action.

“I just feel betrayed, I feel angry, I feel a lot of things,” Wubbels said. “And I’m still confused.”

Salt Lake police spokesman Sgt. Brandon Shearer told local media that Payne had been suspended from the department’s blood draw unit but remained on active duty. Shearer said Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown had seen the video and called it “very alarming,” according to the Deseret News.

It all started when a suspect speeding away from police in a pickup truck on a local highway smashed head-on into a truck driver, as local media reported. Medics sedated the truck driver, who was severely burned, and took him to the University of Utah Hospital. He arrived in a comatose state, according to the Deseret News. The suspect died in the crash.

A neighboring police department sent Payne, a trained police phlebotomist, to collect blood from the patient and check for illicit substances, as the Tribune reported. The goal was reportedly to protect the trucker, who was not suspected of a crime. His lieutenant ordered him to arrest Wubbels if she refused to let him draw a sample, according to the Tribune.

A 19-minute video from the body camera of a fellow officer shows the bitter argument that unfolded on the floor of the hospital’s burn unit. (Things get especially rough around the 6-minute mark).

A group of hospital officials, security guards and nurses are seen pacing nervously in the ward. Payne can be seen standing in a doorway, arms folded over his black polo shirt, waiting as hospital officials talk on the phone.

“So why don’t we just write a search warrant,” the officer wearing the body camera says to Payne.

“They don’t have PC,” Payne responds, using the abbreviation for probable cause, which police must have to get a warrant for search and seizure. He adds that he plans to arrest the nurse if she doesn’t allow him to draw blood. “I’ve never gone this far,” he says.

After several minutes, Wubbels shows Payne and the other officer a printout of the hospital’s policy on obtaining blood samples from patients. With her supervisor on speakerphone, she calmly tells them they can’t proceed unless they have a warrant or patient consent, or if the patient is under arrest.

“The patient can’t consent, he’s told me repeatedly that he doesn’t have a warrant, and the patient is not under arrest,” she says. “So I’m just trying to do what I’m supposed to do, that’s all.”

“So I take it without those in place, I’m not going to get blood,” Payne says.

Wubbels’s supervisor chimes in on the speakerphone. “Why are you blaming the messenger,” he asks Payne.

“She’s the one that has told me no,” the officer responds.

“Sir, you’re making a huge mistake because you’re threatening a nurse,” Wubbels’s supervisor says over the phone.

At that point, Payne seems to lose it.

He paces toward the nurse and tries to swat the phone out of her hand. “We’re done here,” he yells. He grabs Wubbels by the arms and shoves her through the automatic doors outside the building.

Wubbels screams. “Help! Help me! Stop! You’re assaulting me! Stop! I’ve done nothing wrong! This is crazy!”

Payne presses her into a wall, pulls her arms behind her back and handcuffs her. Two hospital officials tell him to stop, that she’s doing her job, but he ignores them.

“I can’t believe this! What is happening?” Wubbels says through tears as the detective straps her into the front seat of his car.

Another officer arrives and tells her she should have allowed Payne to collect the samples he asked for. He says she obstructed justice and prevented Payne from doing his job.

“I’m also obligated to my patients,” she tells the officer. “It’s not up to me.”

In Thursday’s news conference, Wubbels’s attorney Karra Porter said that Payne believed he was authorized to collect the blood under “implied consent,” according to the Tribune. But Porter said “implied consent” law changed in Utah a decade ago. And in 2016, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that warrantless blood tests were illegal. Porter called Wubbels’s arrest unlawful.

“The law is well-established. And it’s not what we were hearing in the video,” she said. “I don’t know what was driving this situation.”

Wubbels has worked as a nurse at the hospital since 2009, according to the Tribune. She was previously an Alpine skier who competed under her maiden name in the 1998 and 2002 Winter Olympics.

As a health-care worker, she said it was her job to keep her patients safe.

“A blood draw, it just gets thrown around like it’s some simple thing,” she said, according to the Deseret News. “But your blood is your blood. That’s your property.”

For now, Wubbels is not taking any legal action against police. But she’s not ruling it out.

“I want to see people do the right thing first and I want to see this be a civil discourse,” she said Thursday, according to the Deseret News. “If that’s not something that’s going to happen and there is refusal to acknowledge the need for growth and the need for re-education, then we will likely be forced to take that type of step. But people need to know that this is out there.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m-nurse:homepage/story&utm_term=.b754cb2c8d95

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'We only shoot black people' officer fired over traffic stop video
Kate Brumback, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 10:33 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 01, 2017 10:48 AM EDT
MARIETTA, Ga. — A police lieutenant in Georgia who was recorded on video during a traffic stop saying “we only shoot black people” is being fired, the police chief said Thursday.
Dashcam video from July 2016 shows a car stopped on the side of a road and a woman can be heard telling Cobb County police Lt. Greg Abbott she was scared to move her hands in order to get her cellphone. Abbott, who is white, interrupts her and says, “But you’re not black. Remember, we only shoot black people. Yeah. We only shoot black people, right?”
Announcing his decision to fire Abbott, Police Chief Mike Register remarked that “there’s really no place for these types of comments in law enforcement.” Speaking at a news conference, Register added, “I feel that no matter what context you try to take those comments in, the statements were inexcusable and inappropriate. They’re not indicative of the values that I’m trying to instil within the Cobb County police department and that I believe the county holds.”
Register said he learned of the comments after television station WSB-TV obtained the video and made the department aware of it. Abbott, who had been an officer for 28 years, was placed on administrative duties while the department investigated the video.
Watch the raw traffic stop dashcam video here
Abbott’s attorney, Lance LoRusso, did not immediately respond to an email Thursday seeking comment on the firing. He had earlier said in a statement that Abbott was co-operating with the investigation, and his comments were meant to “de-escalate a situation involving an unco-operative passenger.”
Register said he’s worked hard since becoming chief in June to strengthen the relationship between the department and the community.
“It’s sad to think that several seconds of video has the potential of tearing that apart, and I hope that is not the case,” he said, later adding, “This badge and this uniform should mean that there’s justice and fairness for all.”
Watch the Cobb County Police Department press conference here
The department plans to rework its policies for reviewing videos to better catch problems, Register said.
Register said he’s known Abbott for many years and has known him to be an honourable man. The report from the internal review indicates that Abbott was trying to be sarcastic and to address the situation as he perceived it, Register said.
“He made a mistake,” Register said. “I don’t know what’s in his heart but I certainly know what came out of his mouth. It’s inexcusable.”
Read the full press release from Cobb County Police Department here
Black community leaders applauded Register’s quick action.
“Although we applaud them for their transparency in this regard, the officer’s interjection of race into the stop was particularly troubling and may be systematic, a deeper issue in the department,” said Deane Bonner of the Cobb County chapter of the NAACP.
“Police misconduct is not news,” said Ben Williams, chairman of the Cobb County chapter of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. “The real story here, in my opinion, is the behaviour of this police chief in Cobb County, Georgia.”
“To be here today and to stand with Chief Register as he pulls the shades up and exposes the sunrise here in Cobb County as that pertains to the conduct of the Cobb County Police Department, that’s the news,” he added.
"WE ONLY KILL BLACK PEOPLE, RIGHT?" Video shows interaction between police officer from Georgia and woman during traffic stop | WSB-TV
Anvato Universal Player
http://facebook.com/CobbCountyPoliceDepartment/videos/1449932818455405
http://cobbcounty.org/index.php?opt...ounty-police-department&catid=400&Itemid=1838
'We only shoot black people' officer fired over traffic stop video | World | New

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Robbery charges stayed after York Regional Police officers beat suspect: Judge
By Michele Mandel, Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 08:10 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 08:19 PM EDT
Gil Kim openly admitted he was part of the 2012 robbery of a Rogers Plus store in Markham that netted $7,000 in cash and $80,000 worth of cellphones. But Kim is a free man.
Why you may ask?
Better ask the cops. A Newmarket judge has stayed the charges after finding two veteran hold-up squad detectives with York Regional Police violated Kim’s Charter rights by trying to beat a confession out of him and then lying about it in court.
“The circumstantial evidence when looked at as a whole can lead to no other conclusion,” wrote Ontario Superior Court Justice Cory Gilmore in her recent 30-page decision. “They placed Mr. Kim in an unmonitored room for an extended period of time and used physical intimidation to attempt to extract a confession from him. When they were unsuccessful, they had to hide the evidence of their actions by washing the blood out of his shirt and placing him away from the video camera for his interview.”
Thankfully, those two officers are now under investigation.
“Chief Eric Jolliffe was not previously aware of this incident; however, once learning of it, he immediately initiated a Chief’s complaint under Part 5 of the Police Services Act. He also engaged Peel Regional Police to conduct an independent investigation of the incident,” said spokesman Const. Andy Pattenden.
Kim, now 27, faced five charges in connection with the armed robbery of the Rogers Plus store on Markham Rd. on May 30, 2012. “It was an aberration for him,” says his lawyer David Bayliss.
According to the judgement, Kim admitted to the court that he was part of the robbery and was captured on video in a disguise and placing the cellphones and money into a duffle bag.
Arrested two months after the crime, Kim was taken to an interview room in the police station not monitored by video. He was allegedly told by Det. Alec Tompras and Det. Dave Noseworthy to admit everything or they’d beat him. When he refused, Kim said Noseworthy put on leather gloves and repeatedly punched him in his head and torso, while Tompras slammed his head against the wall and told him, “This is what happens to people who rob businesses in broad daylight.”
Kim was in shock. “I thought this stuff only happened in movies,” he testified.
When his nose started bleeding, Kim said the cops left the room with his shirt, tank top and shoes. When they returned, his shirt was damp and warm with most of the blood stains gone — he contends from washing it to the nearby washroom. He was then hit in the head with his shoe and kicked in the shin before being moved to another room where he was interviewed with his back to the video camera.
“The only inference to be drawn,” said the judge, “is that this was done to ensure that the blood on Mr. Kim’s shirt or any facial swelling would not be seen on camera.”
After his release on bail, Kim eventually went to the hospital with concussion-like symptoms. He gave his shirt to his defence lawyer and DNA tests confirmed the stains were of his dried blood.
Both officers denied assaulting Kim. Neither could explain how blood got on his shirt when it wasn’t there in his booking photographs earlier that evening. “I do not accept the denial of Det. Tompras or Det. Noseworthy,” Gilmore said. “I find that the police conduct in this case brings the integrity of law enforcement into disrepute and offends society’s sense of justice.”
Without the shirt, Kim’s lawyer says it’s unlikely he would have brought the stay application. “I’ve had many cases where allegations have been made about police misconduct in interview rooms but it’s not too often that I pursue them because it’s almost impossible to win the credibility contest.”
In addition to the DNA evidence, Bayliss said, “this decision also required a very courageous judge.”
As for Kim, he’s grateful Gilmore sent a message that police are not above the law. “I was at the mercy of these detectives for my well-being and they made me feel so helpless,” he recalled in an interview.
He’s since gone back to university to complete a psychology degree. “I have brought a lot of shame on my family,” Kim said. “I am going to live my life in a way where my family will be proud of who I will become.”
Read Mandel Wednesday through Saturday.
Robbery charges stayed after York Regional Police officers beat suspect: Judge |

