Oct 26, 2009
Six-kilometre-wide iceberg breaks off from Greenland glacier
Associated Press
More from Associated Press
Published:
July 13, 2018
Updated:
July 13, 2018 8:39 AM EDT
In this Thursday, July 12, 2018 photo, a view of an Iceberg, near the village Innarsuit, on the northwestern Greenlandic coast. Karl Petersen / AP
LONDON — An iceberg four miles (six kilometres) wide has broken off from a glacier in eastern Greenland and scientists have captured the dramatic event on video.
New York University professor David Holland, an expert in atmospheric and ocean science, told The Associated Press that “this is the largest event we’ve seen in over a decade in Greenland.”
A June 22 video of the incident was taken by his wife, Denise Holland of NYU’s Environmental Fluid Dynamics Laboratory. They had camped by the Helheim Glacier for weeks to collect data to better project sea level changes due to global warming.
Holland said Wednesday that the time-lapse video, which is speeded up 20 times, shows “3% of the annual ice loss of Greenland occur in 30 minutes.”
“It sounded like rockets going off,” he said, describing it as “a very complex, chaotic, noisy event.”
While the couple is studying Greenland, he said that “the real concern is in Antarctica, where everything is so big the stakes are much higher.”
In northwestern Greenland, another large iceberg has apparently grounded on the sea floor near the village of Innarsuit. Residents with houses near the shore were prepared to evacuate if necessary.

[youtube]7tyfSlnMe8E[/youtube]
http://torontosun.com/news/world/six-kilometre-wide-iceberg-breaks-off-from-greenland-glacier

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
That mean its a growing glacier
:)
so much for global warming eh?

collect data to better project sea level changes due to global warming.
Ah yes, "PROJECT" - because there is NONE to measure NOW.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I think it's funny when advocacy science pushers get all concerned about the Greenland ice sheet disappearing, even though it wasn't even there 2000 years ago.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
climate change deniers do not believe in climate change.

It is their job to say so many times every day.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
climate change deniers do not believe in climate change.

It is their job to say so many times every day.
Quit being such a retard, if you're able to. Nobody here is denying climate change is real. Unfortunately for you, you're dumb enough to believe that climate change can only happen if humans cause it. But that's what uneducated, advocacy science pushers believe.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What's this got to do with "climate change"? It's just an iceberg.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
When you read the article were your lips moving?

I don't understand what the manoeuvrability of my oral commissures has to do with a story about an iceberg which is just an iceberg which has nothing to do with global warming, which doesn't exist.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
white nationalist climate change deniers do not believe in climate change.

it is their job to say so many times every day.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
white nationalist climate change deniers do not believe in climate change.

it is their job to say so many times every day.

Showing me a picture of an iceberg and telling me it's evidence of global warming is the exact equivalent of showing me a picture of a toadstool and telling me it's evidence of fairies.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
A sure sign the Northern Hemisphere is in a cyclical cooling phase. This type of 'calving' is caused when the mass of a glacier grows beyond its ability to maintain its structural integrity. More proof that AGW is a hoax.

Last edited:

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
White nationalist climate change deniers do not believe in climate change.

It is their job to say so many times every day