stores that assume you are a thief.

coffeekitty

Jul 6, 2009
I had an similar experience at a Source store in a mall. Whenever I go there I'm looking at the computers. The people who work there insist on hovering over me and say things like "I have to stand here while you do that" They know nothing about their product so all they do is make me feel unconfortable. They insist on hovering over me and treating me like a shoplifter. I'm going to buy a computer, but not from them because I expect it to be broken or not what I want because of the incompetent pushy staff. The last time I whent into that store, all I was doing was looking at was their watches and they again treated me like I was a shoplifter. It's mostly their tone of voice and hovering over me. I felt chased out of the store. When I go in there I intend on buying something or just shopping around trying to make a informed choice I feel like I'm being chased out of their because they make me feel so unconfortable. I wonder if I'm the only person they treat like a shoplifter. Sometimes the source is the only place to get certain things so I really feel like contacting their manager, but I figure hiring people like that Id probably be treated like ****. The source was always ****ty, even when they were called Radio Shack. Though back then the staff were indifferent I was even in the store and if I asked them questions they'd be just as imcompetent, So Id just leave and buy it somewere else where I know I'm geting what I want.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I had an unpleasant argument in a Mo>ie video store yesterday when a clerk asked me to leave my backpack at the counter. I told her I would not as my wife's personal effects, charge cards, merchandise, and money were in there. I told her I did'nt appreciate being treated like a common criminal. I'm no kid. She admitted she does not ask for womens' purses unless they are large and I suspect she does not ask at all. They have no signs stating their policy. She told me to leave which I didn't. The wife went in and looked around while I stayed up front with our backpack continuing to argue with the b*tch.
I'm getting tired of this bs. Superstore did the same thing to me and I left my bike jacket and pack with some elderly stranger hoping he was going to watch it.
Quite a contradiction! I should trust them but they do not trust me.
Dosn't this kind of violate basic human rights in this country not to mention "innocent until proven quilty"? Here is a paragraph I took from the act.

" 5. It is a discriminatory practice in the provision of goods, services, facilities or accommodation customarily available to the general public

(a) to deny, or to deny access to, any such good, service, facility or accommodation to any individual, or

(b) to differentiate adversely in relation to any individual,

on a prohibited ground of discrimination."

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/H-6/31435.html#rid-31449

I do sympathize.......but you are adopting the wrong tactic. You are deakling with some poor slob that is probably making minimum wage and is only doing as instructed.....if you want to tear a strip off someone, see the manager.....and they have EVERY right to throw you off private property for ANY reason.....or none at all. Then the conversation ends.

My pet peeve is those buzzers that go off if your purchases were not properly scanned....I ignore the "Please return"..... Ph876ck you, I did nothing wrong, I stood in line for the priviledge of giving you money, now I'm supposed to waste more of my time proving to you I'm NOT a thief because you are incompetent????

I don't think so.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I suffer from 'invisible person syndrome'. It would be ridiculously easy for me to steal from ANY store. No one sees me. No service, no hovering to prevent theft, just NOTHING.

But one thing I found quite funny is when I ended up with a tag in my purse that kept making all the theft alarms go off. If you buzz on the way in, they ignore ignore it when you buzz on the way out too. It would make shoplifting a breeze for a criminally inclined person. lol.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
When I went to our local Superstore yesterday, (you know, where you have to bring your own bags), the nice cashier asked for my bags so that she could bag my groceries....as I left, I pointed out to my daughter that the reason they do that is to check your bags to make sure you're not shoplifting. It's not that they're so eager to pack your groceries.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Some Walmart and ALL COSTCO stores assume that you are crook, when they insist on comparing the contents of your shopping cart to your bill of purchase.

If the annual savings were not so good (our two families use only one membership card) I would say the Heck with them and feel insulted.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
They have to assume that people are crooks because so damn many are though YukonJack. And what I learned from working retail is that you can't tell which one it will be who will try to lift something. It could be the guy in the grubby coveralls who's talking to himself, or it could be the gentleman in the suit with the gold watch on. It could be the nervous person who avoids eye contact, or the calm customer who chats you up for five minutes.

What I find interesting is that more often than not, the people checking my stuff at the door have saved me money when they've caught cashier errors, noticing that something got scanned through twice when I ony have one in my cart. :smile:

sirlorenzo

Electoral Member
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
This exact thing happened to me the other night in Toronto. I went in with a very cute girl who had a back pack on, and demanded she leave it at the door. We just left, didn't even go in.