And then, 'Pop-pop': New Carlisle News reports cop shot its photographer he thought had a gun
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 09:31 AM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 09:44 AM EDT
NEW CARLISLE, Ohio — The photographer for a small Ohio news organization who employees say was shot by a sheriff’s deputy who mistook his camera for a weapon is uninterested in seeing the officer punished.
The New Carlisle News reports photographer Andy Grimm left the office Monday to photograph lightning when he saw a Clark County sheriff’s deputy performing a traffic stop in New Carlisle, north of Dayton.
Grimm says he got out of his Jeep to take pictures of the traffic stop and started setting up his tripod and camera when he was shot in the side.
"I was going out to take pictures and I saw the traffic stop and I thought, 'hey, cool. I'll get some pictures here," Grimm told the New Carlisle News.
"I turned around toward the cars and then 'pop, pop.'"
An update on the organization’s Facebook page says Grimm is “doing fine” after surgery and doesn’t want the deputy to lose his job.
The case has been turned over to the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation.
"I know (the officer)," Grimm added. "I don't want him to lose his job over this."
Deputy Shoots New Carlisle News Photographer
And then, 'Pop-pop': New Carlisle News reports cop shot its photographer he thou

Cop who roughly arrested nurse fired from medic job
Lindsay Whitehurst, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 05:34 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 08:12 PM EDT
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah police officer seen on video roughly arresting a nurse who refused to draw blood from a patient was fired Tuesday from his part-time paramedic job.
Salt Lake City Detective Jeff Payne’s termination came after he said on the video that he’d bring transient patients to the hospital and take the “good patients” elsewhere to retaliate against nurse Alex Wubbels.
Those remarks were concerning for Gold Cross Ambulance President Mike Moffitt, who said he’d heard them for the first time when the video was released last week.
“That’s not the way we conduct our business, that’s not the way we treat people in our city,” Moffitt said.
Wubbels was following hospital policy when she refused on July 26 to let Payne take blood without a warrant or formal consent from the patient who was unconscious in the hospital burn unit.
He had been in a car accident that started with a police chase. Payne maintained in his report that he wanted the blood sample to protect the man rather than prosecute him.
There were no answers Tuesday at publicly listed phone numbers for Payne. The Salt Lake police union didn’t immediately return messages seeking comment
Police body-camera video shows Wubbels calmly explaining that she could not allow a blood draw from a patient who hadn’t been arrested or consented, unless police had a warrant. They did not, but Payne insisted and put her on the phone with his lieutenant who said she would be arrested if she didn’t agree.
The dispute ended with Payne handcuffing Wubbels and dragging her outside while she screamed and said, “I’ve done nothing wrong!”
Her lawyer, Karra Porter, said she can understand ambulance company would be troubled by his comments and the decision to let him go wasn’t surprising.
Payne was put on paid leave by Salt Lake City police after the video emerged. A second officer was also put on leave after authorities opened a criminal investigation into the arrest.
The other officer has not been identified. Police have said the lieutenant’s actions are also under review.
Payne joined Salt Lake City police more than 20 years ago and worked for Gold Cross as an EMT and paramedic since 1983. He was generally a hardworking, conscientious employee who followed the rules, so his behaviour on the video was shocking, Moffitt said.
Gold Cross is a private company that contracts with Salt Lake City to respond to medical calls in the city.
[youtube]ihQ1-LQOkns[/youtube]
Cop who roughly arrested nurse fired from medic job | World | News | Toronto Sun

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

right wingers should be adamantly defending 2d Amendment rights for these people in order to stop government abuses

Cop who roughly arrested nurse fired from medic job

Yeah but he belongs in jail. Right wingers should exercise their 2d Amendment rights and arrest him for his crimes.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
York cop pleads guilty to siccing K-9 on suspect
The Canadian Press
First posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 01:26 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 07:01 PM EDT
TORONTO - A York Regional Police officer has pleaded guilty to assault after siccing his K-9 unit dog on a man who was lying down awaiting arrest.
Const. Michael Partridge has admitted to his role in the assault that occurred on March 30, 2016 that left a man with minor injuries.
A Toronto court heard on Wednesday that a surveillance video captured the incident that shows Partridge kicking and punching the suspect while the dog bit and clamped down on the man’s arm.
The officer was originally charged with assault and assault with a weapon — the weapon being the dog — but the officer pleaded to simple assault rather than go to a trial, which was scheduled to begin today.
York police had been investigating break-and-enters in the Toronto area and wanted to arrest three men following one alleged incident in Brampton, Ont., which led them to downtown Toronto where they had been joined by local police as two suspects fled on foot.
Another officer had ran after one of the suspects who eventually stopped running and lay face down in an alley when Partridge released his dog.
York cop pleads guilty to siccing K-9 on suspect | Watch | Toronto & GTA | News

Former B.C. RCMP spokesman Tim Shields describes 'flirty' office relationship in sex assault trial
Keith Fraser, Postmedia Network
First posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 09:38 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 09:44 PM EDT
VANCOUVER - Former RCMP spokesman Tim Shields says he had a “very flirty” relationship with a former colleague who claims he sexually assaulted her in the workplace.
The colleague, a civilian RCMP employee who cannot be identified due to a publication ban, testified that Shields led her into a unisex washroom that she'd never seen before, locked the door, kissed her and said they had chemistry before he undid her bra, touched her breasts, unbuttoned her pants and put her hand on his genitals.
On Tuesday, Shields’ first day of testimony, he told Vancouver provincial court Judge Patrick Doherty that the sexual touching was consensual and that his colleague was an enthusiastic participant. While she claims the bathroom incident took place in September 2009, Shields testified it happened in April of that year.
Under cross-examination Wednesday, he was asked by the Crown what he meant by his relationship being flirty in March and April 2009.
“(She) was dropping by my office unannounced for no specific work-related purpose,” Shields told the judge. “They were social visits. They started with a hug. The hug evolved over time from friendly to more intimate.”
The accused said his colleague complimented him on his looks and they had conversations that started with work and led to more personal subjects and the flirting.
“There was the prolonged eye contact, the frequent smiles that she gave, the laughter where she would laugh out loud and tilt her head back when she laughed. It was a mutual exchange.”
“To be fair, Mr Shields, you can only testify as to how you understood the relationship, fair?” asked Crown counsel Michelle Booker.
“I can testify about what I saw and heard and experienced her doing which is why I believe what I said to be true,” said Shields.
The former Mountie, who served in the force for 18 years and was at one time the spokesman for the RCMP in B.C., said that the hugging evolved to become "more sensual."
“The hugs started out as friendly, short, camaraderie-type of hugs. Over time they got longer. There was more body contact. The front of her body was pressed up against the front of my body for longer periods of time. I would feel her hands moving up and down my back, just a little bit.”
The accused admitted however he never met his colleague for drinks or went out for dinner with her and never went for walks in the park or on the beach.
When Booker suggested they never had lunch together, he said they may have had lunch in the work cafeteria.
Asked whether they shared any “sexting” which she defined as sharing of intimate sexual talk through messages, he said there was no such talk.
He conceded that he’d never bought her a gift — no chocolates, wine, jewelry or flowers.
Asked whether she ever invited him out, he said that while walking from the bathroom incident towards her car, she implied an invitation to her home.
“She said something to the effect of, ‘I know where we can meet next time.’ ”
“You assumed that she meant her home, correct?” said Booker.
“Yes,” said Shields.
“But she did not specifically invite you to her home,” said Booker.
“She didn’t use the word, ‘You can come to my home,’ said Shields.
Earlier Wednesday, Shields’ lawyer David Butcher took the accused through a series of emails exchanged between Shields and the colleague after the bathroom incident which indicated a friendly relationship between the two.
Shields told the judge he’d also met with the colleague in May 2011 after she invited him out to tea at a Cambie Street restaurant.
“We had a very friendly meeting, sitting across the table from each other. She bought me a London Fog (tea) drink. We chatted about work. We chatted about our personal lives. We laughed, we smiled. We were two friends enjoying each other.”
Butcher is alleging that the colleague and her now-common-law husband were motivated to fabricate the sexual assault allegations for financial gain. The colleague at one point had her sick benefits threatened to be cut off and the husband’s tech business had failed.
On Wednesday, Butcher applied to have the husband recalled for further cross-examination, alleging he had perjured himself during his testimony last Friday. The judge agreed to the application. The husband is expected to resume testimony Thursday. Shields will then continue his cross-examination.
kfraser@postmedia.com
twitter.com/keithrfraser
Former B.C. RCMP spokesman Tim Shields describes 'flirty' office relationship in

