Shooting in Downtown Toronto......Happy Boxing Day!

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Shooting in Downtown Toronto......Happy Boxing Day!

the caracal kid said:
heh.... happy new year ocean!

how about the potential of proactive action?

a keystone to the measurement of a society is in its treatement of its citizens, its enemys, the environment. (life in general)

people ARE being too reactionary. revenge is a staple of the small mind. where was all the outcry when the symptoms were first showing? That is a serious question, for how easy it is to turn a blind eye when it does not affect you. How easy is it to just "dispose" of the "undesirable". Be careful the path taken.

I think I would rather have people REACT with vocal vigor when something like this happens and vocalize their opinions .....than become so conditioned to these "events" that they barely raise an eyebrow. The latter society type is a lot more scary. (IMHO)

Idealism is one thing.......but it requires a dose of realism to make it work in the real world. Tell ya, would rather have them "sent off" to a cold zone where they are safe and society is safe from them........than do something really stupid like the death penalty. No reason that the arctic prison concept cannot be a viable and effective system. It is the location that is attractive......and these can be built with state of the art equipment etc. Would suggest that the staff be rotated every six months or so.......to keep things fresh and prevent complacency...

In principle.........I would agree with your observations../statements.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
we don't have people reacting with vigor, we have people reacting with vengence.

be very wary of those things removed from the public's eye, for it is in those things you will first see the birth of that which you most dispise.

One of the problems with prisons the way they are is that rather than lead to reform, they lead to reinforcement.

We agree on the death penalty, but is it any less stupid to commit a person to a path such as society does now?

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

LindzyRae said:
the caracal kid said:
oh boy....

it really is a reflection on society how it handles issues. here we see the old "ship it off" attitude seen in other areas such as waste management. The numbing idea that if you move it far enough away it doesn't really exist. Just think of what could be done with all those prisoners. What would it matter to you? They are no longer around you, so you can forget about them. Or perhaps you would care. Would you consider the gains to society as justification for various treatments? Since hypothermia has been raised aready, do you know where much of the original data on hypothermia in humans came from?

the old "that will teach them" attitude is a very dangerous attutude to take, for it makes you the same as that which you condem while you preach of your loftier ideals and civilized ways.

give me a break.

Have you ever lost someone to a horrible crime? I assure you it's not a plesent experiance. I am not talking about torture, and the idea of it being a rehabilitation facility would be good. But the prisoners there would all be people who have commited horrible crimes. The punishment should be suitable.

Absolutely, LindzyRae. When crimes of this nature occur, we need to comfort the family members of the victims, not the criminal. The first and foremost priority is JUSTICE FOR THE VICTIMS FAMILY MEMBERS. That is why I support capital punishment.

We need to get away from a society that caters to criminals.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
justice is dependent on the level of awareness of society.

nascar, perhaps what you really mean is that you don't want a society that caters to certian types of criminals. those "criminals" you prefer to refer to as "them" compared to those criminals that you would refer to as "us".

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
missile said:
Commiting a crime with any firearm should be automatic hard time-say 20 years without parole and new prisons should be built in the sub Arctic to cool off these prisoners.

Build a prison on Hans Island, that would kill two birds with one stone :D

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

the caracal kid said:
justice is dependent on the level of awareness of society.

nascar, perhaps what you really mean is that you don't want a society that caters to certian types of criminals. those "criminals" you prefer to refer to as "them" compared to those criminals that you would refer to as "us".

Certainly, we would apply capital punishment to certain types of criminals. We won't execute someone convicted of fraud, however someone the likes of Charles Manson should have been put to death ages ago.

LindzyRae

Nominee Member
Jan 1, 2006
Sault Ste. Marie
Although I am not a supporter of the death sentance, I think the government dose need to toughen up. Such as with Homolka, she never should have been allowed out after what she took part in. Or like Manson, who actually up for parol again in '07! Granted nobody in their right mind (or anything resembling a mind) would release that madman but still, a creature like that should never be allowed out no matter what!
As I've said befor, I am strongly on favour of tougher punishment for criminals who knowingly and willingly take a life(ie. shooting someone, or driving under the infulance). Accidents can and do happen though, and in those cases I'd understand the person getting mild (for the situation) punishment if what killed the victim was human error ( fault due to human error and preventable). Normally in situationd like that the person responsible is punishing themselves worse than anything any prison could.

Also, I fully admit I am quite opinionated, however I am not closed off to listening to other points of view and changing my mind if I come to the conclusion that the other point of view is fitting. :)

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Stark differences application of similar laws.

Manson was not confirmed to have participated in anything himself. In Canada he would have been free with a good Canadian lawyer representing him.