Should Canada become a World Cop?

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Through many threads here especially regarding Afghanistan and Iraq Canada is accused of being a lapdog, puppet etc to the Americans. At the other end there are those who oppose Canada ever being involved in a UN mission again. So what do we do? Do we start being a "cop" on our own?
As an example: The Sudan is degenerating into another mass murder, do we, Canada, independently jump in and make peace. The Americans don't seem interested, the UN is busy defining just what is going on, why not take the initiative, or do we sit back and watch like Rwanda? How about a coalition of "middle powers"?

The Gunslinger

Electoral Member
May 12, 2005
Wetaskiwin, AB
I think Canada's a little weak to be a world cop. But I would put tremendous faith in NATO and ANZUS. Most of the west has pretty small militaries, but with increased cooperation, we could wield tremendous clout.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So what would it take for Canada and a coalition of middle powers to go into the Sudan? Would it be under the UN flag or as a seperate coalition? I would like to think we could do good in the world without American participation. I don't find anything wrong in participating with our neighbours, it just might give them a break and raise our own stature.

Canadian with a hyphen

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2006
Calgary
the way you guys talk about the americans reminds me of the two girls in high school , one that is confidant,pretty, gets what she wants when she wants it, also the most popular in school , and one that has few friends, weak and not so popular and never gets anywhere because she focuses on minor things.

a nation cannot succeed if it majors in minor things.

i know i am going to be criticized as pro-american - i don't care.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Re: RE: Should Canada become a World Cop?

Lineman said:
So what would it take for Canada and a coalition of middle powers to go into the Sudan? Would it be under the UN flag or as a seperate coalition? I would like to think we could do good in the world without American participation. I don't find anything wrong in participating with our neighbours, it just might give them a break and raise our own stature.

Sounds like a great idea in theory, but I can't help but imagine a bunch of different coalitions all out trying to protect their interests in other countries until of course, the pissing contests between coalitions start up...
on the other hand, it might be interesting to see what would happen if a coalition decided that a country needed help on humanitarian grounds, but the US or another superpower had economical interests in keeping the status quo...

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Thanks Zan
This is the direction I kinda wanted to take this discussion. Focus on the middle powers and them being more independent in their interests. I don't want this to be anti-American, just pro Canada. Theres talk of doing more on the world stage but I think we need to take the lead in areas like the Sudan. Do we always have to wait and see before we act?

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB

Lineman said:
Do we always have to wait and see before we act?

I don't know, Lineman... is the world ready to step up and empower themselves without waiting for the nod of approval from a superpower? I think there's still a fairly strong mindset that no coalition will have any lasting effect - or teeth for that matter - without the backing of a superpower (and ultimatly, backing = money & resources = calling the shots) ... and how will other already established entities receive such a coalition? Would it enhance or hinder their efforts... lots and lots of opportunity for complications and wheel spinning - but still a great idea - I'd love to see how someone could propose something feasible... has this ever been tried before?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Lineman said:

I see nothing wrong with that. But again, as long as it's always done within the scope of international law.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm thinking leaving out the "top ten", US, Russia, China, France, UK etc. Too many international political and economic interests. Also most were heavily involved in the cold war and haven't quite seemed to have outgrown that mentality yet. Still not trusting their new "alliances". Middle powers seem a lot more comfortable in the new post cold war world. Not so Globally oriented in their want of influence. Australia, Canada, South Africa, Brazil and others are more regionally oriented. Could give them a better perspective of regional wars, famines, etc. I can't be sure but I think the early years of UN peacekeeping/peacemaking middle powers carried a much larger share of the load.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Your aim is a little off C-, I voted conservative. Just because I'm interested in ideas that don't follow strict right wing politics doesn't mean I've strayed to the left. Pro Canada doesn't mean pro Liberal or Anti-American. It means we're mature enough to do things on our own. And I do agree,
"Yepee for Harper!"

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
No comfortable Western democracy will ever shed its
sons and daughters' blood to police the world, except
for rebel America.

The rest of the Western World is too self centered
about losing its own entitlements and earnings to
shed blood and guts on anything but its own comfort.

They'll wax moralistic on Dafur but not ever take
the leadership and the guts to do it.

They'd be surprised and honored by America if any
other country did so.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Maybe it's time to grow up and shed some of those comforts...Sudan may not be doable with its geographic location and the assets available to middle powers who collectively could not match the National guard of some states, but how about Haiti, Sri Lanka etc.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

Canadian with a hyphen said:
the way you guys talk about the americans reminds me of the two girls in high school , one that is confidant,pretty, gets what she wants when she wants it, also the most popular in school , and one that has few friends, weak and not so popular and never gets anywhere because she focuses on minor things.

a nation cannot succeed if it majors in minor things.

i know i am going to be criticized as pro-american - i don't care.

power to you, this has been my message since day one

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

jimmoyer said:
No comfortable Western democracy will ever shed its
sons and daughters' blood to police the world, except
for rebel America.

The rest of the Western World is too self centered
about losing its own entitlements and earnings to
shed blood and guts on anything but its own comfort.

They'll wax moralistic on Dafur but not ever take
the leadership and the guts to do it.

They'd be surprised and honored by America if any
other country did so.

damnit jim we always on the same page......

First off Canada can barely shore up enough support for a fully sanctioned mission in Afghanistan.....do you think such a public would be able to handle Canada leading middlepowers? Canada is a much too passive country, whos military prestige has been lost and forgotten by the new generations. After all a vast number of Canadians define themselves as "not American" until the country matures beyond that it will never be strong enough for roles such as is being suggested on this thread.