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Seahawks’ Bennett says he feared death by Las Vegas police
Ken Ritter, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 01:08 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:12 PM EDT
LAS VEGAS — Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett accused Las Vegas police on Wednesday of racially motivated excessive force, saying he was threatened at gunpoint and handcuffed following a report of gunshots at an after-hours club at a casino-hotel.
Police said they’re investigating, but that Bennett failed to stop for officers searching a crowded casino for what they believed to be an active shooter just hours after the Aug. 26 boxing match between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor.
“I believe this case will become completely clear as all the available video is reviewed for evidentiary purposes,” Clark County Undersheriff Kevin McMahill told reporters. “We’ll see very, very clearly exactly what happened on this incident.”
Bennett said on a Twitter message titled “Dear World,” that police “singled me out and pointed their guns at me for doing nothing more than simply being a black man in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
McMahill aired a lengthy video clip taken from a police sergeant’s body camera during a search of the Cromwell casino after a report of gunfire at the Drai’s nightclub. But he said at least one officer who encountered Bennett didn’t have his body camera on at the time.
Bennett isn’t seen until the very end of the clip — being handcuffed as he lies prone in a traffic lane on Las Vegas Boulevard.
McMahill said that with an internal affairs investigation just beginning, he saw “no evidence that race played any role in this incident.”
Police and casino officials later attributed the report of gunfire to the sharp sound of velvet rope stands being knocked to a tile floor.
Bennett, during a brief appearance Wednesday at the Seahawks’ practice facility in Renton, Washington, described the incident as “traumatic” but declined to go into specifics about it.
“It’s a traumatic experience for me, my family and it sucks that the country that we live in now sometimes you get profiled for the colour of your skin,” Bennett said. “Do I think every police officer is bad? No, I don’t believe that. Do I believe there are some people out there that judge people by the colour of their skin? I do believe that.”
“I’m just trying to focus on the game, focus on the task at hand and let everything take care of itself,” Bennett said. “But like I said this is a tragic situation for me, I hate to be up here at this moment. There is a lot of people who experienced what I experienced at that point, at that moment and they’re not here to tell their story.”
Bennett, a 6-foot-4 defensive end who has been a leader of the national anthem protests started by former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick , said he was among several hundred people running away.
In his Twitter message, Bennett said he was handcuffed face-down on the ground after an officer held a gun to his head saying he would blow his head off if he moved.
“All I could think of was ‘I’m going to die for no other reason than I am black and my skin colour is somehow a threat,”’ he wrote. He said he thought of his wife and children.
Bennett said he was taken to the back of a police car “until they apparently realized I was not a thug, common criminal or ordinary black man but Michael Bennett a famous professional football player.” He was released without charges.
Las Vegas police Officer Jacinto Rivera said police were checking for casino and police body camera video and written reports. He said the department couldn’t immediately verify Bennett’s account or identify the officers involved.
A video posted by celebrity news site TMZ shows a view from a balcony as a police officer kneels on the back of a man who looks like Bennett. Protests are heard, including, “I wasn’t doing nothing,” and, “I was here with my friends. They told us to get out and everybody ran.”
Bennett’s attorney, John Burris in Oakland, California, confirmed the words were Bennett’s. The attorney said he believed the 30-second video clip showed some of how his client was treated.
“We think there was an unlawful detention and the use of excessive force, with a gun put to his head,” Burris told The Associated Press. “He was just in the crowd. He doesn’t drink or do drugs. He wasn’t in a fight. He wasn’t resisting. He did nothing more or less than anyone in the crowd.”
Burris said Bennett waited to make public his account of the incident until after Burris contacted Las Vegas police last week by letter and email, seeking police records of Bennett’s detention.
McMahill said he had no knowledge of any letter or email last week from Bennett or Burris.
Bennett’s brother, Martellus Bennett, who plays for the Green Bay Packers, posted an Instagram account of a telephone call he said he got from Michael Bennett. He said he heard fear in his brother’s voice.
“The emotion and the thought of almost losing you because of the way you look left me in one of the saddest places ever,” Martellus Bennett said.
Michael Bennett has been one of the most outspoken pro athletes on numerous social issues. Last month, he held a benefit for the family of a pregnant black woman who was fatally shot by two white Seattle police officers in June. Police said the woman threatened the officers with at least one knife after calling 911 to report that someone had broken into her apartment and stolen video-game consoles.
Advocates on Wednesday cited Bennett’s treatment by police as an illustration of troubled race relations in America.
Patrisse Cullors, a co-founder of the Black Lives Matter advocacy group, called it “a testament to the police violence targeting black people in the United States.”
Cullors endorsed an online petition calling for Las Vegas police to release information about what she called an assault on Bennett.
———
AP Sports Writer Tim Booth in Seattle contributed to this report.
Seahawks

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ex-cop sentenced to prison for torching supervisor’s home
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 12:45 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 07, 2017 12:49 PM EDT
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. — A judge sentenced a former New Jersey police officer on Thursday to 20 years in prison for firebombing his supervisor’s home, and said his time on the force “was a complete fraud.”
Under terms of a plea agreement, Michael Dotro, 40, of Manalapan, must serve 17 years before he’ll become eligible for parole.
“The reality is that this person took his position as a police officer and turned it into a nightmarish story line,” Superior Court Judge Pedro Jimenez said.
Dotro did not speak during Thursday’s sentencing. He had been an Edison police officer for 10 years.
He previously pleaded guilty to attempted murder and arson. He admitted setting fire to Edison police Capt. Mark Anderko’s home in Monroe Township in May 2013. Anderko’s wife, two children and mother were in the house at the time, but weren’t injured.
Authorities have said Dotro was angry about a recent transfer and a forced psychological evaluation.
“Sneaking up on a home in the early morning hours while everyone was asleep and knowing that other people were in the home, that’s depraved, there’s no doubt,” the judge said.
Ex-cop sentenced to prison for torching supervisor

Texas cop accused of faking his own death resigns
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 03:08 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 07, 2017 03:15 PM EDT
AUSTIN, Texas — A Texas police officer has resigned after allegedly trying to fake his own death and fleeing to Mexico.
The Austin American-Statesman and KVUE-TV report that 29-year-old Coleman Martin delivered his resignation letter on Wednesday to the Austin Police Department.
Court documents allege that Martin told his wife that he planned to drown himself. She reported him missing on April 25, and investigators found his abandoned truck near a lake the next day.
A woman later told authorities that she received an email from Martin that said he staged his death and fled to Mexico.
Martin was arrested at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport in May. Authorities say he was on a flight returning from Colombia.
Martin faces a misdemeanour charge of causing a false alarm.
Texas cop accused of faking his own death resigns | World | News | Toronto Sun

Utah asks FBI to investigate police in nurse's rough arrest
Lindsay Whitehurst, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 04:51 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 07, 2017 06:23 PM EDT
SALT LAKE CITY — Prosecutors have asked the FBI to join an investigation into the rough arrest of a Utah nurse after video of her being dragged screaming from a hospital drew widespread condemnation, authorities said Thursday.
Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill is overseeing a criminal investigation into officers involved in the handcuffing of nurse Alex Wubbels. He is asking for FBI help in part because his office can’t prosecute possible civil rights violations like wrongful arrest, Gill said.
“This is a very important issue, and it’s of great concern in our community,” he said. A federal probe could also look for any larger systematic problems that contributed to the arrest, Gill said.
The FBI opened its own civil rights review after the video surfaced last week and has agreed to assist the county investigation, FBI spokeswoman Sandra Yi Barker said.
Wubbels was following hospital protocol when she calmly refused to allow a blood draw on an unconscious patient without consent or a warrant on July 26. The patient had been injured when he was hit by a truck fleeing from police.
Salt Lake City police detective Jeff Payne insisted on drawing the blood, maintaining in his report that he wanted the sample to protect the man rather than prosecute him. He was supported by his supervisor, Lt. James Tracy, who said the nurse could be arrested if she didn’t agree.
The dispute ended with Payne handcuffing Wubbels and dragging her outside while she screamed that she’d done nothing wrong. She was later released without charge.
Payne, who has worked for the department for over 20 years, was put on paid leave by Salt Lake City police after the video emerged. A second officer also put on leave has not been identified, but police have said Tracy’s actions are also under review.
Neither Payne nor Tracy could be reached for comment Thursday. The Salt Lake police union didn’t return messages seeking comment.
Payne has also been fired from his part-time job as a paramedic following comments he made on the video about taking transient patients to the hospital as retaliation.
Utah asks FBI to investigate police in nurse's rough arrest | World | News | Tor

