Stop the seal hunt

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Juan, your thinking leads to gross oversimplifications. According to that train of thought if I support abortion I can' t kiss babies.
And I'd like to see a verification that the cull leads to increased seal numbers. That's like telling me if I spend like a sailor I'll have more in my account. Hey, works for the government!
Hopefully, common sense resides some place in this country. Some of us should plan to visit.
What juan is saying, is that your arguement is moot, as beef is slaughtered in a more gruesome fashion, yet you do not protest that, opinion, and that despite the hunt, their numbers are increasing, fact.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
You've told me a lot of things, Herman. What's your point?
Ummmmm, that numbers alone justify any human exploitation? Is that the nut of it all? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

my point being that you were saying that japan should be stopped from whaling in the same manner that canada should be stopped from hunting seals. My response to that post was to point out that you are being rediculous in assuming that the two situations are the same when they most obviously are not.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Well, CDN, I'm part Missourian. Hey, I think I got the spelling right! This brain is one logical little punter. It don't add up for me. I'd like to see a few different reads on the situation free of special interest or intrusion. I hope the great cod counters at the DFO aren't putting the numbers together. Uno, for the halibut, as usual. Everyone knows they still add with an abacus!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well, CDN, I'm part Missourian. Hey, I think I got the spelling right! This brain is one logical little punter. It don't add up for me. I'd like to see a few different reads on the situation free of special interest or intrusion. I hope the great cod counters at the DFO aren't putting the numbers together. Uno, for the halibut, as usual. Everyone knows they still add with an abacus!
Good luck finding an unbiased source, or one free of percieved prejudice.

You'ld have better luck find that of the AGW vs anti AGW arguement, lmao.

I respect your opinion on the hunt tamarin, I just dislike your image of the east coasters and First Nations involved and the fact that you would want economic sanctions befall them.

You are free to your opinion, but that should be tempered with the respect of others feelings, opinion and lives, that's right, they aren't faceless multi-nationals, these are real people, that would be hurt by the actions you suggest. You should take care to remember that.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Herman, both those situations involve the extension of practice from a day when humans could barely read and most lived in hovels warmed by coal. It is 2007. Never in the planet's history have environmental concerns been given more weight in international circles. Like Iran, that refuses to toe the line on nuclear energy, we refuse to toe the line on environmental policy, as exhibited and approved by our peers.
How's it feel to be in a minority on this one?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
CDN, again, for the small income derived, and for the outlandish notoriety earned, let parliament pay them to stay home. Ottawa has done it time after time with the fishery. Let's do it for the seals. If this is about money, it's a damn small purse we're squabbling over. I say pay 'em.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Herman, both those situations involve the extension of practice from a day when humans could barely read and most lived in hovels warmed by coal. It is 2007. Never in the planet's history have environmental concerns been given more weight in international circles. Like Iran, that refuses to toe the line on nuclear energy, we refuse to toe the line on environmental policy, as exhibited and approved by our peers.
How's it feel to be in a minority on this one?

OK so your argument rests on it being an old practice? we should probably stop eating too just to be sure.

whaling and sealing are totally different things and to be discussed in separate places

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Myth #5: The hunt is unsustainable and is endangering the harp seal population.

Reality: Since the 1960s, environmental groups have been saying the seal hunt is unsustainable. In fact, the harp seal population is healthy and abundant. A 2004 survey estimated the Northwest Atlantic harp seal population at approximately 5.8 million animals, nearly triple what it was in the 1970s.
DFO sets quotas at levels that ensure the health and abundance of seal herds. In no way are seals - and harp seals in particular – an “endangered species”.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Herman, there are intersections and crossroads written all over this one. You're not looking at a map. Time to get one.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Yes, and the DFO set cod quotas too. And despite years of anecdotal protest and scientific questioning of their practices, the governmental organization drove the cod stocks into the seabed. The DFO is not a credible ministry.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Do these seals look "endangered"

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/seal-phoque/Photo/Photo7_e.htm

The fish don't stand a chance.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
[FONT=&quot]So since there are six million seals, then the seals only have to eat 6 times as much fish as Canadians to eat more fish then the entire population of Canada. Given that seals are very fat and there diet consists entirely of fish, it shouldn’t be hard for a seal to eat 6 times as much fish as the average Canadian.[/FONT]

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
[FONT=&quot]So since there are six million seals, then the seals only have to eat 6 times as much fish as Canadians to eat more fish then the entire population of Canada. Given that seals are very fat and there diet consists entirely of fish, it shouldn’t be hard for a seal to eat 6 times as much fish as the average Canadian.[/FONT]

actually s243a, I was surprised to discover that the "seals eat fish so killing seals saves the fish" argument is listed as one of the myths in #juan's link there.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
S2, is that like...how much wood could a woodchuck chuck...?
Even at "six million" this is a small herd when compared to the billions humans comprise. The world community has made a decision to be more environmentally responsible. To a great degree, I agree with that decision.
I can't imagine trying to be an apologist for an activity that in aggregate earns us little but disrespect on the international stage.
This is the century where we must put behind us past practices if we hope to secure biodiversity for the future. Ending the sealhunt is asking little in a pan-global effort to finally get it right.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
actually s243a, I was surprised to discover that the "seals eat fish so killing seals saves the fish" argument is listed as one of the myths in #juan's link there.

I don't think it disputes the fact that seals eat alot of fish. Is there anything else they eat. We can work out how much fish they eat by finding there average metabolism.

"
Myth #4: The Canadian government is allowing sealers to kill thousands of seals to help with the recovery of cod stocks.

Reality: Several factors have contributed to the lack of recovery of Atlantic cod stocks, such as fishing effort, poor growth and physical condition of the fish, and environmental changes.
In addition, there are many uncertainties in the estimates of the amount of fish consumed by seals. The commercial quota is established on sound conservation principles, not an attempt to assist in the recovery of groundfish stocks."