Some of my photos

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Awesome pics! The homeless man eating lunch at the Layton tribute is award quality.

I have had a camera with me since I was a teenager but never quite got too far in to the technical side of photograpy.But that didnt stop me from taking thousands and thousands of pictures.With digital cams now i will take ten or more shots on different settings of one thing and usually get a couple keepers.I also love videoing lightning storms and then doing screenshots as it just hits the mountaintops.
Nice pics,some have an eye for this kind of thing and you have it.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
My mom the pilot.This is one of her students as she was an instructor as well as commercial pilot.

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Both excellent photos. On the one [above the pre-emptive peacekeeping] you mentioned it was a longer exposure giving that misty effect. Was that created by the ripples on the water?

The misty-smooth effect is from the long exposure. Water, when captured over a 15-30 second exposure begins to take on a smoother appearance. especially if it is moving.

It's quite easy to do. All you need is a river/lake, tripod & your DSLR. Set the aperture anywhere from F 5.6- 8, and look for a shutter time of 20-30 seconds. Take the shot and voilà you have glassy water.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I passed your page along to a friend of mine who loves photography. Such great shots Durka, as always. Thanks for sharing.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Steam Walkers | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

People walking through a steam vent, Toronto, Canada.

What makes that steam anyway? Is it what I think it is? Poo?

The misty-smooth effect is from the long exposure. Water, when captured over a 15-30 second exposure begins to take on a smoother appearance. especially if it is moving.

It's quite easy to do. All you need is a river/lake, tripod & your DSLR. Set the aperture anywhere from F 5.6- 8, and look for a shutter time of 20-30 seconds. Take the shot and voilà you have glassy water.

I took a crack at it today.

I still need to refine a bit.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Somebody with your talent can sure make this city look a lot different through a lense than the way I 'don't see' it as I whiz through my daily blinkered and close-minded life.

Good job man. The entire Durka_album is worth several looks.

Galadriel

Jun 14, 2009
What absolutely incredible photos - thank you so much for sharing them. I am just a 'happy snaps' person and could never produce anything like these so I really appreciate seeing how it should be done. Also, I am enjoying a glimpse of your beautiful country. When I was a teenager I was engaged to a young Candian guy, from Saskatchewan (apologise if spelling is wrong), and he always spoke of Canada as being one of the most friendly and beautiful places on the planet. If things had worked out I might have seen for myself !