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Two U.S. students accuse Italian police of rape in Florence
Frances D'Emilio, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 10:26 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 08, 2017 02:12 PM EDT
ROME — Florence prosecutors on Friday were investigating allegations by two U.S. students that they were raped by Carabinieri policemen who escorted them home in a patrol car from a nightclub, allegations the U.S. State Department said it was taking very seriously.
Italian authorities said the 21-year-old students were questioned by prosecutors for several hours Thursday about their allegations. The women accused the officers of raping them early Thursday morning in their apartment building.
Italy has two main police forces that patrol its streets — the paramilitary Carabinieri, which are under the defence ministry, and the state police, who report to the interior ministry.
Italy’s defence minister said the two policemen will be immediately suspended if rape charges are lodged against them.
“Investigation is still underway, but there is some basis in respect to the allegations,” Minister Roberta Pinotti said Friday evening at a forum about women’s issues in Milan. “Rape is always something grave. But it’s of unprecedented gravity if it is committed by Carabinieri in uniform, because citizens turns to them and to their uniform to have assurances and security.”
Italian media say three patrol cars went to a nightclub to investigate a fight. Two cars left after calm was restored, but the third remained. The women, who reportedly spent the evening in the nightclub, told authorities that the officers drove them to their apartment building and raped them.
News reports described witnesses as confirming that they saw the women enter the patrol car.
The U.S. consul general in Florence met for about an hour with Florence’s state police chief Friday morning about the case, the Italian news agency ANSA said.
The U.S. Embassy in Rome refused to comment “due to the sensitive nature of this case and to protect the privacy of those involved.”
The women reportedly arrived in Florence several months ago to study Italian at a language institute.
Florence, with its many museums and churches full with Renaissance masterpieces, is a popular destination for many Americans, especially university students.
One heavily followed crime case involved the murder of American Ashley Olsen in her apartment in January 2016. Later that year, a court in Florence convicted a Senegalese man of killing the 35-year-old and sentenced him to 30 years in prison. An autopsy had determined that she had been strangled and suffered skull fractures.
Witnesses said Olsen and her attacker had met at a Florence nightclub a few hours before she was killed.
Two U.S. students accuse Italian police of rape in Florence | World | News | Tor

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Two Durham cops charged in drug trafficking probe | Toronto & GTA | News | Toron

Ohio cop pleads guilty to assaulting women with sex toy
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 08:33 AM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 08:46 AM EDT
CLEVELAND — A suburban Cleveland police officer suspected of assaulting two women with a sex toy during an illegal traffic stop has pleaded guilty to charges including gross sexual imposition.
Cleveland.com reports that prosecutors dropped a kidnapping charge against former East Cleveland Officer Kenneth Bolton Jr., of Middlefield, as part of a plea deal.
Prosecutors say Bolton illegally pulled over two women, ages 22 and 23, in February and used a sex toy he found in the back seat to rub their genitals over their clothing while they were seated in the vehicle.
A 16-year police veteran, Bolton was fired within two weeks of the incident after an investigation, Cleveland.com reported.
In the cop's termination letter, East Cleveland police chief Michael Cardilli noted to the prosecutor's office that Bolton admitted “to numerous misdemeanor and felony laws that you have recently violated.”
Bolton must register as a sex offender and will no longer be allowed to work as a police officer.
Sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 16.
Ex-East Cleveland police officer pleads guilty to sexually abusing women during traffic stop | cleveland.com
Ohio cop pleads guilty to assaulting women with sex toy | World | News | Toronto

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Toronto cops acquitted of sex assault charges won't face appeal
But that doesn't mean trio's police behaviour should be excused
First posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 08:04 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 14, 2017 08:10 PM EDT
The three Toronto Police officers acquitted on charges of sexual assault last month will not face the possibility of a new trial, the Sun has learned.
Following the 30-day review period, the ministry of the attorney general has confirmed the Crown has chosen not to file an appeal of the judgment by Ontario Superior Court Justice Anne Molloy. As far as the criminal justice system is concerned, Constables Leslie Nyznik, Joshua Cabero and Sameer Kara are in the clear.
But that doesn’t mean they should be back patrolling our streets any time soon.
A review by Professional Standards is still underway and no charges have been laid under the Police Act. All three remain suspended with pay as they’ve been since their arrest in February 2015.
“No final decision has been made,” said police spokesman Meaghan Gray.
It doesn’t seem all that difficult.
After all we heard during the sensational trial, charges of discreditable conduct seem obvious. It’s right there in the Police Act under regulation 2a(XI), any police officer commits misconduct if he “acts in a disorderly manner or in a manner prejudicial to discipline or likely to bring discredit upon the reputation of the police force of which the officer is a member.”
Few would argue that their behaviour that night brought discredit to Toronto Police.
Shall we recap?
On a rookie buy night, arranged by Nyznik, Kara got so drunk that he was vomiting all over the lobby of the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel and in full public view, had to be held up so he didn’t collapse on the floor. Charming.
At the Pravda nightclub, Nyznik recounted how they availed themselves of free vodka and food. At the Brass Rail strip club, the first round of drinks were also on the house. Nyznik can be seen on the video pawing at a stripper and appears to be such a regular customer that all the girls stand fawningly around him.
By his own account, he lied and told one of the strippers they were a porn movie crew from Miami and they’d love to get her back to their hotel for a “private audition.”
And of course, their admitted plans to hire a hooker for the night. Last time we checked, wasn’t that against the law?
Even Molloy seemed unimpressed by their disgusting behavior. But “the question is not whether they behaved admirably, or even ethically,” she said. Instead, the question was whether the woman’s evidence was credible and reliable and the judge wasn’t convinced of either.
But acquittal doesn’t excuse police behaviour, wrote lawyer Clayton Ruby and Annamaria Enenajor, calling their actions that night “utterly unethical,” “utterly disgusting” and “utterly inappropriate” in an article for the Lawyer’s Daily,
“Yes, these officers were acquitted, but it should not be that any conduct by a police officer short of sexual assault should be tolerated by society,” they wrote.
“These officers should not be on the police force and if Chief (Mark) Saunders had any sensitivity to his obligations to this community he would move to have them discharged.”
Saunders has taken one step - he’s banned the rookie buy nights, instructing officers that the initiation booze fest is no longer in keeping with police culture.
“Even when off duty, our members must be accountable for their adherence, or lack thereof, to the Core Values of the Toronto Police Service,” says the internal memo. “Disorderly behaviours, including excessive alcohol consumption and the unfair expectation of junior members to pay for others, are to end immediately.”
That’s a beginning. The next step is to ensure these officers are brought up on disciplinary charges. And if found guilty, ensure they never wear a police uniform again.
Toronto cops acquitted of sex assault charges won't face appeal | MANDEL | Toron

Hamilton special constable charged in alleged courthouse assault
The Canadian Press
First posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 05:09 PM EDT
Hamilton police say a special constable with the force is charged following an alleged assault at a courthouse.
They say the incident occurred at the John Sopinka Courthouse in Hamilton.
Police did not provide details of the alleged assault.
Investigators say the 38-year-old, part-time special constable was arrested Thursday and charged with assault.
The accused has been suspended from duty and is to appear in court on Oct. 17.
Hamilton special constable charged in alleged courthouse assault | Home | Toront

RCMP illegally snooped mobile phones with Stingray device: Watchdog
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:19 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:35 PM EDT
OTTAWA — The RCMP illegally scooped up mobile phone data half a dozen times using controversial Stingray devices, the federal privacy watchdog says.
An investigation by the privacy commissioner’s office found that the Mounties now require a judicial warrant for use of the technology, except in emergencies.
The probe also concluded the RCMP was properly hiving off, securing and ultimately destroying the personal information of innocent people collected by the devices.
But the watchdog chastised the national police force for initially refusing to even confirm publicly that it was using the technology, fuelling fears about unnecessary snooping.
The commissioner looked into the RCMP’s use of Stingrays in response to a complaint from public-interest group OpenMedia, which had concerns the Mounties were using the devices to monitor large groups of people and the content of their communications.
The watchdog found the RCMP’s devices were not capable of intercepting voice communications, or email or text messages.
A Stingray device, sometimes called an IMSI catcher, mimics a cellular tower, making all nearby mobile phones connect to it. Identifiers linked to individual phones can then be used to determine their location or owner.
As a result, collection of such data through a Stingray amounts to search and seizure, creating a need for a court-ordered warrant to ensure compliance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the privacy commissioner found.
http://openmedia.org
http://t.co/SgfcdE8nzY
RCMP illegally snooped mobile phones with Stingray device: Watchdog | Canada | N

Police allege state trooper beat, strangled woman at his home
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:54 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 14, 2017 01:02 PM EDT
BRADENVILLE, Pa. — A Pennsylvania state trooper who police say assaulted a woman has been suspended without pay.
The Tribune-Review reports 37-year-old Trooper Chad Corbett has been charged with aggravated indecent assault, strangulation, simple assault and reckless endangerment.
Police say Corbett hit, kicked, strangled and sexually abused a 36-year-old woman at his Derry Township home earlier this month. Corbett was arrested Sep. 4.
Corbett had been assigned to Troop A’s Kiski Valley Station before his suspension.
An attorney is not listed for Corbett. A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 2.
State trooper suspended, charged with strangling, assaulting woman at Derry home | TribLIVE
Police allege state trooper beat, strangled woman at his home | World | News | T

Report: Cop 'lost control' before violently arresting nurse
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 05:11 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 14, 2017 05:21 PM EDT
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah police chief will decide any possible punishment for an officer caught on video dragging a nurse from a hospital and handcuffing her after a review board found he lost control and got aggressive.
It appears Salt Lake City Detective Jeff Payne became upset during a long wait to draw blood from a patient and his frustration spilled over after nurse Alex Wubbels refused under hospital policy, the report from the independent Police Civilian Review board report said.
“His verbal actions were loud, aggressive, and overly mission driven,” the report released Wednesday states, adding that Payne “very clearly lost control of his emotions.”
That report and another from the Salt Lake City Police Department’s internal affairs investigators will be considered by police chief Mike Brown as he weighs possible punishment that could include firing.
Payne’s lawyer, Greg Skordas, said Thursday those conclusions were speculation.
“When I look at a police report, I think just the facts. You don’t need that kind of stuff,” he said. Payne will go before the chief on Sept. 25 to give his side of the story.
Payne’s only previous black mark in his 27-year tenure with Salt Lake City police was a written reprimand from 2013, Skordas said.
The report also faults supervisor Lt. James Tracy, who told Payne to arrest the nurse if she didn’t allow the blood draw, for not seeking legal advice on drawing blood from the car-crash victim without a warrant or formal consent. Police have since said Wubbels was right, and changed their policy.
Tracy’s attorney Ed Brass didn’t have immediate comment, saying he hadn’t been provided a copy of the report.
Salt Lake police opened an internal investigation a day after the July 26 arrest. Payne and Tracy were put on paid administrative leave after widespread attention followed the release of the body-camera video by Wubbels and her lawyer on Aug. 31.
The civilian review board report said that a third unnamed officer missed a chance to step in and calm things down despite a 2016 advisement for officers to intervene when their colleagues become frustrated with the words “code 909.”
Salt Lake Police spokeswoman Christina Judd said that’s been part of the department’s training on how to de-escalate situations rather than using force. It’s envisioned as a more subtle way for officers to help a situation that could be veering out of control, she said, though she didn’t know exactly how often it’s used.
Report: Cop 'lost control' before violently arresting nurse | World | News | Tor

