PEI...for now

beentheredonethat

Nominee Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally Maxie
Ocean Breeze said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4269994.stm

gridlock as people evacuate.....

( would be hellish to have car trouble or run out of gas in this situation..) :(

Guess what? My friends on the Gulf Coast are stuck - they can't get out. Four different families in different cities. They can't get gas, and the gridlock is causing such delays that some people have turned around to go back home and hunker down. Many of the delays are caused by cars that ran out of gas because they had been in traffic for 13 - 16 hours.

Been There

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
MASS EXODUS AS RITA CLOSES IN
23.9.2005. 09:16:15

RELATED STORIES
- Rita 'potential catastrophe'
- Hurricane Rita intensifies

Hundreds of thousands of people across the Texas and Louisiana coastlines have fled vulnerable towns and cities fearing a repeat of the devastation of Hurricane Katrina as Rita tracks ever closer to the US Gulf Coast.

Despite weakening slightly to a strong category four storm, down from the most severe storm level of category five, Rita is generating wind speeds of up to 240 kilometres an hour – equal to that of Katrina when she slammed into Louisiana on August 29.

The sheer scale of the storm, which measures 300 kilometres across with tropical storm winds reaching out even further, has prompted orders for an estimated 1.8 million people to leave their homes and seek shelter further inland.

“This is a big, dangerous storm, it is a massive storm, it covers half of the Gulf of Mexico,” David Paulison, the acting head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), said.

“I don’t think anyone on the Gulf Coast is out of harm’s way.”

Most at risk is Galveston, a city of 57,000 people perched atop a narrow barrier island connected by bridge and ferry to the rest of Texas.

The US National Hurricane Centre predicts the eye of Rita will hit just east of Galveston late Friday or early Saturday local time.

Galveston’s city manager said that about 90 percent of the city’s residents had heeded the call to leave, taking any form of transport available – cars, buses, bikes and some walking.

Unlike in New Orleans’ evacuation ahead of Katrina, authorities let everyone bring their pets in a bid to encourage more people to go

But some have refused.

“I am 16, I am crying because I left my grandma. She doesn’t want to leave,” said Suzanne Garay as she boarded a bus.

Eighty kilometres away, large areas of America’s fourth biggest city, Houston, were also being cleared.

Cars snaked slowly north along freeways, with some drivers running out of petrol after being stuck in bottle necks for 14 hours.

Hotels hundreds of kilometres away were quickly filled up, forcing others to look further afield for temporary accommodation to wait out the storm.

Flood-ravaged New Orleans was again off-limits to residents, desperate to return after a three-week ordeal.

Authorities fear that the city’s repaired levee system will be no match for the torrential downpours and storm surges Rita is expected to bring, leaving the low-lying city prone to fresh floods.

Keen to show an improved government response this time around, President George W Bush is planning a visit to Texas to check on preparations.

Criticisms of a slow and chaotic relief effort after Hurricane Katrina have met with resolve to avoid similar errors.

Crucial communications installations have been put in place using military satellite phones that will be able to operate if phone lines and mobile phone towers are knocked out.

The governors of Texas and Louisiana have requested an additional 25,000 federal troops be sent to the two states.

Already, 5,000 Texas national guards and 1,000 state troopers have been called in by Texas Governor Rick Perry, while in Louisiana at least 4,000 soldiers of the 82nd Airborne Division have been put to work.

A fleet of 26 helicopters has been sent to Army Airfield Martindale in Texas in readiness for search and rescue missions.

All US navy ships have been moved out of the Gulf, with five planning to swing in behind Rita to take part in the relief effort, bringing 800 marines with them.

Meanwhile, some in the US oil industry are also anticipating the worst.

“It’s almost like what Katrina didn’t get, this one’s going to,” said T Boone Pickens, the head of BP Capital.

Damage from Katrina has seen a drop in output of 28.5 million barrels, or 5.2 percent of annual production in the Gulf of Mexico.

Even if oil facilities come off relatively unscathed, it will take at least two weeks for already overstretched refineries that have been shut down to resume production.

A darker outlook foresees the potential for extensive damage that will push oil and petrol prices past the recent record highs.

