Sikhs Allowed To Carry Kirpan (knives) To Olympic Events

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I wonder if there is a single politician in this country with the balls to tackle a controversial issue like this?

No. But I don't think there is much of a controversy here, only perhaps in discussion forums. I don't think anybody has filed a lawsuit over this. Or even demanded that they rethink the policy.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I wonder if there is a single politician in this country with the balls to tackle a controversial issue like this?
Dreamer. There probably isn't one. Or at least isn't one that would think it's a worthwhile project.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I remember in grade 9 our librarian who allways wore his kirpan was following behind our school bus,I was in the back seat and flipped him the bird.
Well he came on the bus at one of the stops and grabbed me by the throat and allmost lifted me out of my seat.
He never pulled his Kirpan though and I earned a new found respect for him.:lol:

Sikhs take the kirpan seriously. To them it is not a dagger, but religious icon. It is not a coincidence that there has been no violence involving kirpan (none that has been reproted anyway).

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Like I said, I'd sooner have a Sikh behind me with a kirpan than a RCMP with a taser. Simply because per capita, Sikhs have harmed a lot fewer people (exactly 0, as a matter of fact) by mistake than the cops have.

True, because the Canadian people killed by Sikhs weren't done 'by mistake'.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Like I said, I'd sooner have a Sikh behind me with a kirpan than a RCMP with a taser. Simply because per capita, Sikhs have harmed a lot fewer people (exactly 0, as a matter of fact) by mistake than the cops have.

Because it wasn't the point? Durka missed my point.

but it IS the point Anna. It is exactly the point. I'm honestly not interested in stats here either... I'm interested in 2 things: the assurance of public safety for everyone, and equality for everyone. Those 2 things need to be satisfied first and foremost.

Did you expect politicians to come up with RATIONAL rules? Now there's a concept that's worth a giggle or two; rational pols. lmao

umm I thought that was my point :lol:

lol I follow them when they are convenient or when they make sense.
Ah Ha! I knew it - there’s the Anna we’ve come to know and love! Heh heh :p

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
But that is just the point, so far nobody has been injured by a kirpan. If there have been a few instances of kirpan attacks then your point would be valid. But you can’t restrict religious freedoms by assuming a hypothetical, small risk to somebody.
Uh huh….. so you’d rather be reactive than procative then?

Can kirpan injure somebody, someday? Absolutely. But it is a religious symbol of the Sikhs, their religion mandates that they carry it all the time, there have not been any instances involving the kirpan, they have used it responsibly so far.

Has anybody thought to stop and ask WHY their religion requires them to carry a knife at all times? Is there some other purpose that a small dagger carries that doesn’t somehow relate to something violence related?
(and I’m not talking about the likely hood that a Sikh is required , like a boy scout, to be prepared at all times to whip out an all purpose utility knife to build a lean-to in the wilds of …ermmm.... the Olympics??? )

The fact that no one has been injured by a kirpan is irrelevant. The fact is they are allowed to brandish weapons due to their "religion" while this right is not afforded to everyone else.Equal rights for everyone, correct? Or do we live in a society where religion can dictate exemptions for them selves?
Again, exactly.

SJP really doesn't get it….

… Giving them the benefit of the doubt is not what is offensive here.....what is offensive is allowing one cult to exercise an ancient right, while denying that right to the rest of us.

… and again, exactly!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
If they are allowed to carry the Kirpan, I think we should follow New York City School Board route and require that the knife be secured with adhesive and made impossible to draw.

Kirpan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Students in Ontario are allowed to carry the kirpan. They have instituted policies for safe wearing of kirpan. I am not sure exactly what they are, it wouldn’t surprise me if they are similar to those of New York (actually I think there is only a small sect of Sikhism where minors carry the kirpan, in most of the sects of Sikhism, it is only the adult males who carry the kirpan).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

When it comes to granting religious freedoms, religious liberties, yes. They should be given the benefit of doubt.

Has anybody thought to stop and ask WHY their religion requires them to carry a knife at all times? Is there some other purpose that a small dagger carries that doesn’t somehow relate to something violence related?
(and I’m not talking about the likely hood that a Sikh is required , like a boy scout, to be prepared at all times to whip out an all purpose utility knife to build a lean-to in the wilds of …ermmm.... the Olympics??? )

I am really not sure . Considering that it is a dagger, it wouldn’t’ surprise me if the original purpose was to use it for self defense, or even for attack. However, that is not what their religion says, it is never to be used for attack.

Whatever the original purpose, these days it is strictly ceremonial only. I don’t think any sect of Sikhism has claimed otherwise.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There are some people here that think criminals should have equal rights, and yet some are whining about law-abiding citizens the right to their religious stuff. That's equal for you..

I don't recall anyone saying that criminals should have equal rights, but I do recall one poster upset that criminals 'had rights'.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
If they are allowed to carry the Kirpan, I think we should follow New York City School Board route and require that the knife be secured with adhesive and made impossible to draw.

Kirpan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New York School's as do most in the U.S. have a Zero tolerance for weapons, a nail file, knitting needles, a tiny weensy pen knife are considered weapons. All result in suspension's. These kirpans are glued into the scabbards with glue and cannot be removed under any circumstances.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Well....I guess the general concensus is that Sihks are not welcome in Canada.... what religion will ya's all go after next?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
but it IS the point Anna. It is exactly the point. I'm honestly not interested in stats here either... I'm interested in 2 things: the assurance of public safety for everyone, and equality for everyone. Those 2 things need to be satisfied first and foremost.

umm I thought that was my point :lol:

Ah Ha! I knew it - there’s the Anna we’ve come to know and love! Heh heh :p
Well, thank you. I love you bunch, too.

So it'd be okay for Christians and Buddhists to wear their garottes but not Sikhs to wear their kirpans?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Go on the offensive before anything happens? Isn't that what McCarthy did in the States a while back? lol

Again, exactly.

… and again, exactly!
It's in the link from Wikipedia I posted.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
When it comes to granting religious freedoms, religious liberties, yes. They should be given the benefit of doubt.

I am really not sure . Considering that it is a dagger, it wouldn’t’ surprise me if the original purpose was to use it for self defense, or even for attack. However, that is not what their religion says, it is never to be used for attack.
Doesn't anyone read the link I posted about the kirpan? Yeah, blunder on blindly in your ignorance, see if I care.

Whatever the original purpose, these days it is strictly ceremonial only. I don’t think any sect of Sikhism has claimed otherwise.
NOT ceremonial and NOT entirely. They are MOSTLY symbolic.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well....I guess the general concensus is that Sihks are not welcome in Canada.... what religion will ya's all go after next?
Let's go after the Buddhists and Christians for wearing potentially harmful garottes (prayer beads and pendant crosses).