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Toronto cops acquitted of sex assault charges won't face appeal
But that doesn't mean trio's police behaviour should be excused
First posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 08:04 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 14, 2017 08:10 PM EDT
The three Toronto Police officers acquitted on charges of sexual assault last month will not face the possibility of a new trial, the Sun has learned.
Following the 30-day review period, the ministry of the attorney general has confirmed the Crown has chosen not to file an appeal of the judgment by Ontario Superior Court Justice Anne Molloy. As far as the criminal justice system is concerned, Constables Leslie Nyznik, Joshua Cabero and Sameer Kara are in the clear.
But that doesn’t mean they should be back patrolling our streets any time soon.
A review by Professional Standards is still underway and no charges have been laid under the Police Act. All three remain suspended with pay as they’ve been since their arrest in February 2015.
“No final decision has been made,” said police spokesman Meaghan Gray.
It doesn’t seem all that difficult.
After all we heard during the sensational trial, charges of discreditable conduct seem obvious. It’s right there in the Police Act under regulation 2a(XI), any police officer commits misconduct if he “acts in a disorderly manner or in a manner prejudicial to discipline or likely to bring discredit upon the reputation of the police force of which the officer is a member.”
Few would argue that their behaviour that night brought discredit to Toronto Police.
Shall we recap?
On a rookie buy night, arranged by Nyznik, Kara got so drunk that he was vomiting all over the lobby of the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel and in full public view, had to be held up so he didn’t collapse on the floor. Charming.
At the Pravda nightclub, Nyznik recounted how they availed themselves of free vodka and food. At the Brass Rail strip club, the first round of drinks were also on the house. Nyznik can be seen on the video pawing at a stripper and appears to be such a regular customer that all the girls stand fawningly around him.
By his own account, he lied and told one of the strippers they were a porn movie crew from Miami and they’d love to get her back to their hotel for a “private audition.”
And of course, their admitted plans to hire a hooker for the night. Last time we checked, wasn’t that against the law?
Even Molloy seemed unimpressed by their disgusting behavior. But “the question is not whether they behaved admirably, or even ethically,” she said. Instead, the question was whether the woman’s evidence was credible and reliable and the judge wasn’t convinced of either.
But acquittal doesn’t excuse police behaviour, wrote lawyer Clayton Ruby and Annamaria Enenajor, calling their actions that night “utterly unethical,” “utterly disgusting” and “utterly inappropriate” in an article for the Lawyer’s Daily,
“Yes, these officers were acquitted, but it should not be that any conduct by a police officer short of sexual assault should be tolerated by society,” they wrote.
“These officers should not be on the police force and if Chief (Mark) Saunders had any sensitivity to his obligations to this community he would move to have them discharged.”
Saunders has taken one step - he’s banned the rookie buy nights, instructing officers that the initiation booze fest is no longer in keeping with police culture.
“Even when off duty, our members must be accountable for their adherence, or lack thereof, to the Core Values of the Toronto Police Service,” says the internal memo. “Disorderly behaviours, including excessive alcohol consumption and the unfair expectation of junior members to pay for others, are to end immediately.”
That’s a beginning. The next step is to ensure these officers are brought up on disciplinary charges. And if found guilty, ensure they never wear a police uniform again.
Toronto cops acquitted of sex assault charges won't face appeal | MANDEL | Toron

Hamilton special constable charged in alleged courthouse assault
The Canadian Press
First posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 05:09 PM EDT
Hamilton police say a special constable with the force is charged following an alleged assault at a courthouse.
They say the incident occurred at the John Sopinka Courthouse in Hamilton.
Police did not provide details of the alleged assault.
Investigators say the 38-year-old, part-time special constable was arrested Thursday and charged with assault.
The accused has been suspended from duty and is to appear in court on Oct. 17.
Hamilton special constable charged in alleged courthouse assault | Home | Toront

RCMP illegally snooped mobile phones with Stingray device: Watchdog
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:19 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:35 PM EDT
OTTAWA — The RCMP illegally scooped up mobile phone data half a dozen times using controversial Stingray devices, the federal privacy watchdog says.
An investigation by the privacy commissioner’s office found that the Mounties now require a judicial warrant for use of the technology, except in emergencies.
The probe also concluded the RCMP was properly hiving off, securing and ultimately destroying the personal information of innocent people collected by the devices.
But the watchdog chastised the national police force for initially refusing to even confirm publicly that it was using the technology, fuelling fears about unnecessary snooping.
The commissioner looked into the RCMP’s use of Stingrays in response to a complaint from public-interest group OpenMedia, which had concerns the Mounties were using the devices to monitor large groups of people and the content of their communications.
The watchdog found the RCMP’s devices were not capable of intercepting voice communications, or email or text messages.
A Stingray device, sometimes called an IMSI catcher, mimics a cellular tower, making all nearby mobile phones connect to it. Identifiers linked to individual phones can then be used to determine their location or owner.
As a result, collection of such data through a Stingray amounts to search and seizure, creating a need for a court-ordered warrant to ensure compliance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the privacy commissioner found.
http://openmedia.org
http://t.co/SgfcdE8nzY
RCMP illegally snooped mobile phones with Stingray device: Watchdog | Canada | N

Police allege state trooper beat, strangled woman at his home
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:54 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 14, 2017 01:02 PM EDT
BRADENVILLE, Pa. — A Pennsylvania state trooper who police say assaulted a woman has been suspended without pay.
The Tribune-Review reports 37-year-old Trooper Chad Corbett has been charged with aggravated indecent assault, strangulation, simple assault and reckless endangerment.
Police say Corbett hit, kicked, strangled and sexually abused a 36-year-old woman at his Derry Township home earlier this month. Corbett was arrested Sep. 4.
Corbett had been assigned to Troop A’s Kiski Valley Station before his suspension.
An attorney is not listed for Corbett. A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 2.
State trooper suspended, charged with strangling, assaulting woman at Derry home | TribLIVE
Police allege state trooper beat, strangled woman at his home | World | News | T

Report: Cop 'lost control' before violently arresting nurse
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 05:11 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 14, 2017 05:21 PM EDT
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah police chief will decide any possible punishment for an officer caught on video dragging a nurse from a hospital and handcuffing her after a review board found he lost control and got aggressive.
It appears Salt Lake City Detective Jeff Payne became upset during a long wait to draw blood from a patient and his frustration spilled over after nurse Alex Wubbels refused under hospital policy, the report from the independent Police Civilian Review board report said.
“His verbal actions were loud, aggressive, and overly mission driven,” the report released Wednesday states, adding that Payne “very clearly lost control of his emotions.”
That report and another from the Salt Lake City Police Department’s internal affairs investigators will be considered by police chief Mike Brown as he weighs possible punishment that could include firing.
Payne’s lawyer, Greg Skordas, said Thursday those conclusions were speculation.
“When I look at a police report, I think just the facts. You don’t need that kind of stuff,” he said. Payne will go before the chief on Sept. 25 to give his side of the story.
Payne’s only previous black mark in his 27-year tenure with Salt Lake City police was a written reprimand from 2013, Skordas said.
The report also faults supervisor Lt. James Tracy, who told Payne to arrest the nurse if she didn’t allow the blood draw, for not seeking legal advice on drawing blood from the car-crash victim without a warrant or formal consent. Police have since said Wubbels was right, and changed their policy.
Tracy’s attorney Ed Brass didn’t have immediate comment, saying he hadn’t been provided a copy of the report.
Salt Lake police opened an internal investigation a day after the July 26 arrest. Payne and Tracy were put on paid administrative leave after widespread attention followed the release of the body-camera video by Wubbels and her lawyer on Aug. 31.
The civilian review board report said that a third unnamed officer missed a chance to step in and calm things down despite a 2016 advisement for officers to intervene when their colleagues become frustrated with the words “code 909.”
Salt Lake Police spokeswoman Christina Judd said that’s been part of the department’s training on how to de-escalate situations rather than using force. It’s envisioned as a more subtle way for officers to help a situation that could be veering out of control, she said, though she didn’t know exactly how often it’s used.
Report: Cop 'lost control' before violently arresting nurse | World | News | Tor

Tay has sent me a comment about a cop who, as the article says; “only shoots black people” ! And my response to this matter is puzzlement? After all, idiot black people who don’t know how to behave around cops have been whining for years that cops only shoot black people!

The news article is set out below- with some comments of my own in brackets):

A white Cobb County police lieutenant who told a woman during a traffic stop that “we only shoot black people” will be fired, the police chief said on Thursday.

But even as Chief Mike Register was on live TV announcing the termination of Lt. Greg Abbott, Abbott was sending an email to the county announcing his retirement, Commission Chairman Mike Boyce said. Boyce said it wasn’t clear how that development would affect plans to dismiss the officer.