HOCK

Nominee Member
Feb 18, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
Re: RE: Storm Rita

Hank C Cheyenne said:
2 dollars a litre in Canada? holy cow manda where do you live?
damn i thought 1.01 was high, although i expect to see 1.10 - 1.15 in the next few days.

Just outside (West)of Toronto last night, gas was at $2.39 (Mississauga). Most stations in the Kingston area are now around the $1.04 area, Belleville is down to $0.94

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la

Hank C Cheyenne said:
2 dollars a litre in Canada? holy cow manda where do you live?
damn i thought 1.01 was high, although i expect to see 1.10 - 1.15 in the next few days.

I live in Prince edward Island...it hasn't gone up again yet, on the 2nd of the month it went up to 1.34 a litre, then dropped to 123.1, and is now at 113.1, but is going up again uurrgh.

BTW Ocean, the female storms are always worse because they factor in PMS when naming them I think

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Major Developments on Rita and Katrina

Friday September 23, 2005 6:01 PM

Associated Press

Major developments in the progress of Hurricane Rita and the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina:

- Rita churned toward the Texas and Louisiana coasts early Friday, packing maximum sustained winds of 135 mph. Rita was expected to make landfall Saturday morning, with forecasters warning of a possible 15- to 20-foot storm surge.

- Steady rain in New Orleans breached a patched levee in the low-lying Ninth Ward. Water was waist-deep and rising in some areas.

- A bus carrying elderly evacuees near Dallas caught fire, killing as many as 24 people. The bus was rocked with explosions, possibly from passengers' oxygen tanks, deputies said.

- Forecasters said Houston and Galveston may avoid a direct hit as Rita veered slightly to the east. Rita now threatens the Beaumont and Port Arthur area about 75 miles east of Houston.

- Nearly 2 million residents were under orders to leave their homes in Texas and Louisiana. An unprecedented flight from the flood-prone Houston area left highways at a near standstill. National Guard trucks provided motorists with gasoline.

- President Bush planned to fly to Texas on Friday to review preparations.

- Louisiana's death toll from Katrina rose to 841 Friday, pushing U.S. total to 1,078.

- House Republicans began an inquiry into the federal response to Katrina; Democrats, who wanted an independent investigation, largely stayed away.

- The Navy moved five ships into the Gulf of Mexico off Florida's coast to follow the storm in and send any supplies needed after Rita.

- Crude-oil prices dropped as traders gauged news that Rita had weakened, suggesting that damage to refinery capacity could be less severe than originally feared.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Seems never ending. Some might question the future of certain areas on this planet

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

no1important said:
A bus carrying elderly evacuees near Dallas caught fire, killing as many as 24 people. The bus was rocked with explosions, possibly from passengers' oxygen tanks, deputies said.

That was a terrible tragedy. Mindboggling something like that happened.

"anything that can go wrong......will go wrong"??? :(

(old man murphy????? :x

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

anything that can go wrong......will go wrong"??? :(

:lol: you forgot the last line to that M-Law.

Anything that can go wrong
Will go wrong
At the worst possible moment[/quote]

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Jo Canadian said:
anything that can go wrong......will go wrong"??? :(

:lol: you forgot the last line to that M-Law.

Anything that can go wrong
Will go wrong
At the worst possible moment
[/quote]

thanks Jo. Was doing "condensed"......( readers digest ) version :wink: The added line does add that panache..... :wink:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Documents Show FEMA Knew Response Was Broken

A teaser:

FEMA realized its response to Hurricane Katrina was "broken" and braced for rioting over woefully low supplies in Mississippi in the days just after the storm, according to new documents released Monday.

The correspondence among Federal Emergency Management Agency officials, provided by a special House committee investigating the government response to the storm, follows the release last week of more than 100,000 documents by Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco. Taken together, the details from both states provide evidence that FEMA was unable to provide fast help at disaster sites — even when the needs were obvious. [/teaser]

Well the truth is out. Terrible a country like America with all its resources could not of done a better job. FEMA sounds pretty dysfunctional. What a disgrace. They let people suffer due to their incompetence. I would say an "investigation" or a public Enquiry" is oin order, to get to the bottom of this and to make sure it does not happen again. But with the 9/11 report out yesterday giving out 5 f's, I am not going to hold my breathe.