Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
These are a couple I took last week

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
This is what I do with a lot of my free time, photos. Thought I would share some of my stuff. Feel free to post your own photos as well.

Cherry Street Docks, Toronto, Canada.

Frozen Lake Ontario, Toronto harbour.

Lake Ontario, Day time long exposure

Bonfire Long Exposure

That's it for now, will post more later

Wow! Absolutely stunning. You most certainly should continue to develop your skills in photography. You have the "eye" for composition. The colours, content and compostion are stellar. Thank you for sharing. You pay attention to details such as contrast which enhances the photo. So many amatuers think they only need to point the camera at a scene without making prior assessment of the final result of the photo, ergo, most photos are terribly boring. However, yours are brilliant. Keep up the great work.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Wow! Absolutely stunning. You most certainly should continue to develop your skills in photography. You have the "eye" for composition. The colours, content and compostion are stellar. Thank you for sharing. You pay attention to details such as contrast which enhances the photo. So many amatuers think they only need to point the camera at a scene without making prior assessment of the final result of the photo, ergo, most photos are terribly boring. However, yours are brilliant. Keep up the great work.

Thank You, Elder :)

The Humber River-Arch Bridge

The bridge on the River Humber | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

sweetsymphony

May 13, 2011
These are a couple I took last week

That Red-wing black bird brings back horrible memories of the dive bombing attack I got from one last yr biking through the park they don't fool around when it comes to protecting their nests lol. This morning I almost had another incident with the same bird while jogging. Oh the horror. Beautiful Pics though. There's a Swan nesting right at Evans and the Queensway in the Grenadier Pond she's there every year. You may want to take some shots before the grass covers her nest.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I wish I could photograph the swan, but I'm guessing you're referring to Vancouver and that's a ways away from here. There are swans that pass through here every year in mid-April, but there was so much snow that week that I didn't bother adventuring on the rural roads in search of white swans in the snow.

Good to know about the dive bombing red-wing black birds. I obviously got very close to them to get the shots I got. They're calling for mates right now, so they're not aggressive, but I suspect that in a few weeks I should keep my distance. Thanks for the tip.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
So here is my try using tinypic.com.

Between Cox Bay and Chesterman Beach

Sunset over Cox Bay

Surf's up!

Last edited:

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Very nice! I find that water is so difficult to photograph and get it right.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Very nice! I find that water is so difficult to photograph and get it right.
Thanks. If you only knew how many tries it took to get the pics with the waves creating spouts you would laugh. I think it was about 50 tries to get this one pic.

Sunset Point.

This one took about an hour and still didn't get the greatest quality.
Sunset Point from a distance.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Beautiful. I should have lived on the ocean, but I was born on the prairies. I wouldn't laugh about the number of tries to get it right ... I've done it too ... walking along to get the right vantage spot ... the thing is, you know when you got it right. I've stepped thigh deep into ditches filled with water trying to get the right midnight shot ... unable to see the ground, but not really looking either.

Last edited:

sweetsymphony

May 13, 2011
I wish I could photograph the swan, but I'm guessing you're referring to Vancouver and that's a ways away from here. There are swans that pass through here every year in mid-April, but there was so much snow that week that I didn't bother adventuring on the rural roads in search of white swans in the snow.

Good to know about the dive bombing red-wing black birds. I obviously got very close to them to get the shots I got. They're calling for mates right now, so they're not aggressive, but I suspect that in a few weeks I should keep my distance. Thanks for the tip.
ohh I thought the shots were taken by Durka Durka in High Park Toronto. There are hundreds of those red winged birds in that park. The Swan I'm referring to nests right at the end of this pond attached to High Park and it's right next to a busy intersection. Its so odd to see this beautiful white swan nesting right across from the street car stop. I guess she doesn't mind the noise. Oh and just wear a cap next time you snap the black birds haha.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
This is the tunnel that runs underneath Casa Loma, connecting the various buildings. Rather cold, damp and creepy.

Foggy day in the east end of Toronto (Beaches)

Lobby of a medical building in Toronto, I really like the architecture here.

Day time long exposure on a really foggy day in the Beaches, Toronto.

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
This is the tunnel that runs underneath Casa Loma, connecting the various buildings. Rather cold, damp and creepy.

Foggy day in the east end of Toronto (Beaches)

Lobby of a medical building in Toronto, I really like the architecture here.

Day time long exposure on a really foggy day in the Beaches, Toronto.

These types of tunnels used to run under all the older hospitals and mental institutions so that staff did not have to go out into the elements in order to go from one building to another. My sister trained as a Registered nurse in the 1960s. In those days, in Ontario, a young student nurse (and they were always females then and most often teens just out of high school) would be affiliated at St. Thomas Hospital for psychiciatric training. It was the scariest of institutions and the subterran tunnels were very much like this. In the middle of one night sister was travelling from one sector to another whence she came upon a corpse dangling from a pipe. It was one of the male mental patients who had escaped. Had he not killed himself he probably would have killed her. She was raised in a very sheltered household and this was her first experience with any form of violence. At the same institution a large, demented woman grabbed her by the throat and attempted to force her head through the iron window bars as she strangled her. Sister grew up pretty quick. I trained as a Registered Nurse Assistant in the 1960s in IODE hospitals in Windsor Ontario (they are gone now) and we had the same sort of eerie, frightening tunnels to travel throughout. Your photo brings back so many memories. Well done as it readily reveals the stark, damp emptiness. One never knew what was also using the tunnels at any given time. Gosh, gives me the creeps.

The foggy day at the beah shore is absolutely stunning. As a fine artist I would say: "This is a painting". That is the highest praise I can give.

I love the contrast of the flowing/cutting curves and edges of the various geometric patterns fashioned out of metal here. Absolutely beautiful. I would not be able to pass on photographing such a view either.

The final pic is hauntingly beautiful to me. It would not be the same sans the grafitti. You have such an eye and experience with your chosen photographic technology. Well done. You know, anyone could purchase the camera equipment but they would not be able to produce such photos as these without being able to "see". Very special. You could put on a successful gallery show.

johnbriner

Apr 26, 2011
Wonderful photos you have here guys! You all have good eyes for that! I like the all of your shots! Excellent!