(It is an illustration of how utterly insane the world has gone that there should be such a mess over what was intended to be a humourous remark- albeit one with a dark edge to it. The cop had pulled over a WHITE WOMAN and asked her for licence and registration. For reasons best known to the airhead woman, she was extremely nervous and told the cop: “my papers are in my purse and she made some stupid remark about “don’t shoot me when I reach for it”. To which the cop replied- in an obviously failed effort to calm the woman: “don’t worry, we only shoot black people”! So its NOT a funny remark but it IS BELIEVED BY A LOT OF STUPID PEOPLE! So where is the harm in a stupid joke?)

At Thursday’s press conference, Chief Register said, “I have known Lt. (Greg) Abbott for years and perceived him as honorable, but he’s made a mistake. I don’t know what is in his heart, but I know what came out of his mouth. We recommend that he be terminated and we are moving forward on that.”

The lieutenant has been on the force for 28 years.

(A 28 year career FLUSHED by one silly remark about an ALLEGATION made by reverse racist black people who are too often trying to defend other black people who already have outstanding warrants! Madness rules this land!)

The date stamp on the video is July 10, 2016 — just a few days after Minnesota police shot and killed Philando Castile, whose girlfriend recorded his death with her phone.

(And what does Castile have to do with anything? As testimony at the trial revealed- Castile was a stoner who forgot ALL the firearm training he received and proceeded to do EVERYTHING WRONG until the alarmed cop who pulled him over ended up shooting him! MORE MADNESS- that a stoner would be allowed to roam the streets with a gun in his pocket and with NO ability to deal with cops in any sensible way! Castile was pulled over for TWO reasons- firstly, his car had a broken tail light and second- he matched the description of an armed robber cops were seeking! So cops had AN OBLIGATION to pull him over! Too bad LIE-berals do not consider the consequences of going armed to the grocery store while stoned to the eyeballs!)

(This is LIE-beral madness- just blame the cops because black morons do not know how to behave in public! And who takes a 9mm Glock grocery shopping? Unless Castile WAS the armed robber cops were seeking? And there is MORE LIE-beral madness-WAS Castile the robber being sought? We will NEVER KNOW as that file was CLOSED the moment Castile was shot! But CLEARLY the cop was doing his job in stopping Castile- and as the jury decided- the cop was protecting himself from an armed and stupid stoner when he shot Castile!)

(And there is another reason Castile may have been carrying the gun- as his girlfriend stated- they smoked weed daily- so was the gun NEEDED to make sure a drug deal went “smoothly’ with no trouble? Castile presented cops with serious potential trouble that LIE-berals do not wish to discuss or consider as it will seriously weaken their position!)

Cobb County police lieutenant will lose job over racial remark (Cobb County police lieutenant will lose job over racial remark)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Entire Philippine city police force fired over killings, robbery
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 08:12 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 15, 2017 08:19 AM EDT
MANILA, Philippines — A Philippine official on Friday ordered an entire city police force off the job in metropolitan Manila after some of its members were suspected in the gruesome killings of three teenagers and others were seen on surveillance cameras robbing a house.
The 1,200-strong Caloocan city police force will be relieved in batches and replaced, said metropolitan Manila police chief Oscar Albayalde. The officers will undergo 45 days of retraining, after which those facing no charges can be reassigned to other stations.
The Department of Justice has started an investigation based on a murder and torture complaint against four Caloocan policemen allegedly linked to the killing of 17-year-old student Kian delos Santos during an anti-drug raid last month.
The parents of two other teenagers — 19-year-old Carl Angelo Arnaiz and 14-year-old Reynaldo de Guzman — have also filed murder, torture and planting of evidence complaints against two Caloocan policemen.
Last week, security-camera video purportedly showed 13 policemen robbing a house during an alleged drug raid.
President Rodrigo Duterte’s crackdown on drugs, which has left thousands of suspects dead, has come under renewed scrutiny since police gunned down delos Santos. Police described him as a drug dealer who fired at officers during a raid, but his family and witnesses said the student was shot as he pleaded for his life.
Witnesses pointed to evidence, including a village security video, which they said showed two police officers dragging delos Santos away shortly before shots rang out and he was found fatally shot in the head, holding a pistol with his left hand although his parent said he was right-handed. Police officers testified at a Senate hearing that delos Santos was not the man seen being dragged in the video, although several witnesses doubted the police statement.
Delos Santos’s death was followed by another outcry over the killing of former University of the Philippines student Arnaiz. Police said he was killed when he shot it out with police after robbing a taxi driver last month. A government forensic expert, however, said Arnaiz apparently was handcuffed, tortured and shot five times.
Arnaiz’s parents say he went out with de Guzman to buy a snack on the night of Aug. 17 but never returned home. They found Arnaiz in a morgue 10 days later.
De Guzman’s body was found floating in a creek in a city north of Manila last week. The boy’s head was wrapped with packing tape and his body bore about 28 stab wounds.
Entire Philippine city police force fired over killings, robbery | World | News

White ex-cop acquitted in killing of black man in St. Louis
Jim Salter, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 10:48 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 15, 2017 10:54 AM EDT
ST. LOUIS — A white former police officer was acquitted Friday in the 2011 death of a black man who was fatally shot following a high-speed chase, and hundreds of demonstrators streamed into the streets of downtown St. Louis to protest the verdict that had stirred fears of civil unrest for weeks.
Ahead of the acquittal, activists had threatened civil disobedience if Jason Stockley were not convicted, including possible efforts to shut down highways. Barricades went up last month around police headquarters, the courthouse where the trial was held and other potential protest sites. Protesters were on the march within hours of the decision.
The judge who decided the matter declared that he would not be swayed by “partisan interests, public clamour or fear of criticism.”
The case played out not far from the suburb of Ferguson, which was the scene of the fatal shooting of Michael Brown, the unarmed black 18-year-old who was killed by a white police officer in 2014. That officer was never charged and eventually resigned.
Stockley, who was charged with first-degree murder, insisted he saw Anthony Lamar Smith holding a gun and felt he was in imminent danger. Prosecutors said the officer planted a gun in Smith’s car after the shooting. The officer asked the case to be decided by a judge instead of a jury.
“This court, in conscience, cannot say that the State has proven every element of murder beyond a reasonable doubt or that the State has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant did not act in self-defence,” St. Louis Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson wrote in the decision .
In a written statement, St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner acknowledged the difficulty of winning police shooting cases but said prosecutors believe they “offered sufficient evidence that proved beyond a reasonable doubt” that Stockley intended to kill Smith.
Assistant Circuit Attorney Robert Steele emphasized during the trial that police dashcam video of the chase captured Stockley saying he was “going to kill this (expletive), don’t you know it.”
Less than a minute later, the officer shot Smith five times. Stockley’s lawyer dismissed the comment as “human emotions” uttered during a dangerous police pursuit. The judge wrote that the statement “can be ambiguous depending on the context.”
Prosecutors objected to the officer’s request for a bench trial. The Constitution guarantees the right of criminal suspects to have their cases heard “by an impartial jury.” But defendants can also opt to have the verdict rendered by a judge.
Stockley, 36, could have been sentenced to up to life in prison without parole. He left the St. Louis police force in 2013 and moved to Houston.
The case was among several in recent years in which a white officer killed a black suspect. Officers were acquitted in recent police shooting trials in Minnesota, Oklahoma and Wisconsin. A case in Ohio twice ended with hung juries, and prosecutors have decided not to seek a third trial.
Fears of unrest prompted several downtown businesses and some schools to close early.
Video from St. Louis television stations showed a crowd that swelled from a handful to several hundred in the hours after the verdict and marched through city streets. The group included black and white protesters and some people carrying guns, which is allowed under state law.
Efforts at civil disobedience were largely unsuccessful. When several demonstrators tried to rush onto Interstate 64, they were blocked on an entrance ramp by police cars and officers on bikes. When they tried to enter the city’s convention centre, the doors were locked.
At one point, a group of the protesters stood in front of a bus filled with officers in riot gear, blocking it from moving forward. When officers began pushing back the crowd, protesters resisted, and police responded with pepper spray, two women told The Associated Press.
Both women’s faces had been doused with milk, which is used to counter the effects of pepper spray.
By early evening, police were saying a protest at a downtown intersection was no longer peaceful and that they were asking demonstrators to leave the area. Protesters had surrounded a police vehicle in front of the old police building near Tucker Boulevard and Clark Avenue and damaged it with rocks. Police approached and tried to secure the vehicle and some in the crowd threw rocks and pieces of curbing at them. Officers then used pepper spray on the group.
In a tweet, the police department said protesters were ignoring commands and violating the law and were subject to arrest.
The Rev. Clinton Stancil, a protest leader, said the acquittal was shocking based on the evidence but not surprising.
“It’s a sad day in St. Louis, and it’s a sad day to be an American,” Stancil said.
One man was arrested for damaging a police vehicle. There were also scattered reports of protesters attacking journalists, authorities said.
The St. Louis area has a history of unrest in similar cases, including after Brown’s death, when protests, some of them violent, erupted.
In Smith’s case, the encounter began when Stockley and his partner tried to corner Smith in a fast-food restaurant parking lot after seeing what appeared to be a drug deal. Stockley testified that he saw what he believed was a gun, and his partner yelled “gun!” as Smith backed into the police SUV twice to get away.
Stockley’s attorney, Neil Bruntrager, argued that Smith, a 24-year-old parole violator with previous convictions for gun and drug crimes, tried to run over the two officers. Stockley fired seven shots as Smith sped away. A chase ensued.
At the end of the chase, Stockley opened fire only when Smith, still in his car, refused commands to put up his hands and reached along the seat “in the area where the gun was,” Bruntrager said. Stockley said he climbed into Smith’s car and found a revolver between the centre console and passenger seat.
But prosecutors questioned why Stockley dug into a bag in the back seat of the police SUV before returning to Smith’s car.
The gun found in Smith’s car did not have his DNA on it, but it did have Stockley’s.
———
Associated Press Writer Summer Ballentine contributed to this report.
White ex-cop acquitted in killing of black man in St. Louis | World | News | Tor

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Entire Philippine city police force fired over killings, robbery
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 08:12 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 15, 2017 08:19 AM EDT
MANILA, Philippines — A Philippine official on Friday ordered an entire city police force off the job in metropolitan Manila after some of its members were suspected in the gruesome killings of three teenagers and others were seen on surveillance cameras robbing a house.
The 1,200-strong Caloocan city police force will be relieved in batches and replaced, said metropolitan Manila police chief Oscar Albayalde. The officers will undergo 45 days of retraining, after which those facing no charges can be reassigned to other stations.
The Department of Justice has started an investigation based on a murder and torture complaint against four Caloocan policemen allegedly linked to the killing of 17-year-old student Kian delos Santos during an anti-drug raid last month.
The parents of two other teenagers — 19-year-old Carl Angelo Arnaiz and 14-year-old Reynaldo de Guzman — have also filed murder, torture and planting of evidence complaints against two Caloocan policemen.
Last week, security-camera video purportedly showed 13 policemen robbing a house during an alleged drug raid.
President Rodrigo Duterte’s crackdown on drugs, which has left thousands of suspects dead, has come under renewed scrutiny since police gunned down delos Santos. Police described him as a drug dealer who fired at officers during a raid, but his family and witnesses said the student was shot as he pleaded for his life.
Witnesses pointed to evidence, including a village security video, which they said showed two police officers dragging delos Santos away shortly before shots rang out and he was found fatally shot in the head, holding a pistol with his left hand although his parent said he was right-handed. Police officers testified at a Senate hearing that delos Santos was not the man seen being dragged in the video, although several witnesses doubted the police statement.
Delos Santos’s death was followed by another outcry over the killing of former University of the Philippines student Arnaiz. Police said he was killed when he shot it out with police after robbing a taxi driver last month. A government forensic expert, however, said Arnaiz apparently was handcuffed, tortured and shot five times.
Arnaiz’s parents say he went out with de Guzman to buy a snack on the night of Aug. 17 but never returned home. They found Arnaiz in a morgue 10 days later.
De Guzman’s body was found floating in a creek in a city north of Manila last week. The boy’s head was wrapped with packing tape and his body bore about 28 stab wounds.
Entire Philippine city police force fired over killings, robbery | World | News

White ex-cop acquitted in killing of black man in St. Louis
First posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 10:48 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 15, 2017 10:54 AM EDT
ST. LOUIS — A white former police officer was acquitted Friday in the 2011 death of a black man who was fatally shot following a high-speed chase, and hundreds of demonstrators streamed into the streets of downtown St. Louis to protest the verdict that had stirred fears of civil unrest for weeks.
Ahead of the acquittal, activists had threatened civil disobedience if Jason Stockley were not convicted, including possible efforts to shut down highways. Barricades went up last month around police headquarters, the courthouse where the trial was held and other potential protest sites. Protesters were on the march within hours of the decision.
The judge who decided the matter declared that he would not be swayed by “partisan interests, public clamour or fear of criticism.”
The case played out not far from the suburb of Ferguson, which was the scene of the fatal shooting of Michael Brown, the unarmed black 18-year-old who was killed by a white police officer in 2014. That officer was never charged and eventually resigned.
Stockley, who was charged with first-degree murder, insisted he saw Anthony Lamar Smith holding a gun and felt he was in imminent danger. Prosecutors said the officer planted a gun in Smith’s car after the shooting. The officer asked the case to be decided by a judge instead of a jury.
“This court, in conscience, cannot say that the State has proven every element of murder beyond a reasonable doubt or that the State has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant did not act in self-defence,” St. Louis Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson wrote in the decision .
In a written statement, St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner acknowledged the difficulty of winning police shooting cases but said prosecutors believe they “offered sufficient evidence that proved beyond a reasonable doubt” that Stockley intended to kill Smith.
Assistant Circuit Attorney Robert Steele emphasized during the trial that police dashcam video of the chase captured Stockley saying he was “going to kill this (expletive), don’t you know it.”
Less than a minute later, the officer shot Smith five times. Stockley’s lawyer dismissed the comment as “human emotions” uttered during a dangerous police pursuit. The judge wrote that the statement “can be ambiguous depending on the context.”
Prosecutors objected to the officer’s request for a bench trial. The Constitution guarantees the right of criminal suspects to have their cases heard “by an impartial jury.” But defendants can also opt to have the verdict rendered by a judge.
Stockley, 36, could have been sentenced to up to life in prison without parole. He left the St. Louis police force in 2013 and moved to Houston.
The case was among several in recent years in which a white officer killed a black suspect. Officers were acquitted in recent police shooting trials in Minnesota, Oklahoma and Wisconsin. A case in Ohio twice ended with hung juries, and prosecutors have decided not to seek a third trial.
Fears of unrest prompted several downtown businesses and some schools to close early.
Video from St. Louis television stations showed a crowd that swelled from a handful to several hundred in the hours after the verdict and marched through city streets. The group included black and white protesters and some people carrying guns, which is allowed under state law.
Efforts at civil disobedience were largely unsuccessful. When several demonstrators tried to rush onto Interstate 64, they were blocked on an entrance ramp by police cars and officers on bikes. When they tried to enter the city’s convention centre, the doors were locked.
At one point, a group of the protesters stood in front of a bus filled with officers in riot gear, blocking it from moving forward. When officers began pushing back the crowd, protesters resisted, and police responded with pepper spray, two women told The Associated Press.
Both women’s faces had been doused with milk, which is used to counter the effects of pepper spray.
By early evening, police were saying a protest at a downtown intersection was no longer peaceful and that they were asking demonstrators to leave the area. Protesters had surrounded a police vehicle in front of the old police building near Tucker Boulevard and Clark Avenue and damaged it with rocks. Police approached and tried to secure the vehicle and some in the crowd threw rocks and pieces of curbing at them. Officers then used pepper spray on the group.
In a tweet, the police department said protesters were ignoring commands and violating the law and were subject to arrest.
The Rev. Clinton Stancil, a protest leader, said the acquittal was shocking based on the evidence but not surprising.
“It’s a sad day in St. Louis, and it’s a sad day to be an American,” Stancil said.
One man was arrested for damaging a police vehicle. There were also scattered reports of protesters attacking journalists, authorities said.
The St. Louis area has a history of unrest in similar cases, including after Brown’s death, when protests, some of them violent, erupted.
In Smith’s case, the encounter began when Stockley and his partner tried to corner Smith in a fast-food restaurant parking lot after seeing what appeared to be a drug deal. Stockley testified that he saw what he believed was a gun, and his partner yelled “gun!” as Smith backed into the police SUV twice to get away.
Stockley’s attorney, Neil Bruntrager, argued that Smith, a 24-year-old parole violator with previous convictions for gun and drug crimes, tried to run over the two officers. Stockley fired seven shots as Smith sped away. A chase ensued.
At the end of the chase, Stockley opened fire only when Smith, still in his car, refused commands to put up his hands and reached along the seat “in the area where the gun was,” Bruntrager said. Stockley said he climbed into Smith’s car and found a revolver between the centre console and passenger seat.
But prosecutors questioned why Stockley dug into a bag in the back seat of the police SUV before returning to Smith’s car.
The gun found in Smith’s car did not have his DNA on it, but it did have Stockley’s.
———
White ex-cop acquitted in killing of black man in St. Louis | World | News | Tor

Here is another report form spaminator illustrating that card carrying LIE-berals are able to both SUCK and BLOW at the same time! With some comments of my own in brackets):

spaminator says: Cop recorded punching man had multiple past complaints
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. First posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 07:53 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 08:00 PM EDT
EUCLID, Ohio — A white police officer seen on video punching a black man more than a dozen times in a traffic stop has received multiple complaints about his behaviour during his three years in the police department.

(Oh dear- firstly this is the CANADIAN Forum and Euclid Ohio in in a foreign country- not that such details would deter a hypocrite LIE-beral hell bent on proving- in spite of the available evidence- that Canada is inhabited by “systemic racists”! As if Cdns have anything to do with what happens in Ohio!)

According to documents obtained by The Associated Press through an open records request, Officer Michael Amiott received four letters of reprimand and one formal citizen complaint as a Euclid officer but was never disciplined beyond written citations. He was cited for pistol-whipping a driver with a handgun, mishandling evidence, losing his temper in front of his commanding officer and being involved in two crashes in police vehicles.

Some Euclid residents stepped forward last week to express concern about Amiott’s previous conduct. Euclid police hired Amiott in 2014 after he resigned from his previous position in Mentor, east of Cleveland.

(Oh my- concerned citizens have complained about the cop? Would any of these citizens be members of Black Lives Matter- the reverse racist group dedicated to defending CRIMINALS against arrest and incarceration? Black Lives Matter goofs seem to think that jobs like drug dealer, pimp and armed robber are valid career choices- hence the BLM defense of such thugs- with the aid of LIE-beral style hug a thug judges!)

Euclid police spokesman Lt. Mitch Houser and Euclid police union president Dave Trend did not return calls and messages seeking comment. The Euclid mayor’s office declined to comment, citing a pending investigation. No one answered at two phone numbers listed for Amiott.

Amiott has been suspended without pay for 15 days after the violent arrest of Richard Hubbard III that was captured on video Aug. 12. Police dashcam video shows Amiott ordering Hubbard to “face away” after Hubbard steps out of his car and then within seconds wrestling Hubbard to the ground.

(Oh dear- a violent arrest of an accused criminal? How does such a thing happen in our LIE-beral dominated society? And why is nobody explaining to us WHY it is that the black guy was under arrest in the first place? WHAT CRIME did he commit? LIE-berlas seek to pretend that such questions are irrelevant but ordinary citizens CLEARLY disagree! Many of us figure that if you do the crime then you must also do the time- and take your lumps if you resist! Too bad criminal blacks and vote hungry LIE- berals do not agree!)

Cuyahoga County prosecutor Michael O’Malley said his office has conferred with the U.S. attorney’s office and is investigating Amiott.

Amiott first became a full-time police officer in July 2013 in Mentor. He’s a nephew of Richard Amiott, a former Mentor police chief who died in May. Michael Amiott was allowed to resign rather than be fired in April 2014 for lying to other officers about why he stopped a man for a suspended license.

(Oh my- NO INNOCENT people in this mess- a suspended licence IS a VALID reason to stop a citizen! As a interesting related fact- Ontari-owe provincial police used to set up spot checks in Durham Region- the locations being announced in advance in local papers and people SPECIFICALLY WARNED WHERE cops would be looking for licences, registrations and valid insurance documents. How sad that one driver in three DID NOT HAVE the valid documents- IN SPITE of being warned away from the cop spot check location! I don’t know what the statistics are in rust belt Ohio but it may be as bad as in Durham Region? And this is the result of LIE-beral meddling and spending madness- they have turned virtually all of us into cheats and liars for the sake of survival!)

Euclid police hired Amiott five months later. Houser said the Euclid police chief at the time, now retired, was aware of Amiott’s forced resignation when he hired him.

The cellphone video of Hubbard’s arrest was viewed more than 7 million times on Facebook. It sparked outrage across the country and has inflamed racial tensions in Euclid. Angry residents confronted Euclid’s mayor and police chief at a City Council meeting last week.

(Oh gosh- the usual ONE SIDED citizen report of some cop dealing with a criminal has been seen 7 million times- as if the number of viewers of that propaganda has anything to do with justice!)

Here are some recent incidents that have provoked controversy about Amiott’s conduct, detailed in police reports and footage obtained by the AP:
———
YOUTH SOCCER COACH PEPPER SPRAY
Shawn George, 25, a Euclid soccer coach, was arrested by Amiott on July 31 after asking questions while Amiott and two other officers were patting down and handcuffing juveniles.

(The coach is clearly interfering with police business- as cops search for weapons held by suspects!)

The officers were responding to a call reporting a juvenile with a gun at a playground. They patted down two black juveniles and handcuffed one white juvenile who had a backpack containing a BB gun.

(OH my- the goof DID have a weapon- how surprisingly clever of cops to look for it!)

George confronted officers while they were detaining the juveniles and called a lawyer, the report said. George was ordered to leave multiple times but refused, prompting Amiott to try to handcuff George. When George tried to livestream the arrest with his cellphone, Amiott tossed George to the ground and pepper sprayed him several times.

“I thought I was going to die that day,” George told WKYC. “I was treated like I was a career criminal.”

(Oh dear- just another black FOOL who thinks that the magic phrase; “why are you arresting that guy- he ain’t done nothing” will magically make cops and legal troubles vanish!)
George, who’s black, was bruised during his arrest and charged with obstruction and resisting arrest. He declined to comment when approached by the AP. He’s due in court Sept. 7 for a pretrial hearing. No formal complaints or citations were filed against Amiott over the incident.

(The black goof was ordered to back off multiple times and is now surprised that he is in trouble for interfering with cops? As I have said- black people do NOT know how to relate to cps!)
———
LIBRARY ARREST
Amiott confronted a black 16-year-old girl and two other juveniles entering a public library around 3:30 p.m. on April 13, telling them they were barred from entering without an adult until 4:30 p.m. According to Amiott’s police report, they started horsing around by the library until he came out to order them to leave. The 16-year-old yelled at him, using a curse word, leading Amiott to take her to an office to write her up for disorderly conduct.

The girl pulled away and told Amiott to get off her, the report said. Amiott handcuffed the girl and took her inside to search for identification and weapons. When Amiott tried to open her bag, the girl refused.
“You’re not touching my bag,” the girl told Amiott, as shown on a bodycam video. Amiott then grabbed her and pulled her to the ground. The video shows Amiott pressing his knee into the girl’s back as she lies face down on the floor, crying. The girl was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.
Her mother criticized Amiott in comments to WKYC but declined to comment when contacted by the AP. Juvenile court records in Ohio are sealed from public view. No formal complaints or citations were filed against Amiott over the incident.

(Oh my- just MORE examples of black goofs who do not understand the rules! Black FOOLS can whine about library rules and entry requirements if they want- but cops are PAID to ENFORCE the rules- those who do not understand this may spend more time than they want in jail cells! Further- black FOOLS who resist police may end up bruised and battered thansk to their own ignorance of law!)
———
CITIZEN COMPLAINT
On April 1, Amiott pulled over a man driving to a paint store, swore at him, slammed a car door on his leg, and threatened to pepper spray and jail him, according to a citizen complaint filed in April.
Christopher Spencer’s complaint was ruled “not sustained” by Euclid police. Chief Scott Meyer said there was no evidence to prove or disprove Spencer’s claim and advised him to keep a “cool head” during police encounters.
Amiott charged Spencer with having an obstructed windshield. The charges were later dropped.

(So LIE-beral hug a thug judges CAVED and dismissed the charges about the obstructed windshield when black GOOFS whined? And who is being bullied now-black people or ordinary citizens who have to deal with a black driver who cannot see clearly out his windshield and may cause a crash?)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Protests after white ex-cop acquitted in killing of black man in St. Louis
First posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 10:48 AM EDT | Updated: Saturday, September 16, 2017 11:26 AM EDT
ST. LOUIS — A white former police officer was acquitted Friday in the 2011 death of a black man who was fatally shot following a high-speed chase, and hundreds of demonstrators streamed into the streets of downtown St. Louis and later an upscale neighbourhood to protest the verdict that had stirred fears of civil unrest for weeks.
Ahead of the acquittal, activists had threatened civil disobedience if Jason Stockley were not convicted, including possible efforts to shut down highways. Barricades went up last month around police headquarters, the courthouse where the trial was held and other potential protest sites. Protesters were marching within hours of the decision.
More than a dozen arrests were made, and several officers were hurt as the day went on.
The case played out not far from the suburb of Ferguson, Missouri, which was the scene of the fatal shooting of Michael Brown, the unarmed black 18-year-old who was killed by a white police officer in 2014. That officer was never charged and eventually resigned.
Stockley, who was charged with first-degree murder, insisted he saw 24-year-old Anthony Lamar Smith holding a gun and felt he was in imminent danger. Prosecutors said the officer planted a gun in Smith’s car after the shooting.
In an interview with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch , Stockley said he understands how the video of him fatally shooting Smith looks bad to investigators and the public, but he said the optics have to be separated from the facts and he did nothing wrong.
“I can feel for and I understand what the family is going through, and I know everyone wants someone to blame, but I’m just not the guy,” he said.
Stockley, 36, asked the case to be decided by a judge instead of a jury. Prosecutors objected to his request for a bench trial.
Stockley, who left St. Louis’ police force in 2013 and moved to Houston, could have been sentenced to up to life in prison without parole.
“It’s a sad day in St. Louis, and it’s a sad day to be an American,” the Rev. Clinton Stancil, a protest leader, said regarding the acquittal.
The crowd of protesters included blacks, whites and other races. Some people carried guns, which state law allows.
At times, things escalated. Earlier in the day, protesters stood in front of a bus filled with officers in riot gear, blocking it from moving forward. When officers began pushing back the crowd, protesters resisted and police responded with pepper spray. Later, protesters surrounded a police vehicle and damaged it with rocks. Some in the crowd threw rocks and pieces of curbing at police who tried to secure the vehicle. That led to officers using pepper spray again.
As night came, hundreds of protesters moved to St. Louis’ upscale Central West End section, where they marched and chanted as people looked on from restaurants and hospital windows lining busy Kingshighway. The group tried marching onto I-64 again, but police blocked their path.
Following a mostly silent sit-in, protesters resumed marching. Some demonstrators burned an American flag as others cheered.
After protesters broke a front window and splattered red paint at St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson’s home, police in bulletproof vests and helmets arrived and demanded they get off the lawn and out of the street in front of the house. Officers used tear gas to try to move the crowd out of the area.
Krewson had called for calm and understanding ahead of the verdict and later said she was appalled by what happened to Smith and “sobered” by the outcome.
Some journalists covering the protests said they were targets of threats and violence from demonstrators. A freelance Associated Press videographer said a protester threw his camera to the ground and damaged it. He said later he was using a different camera and protesters told him they would beat him if he didn’t put it away. A KTVI reporter said water bottles were thrown at him after a protester taunted him, drawing a crowd.
Stockley’s attorney, Neil Bruntrager, argued that Smith tried to run over the two officers. Stockley fired seven shots as Smith sped away. A chase ensued.
Protests after white ex-cop acquitted in killing of black man in St. Louis | Wor

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

I found that statement very odd. Self defense is an affirmative defense, which means the burden of proof is on the defendant. The judge shifted the burden to the prosecution to prove a negative.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I found that statement very odd. Self defense is an affirmative defense, which means the burden of proof is on the defendant. The judge shifted the burden to the prosecution to prove a negative.

Hard to deny you did it when they got you on video pumping 5 shots into the victim.

Your country is fu^ked up TB! I don't care about any skin color or who is who in what role, when a guy states "I'm going to kill this (expletive)..." and then does it less than a minute later, then gets away with it because he has a uniform on, well I think some big time violent riots are well deserved.