Oct 26, 2009
10/3 podcast: Barry and Honey Sherman killing one year on
Postmedia News
Published:
January 3, 2019
Updated:
January 3, 2019 1:26 PM EST
Barry and Honey Sherman.United Jewish Appeal
December marked one year since the slayings of billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman, who were found dead in their North Toronto Mansion on Dec. 15, 2017.
And despite a lot of interest in this case from coast to coast, it seems like there has been little movement on the investigation.
We look back at the killings, what may have stalled the investigation, and where police are at in their effort to catch those responsible.
Dave is joined by Toronto Sun columnist Joe Warmington.
Subscribe to our podcast from your mobile device from Apple podcasts, Google Play , or Stitcher.
http://torontosun.com/news/10-3-podcast-barry-and-honey-sherman-killing-one-year-on

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Sherman family seeking permission to tear down murdered couple's home
Bryan Passifiume
Published:
March 7, 2019
Updated:
March 7, 2019 5:55 PM EST
Police outside the home of Barry and Honey Sherman on Old Colony Rd. in North York on Friday, Dec. 15, 2017.Dave Abel / Toronto Sun
Bad memories and the enduring stigma of one of Toronto’s most notorious murders.
Those were the reasons provided in an application for a demolition permit filed last month for 50 Old Colony Rd. — the North York home of murdered couple Barry and Honey Sherman.
“The house has been vacant for the past year,” read a letter attached to the demolition request, submitted Feb 14. 2019 to the North York community council.
“Along with the bad memories and a stigma attached due to the incident that took place, it is the family’s desire to level the house, clean up the site, fill in the pool and put the lot up for sale.”
Council will consider the application at their March 19 meeting.
Story continues below
Honey and Barry Sherman were murdered Dec. 15 in their York Mills mansion. POSTMEDIA Postmedia file
Found dead by a real estate agent at their home’s basement pool on the morning of Dec. 15, 2017, the Shermans’ murder remains unsolved.
Last October, the family offered a $10- million reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution whoever murdered the billionaire couple, well-known for their philanthropy — donating tens of millions of dollars to a number of good causes.
Barry Sherman, 75, founded generic drug maker Apotex while Honey, 70, was well-known in philanthropic and social circles.
The letter — submitted by a representative of Toronto construction and design firm, RKS Building Group — says plans to demolish the home has the blessing of Ward 15 Don Valley West councillor Jaye Robinson.
“No one will purchase the home as it presently stands,” the letter reads.
“I hope this process will be quick and their wishes fulfilled.”
The 12,000-sq.-ft. mansion, near Bayview Ave. and Hwy. 401 was for sale at the time of their death.
Listed at $6.9 million on Nov. 27 2017, the listing was suspended four days after the couple was found dead and was never put back on the market, according to real estate records.
bpassifiume@postmedia.com
On Twitter: @bryanpassifiume
http://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...permission-to-tear-down-murdered-couples-home

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Sherman family gets OK to demolish murder mansion
Kevin Connor
Published:
March 19, 2019
Updated:
March 19, 2019 7:19 PM EDT
Police tape surrounds the home of billionaire Barry Sherman on Saturday, Dec. 17 2017, in Toronto. Sherman and his wife were found dead in the north Toronto mansion on Friday, Dec. 16. Robert Gillies / AP
The Sherman family has been given approval to demolish the North York mansion where billionaire couple Barry and Honey Sherman were found murdered.
North York Community Council gave the OK Tuesday to tear down the Old Colony Rd. home where the Shermans’ bodies were found in the pool area by a real estate agent in December 2017.
A year later, Sherman legacy endures, and so does hunt for killer
$10M questions in billionaire couple’s slaying
In the letter of application, the family said the home has bad memories and likely wouldn’t sell as is.
“The house has been vacant for the past year. Along with the bad memories and a stigma attached due to the incident that took place,” the letter said.
“It is the family’s desire to level the house, clean up the site, fill in the pool and put the lot up for sale. It pains them to have it sit there.”
Story continues below
This advertisement has not loaded yet,
but your article continues below.
A family representative said it would take a month to tear down the home and they agreed to landscape the lot with sod.
The application was approved subject to conditions, Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong said, such as fencing off the site.
Once the permit has been issued, the home can be demolished, although there has been no date set.
No arrests have been made in the murders.
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/sherman-family-gets-ok-to-demolish-murder-mansion

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Unsealing of Sherman estate files heading to top court
Canadian Press
Published:
October 31, 2019
Updated:
October 31, 2019 10:39 AM EDT
Honey, left, and Barry Sherman. Postmedia
OTTAWA — The Supreme Court of Canada will review an appeal court’s decision to unseal files related to the estates of wealthy Toronto couple Barry and Honey Sherman, who were found murdered two years ago.
In June 2018, a judge made orders sealing the files, which concern the appointment of estate trustees and would ordinarily be available for public inspection under the open court principle.
The sealing order stemmed from the notion that individuals named as beneficiaries or trustees of the estates would be at risk of harm because the Shermans were murdered.
Soon after, a court denied Toronto Star reporter Kevin Donovan access to the files.
The Ontario Court of Appeal overturned the decision, saying the idea trustees would be at risk amounted to speculation and provided no basis for a sealing order.
As usual, the Supreme Court gave no reason for agreeing to hear the case.
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/unsealing-of-sherman-estate-files-heading-to-top-court

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
WARMINGTON: Slain billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman fondly remembered
Joe Warmington
Published:
December 13, 2019
Updated:
December 13, 2019 5:29 PM EST
As the sun set, Heather Gilbert noticed something different inside her Old Colony Road home.
“We had the sun shining right into our eyes,” she said. “In 16 years that had never happened.”
Seems the home next door at 50 Old Colony Rd. was no longer blocking the sun. The house in which billionaires Honey and Barry Sherman were murdered was demolished in May.
“It brought it all back,” Gilbert said. “It’s not really the loss of the house as much as the loss of Honey and Barry.”
The mansion on Old Colony Rd. where Barry and Honey Sherman were found slain on Dec. 15, 2017, was demolished in May 2019. (Joe Warmington/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network)
Two years post their murders, Gilbert is as suspicious as she was when she and her husband Eddie drove home past the police cars and fire trucks that had taken over her street on Dec. 15, 2017.
“I knew something was very wrong. Eddie said not to jump to conclusions that maybe somebody fell. But I felt it was going to be bad,” she said.
She was right.
“I feel for their children,” Gilbert said.
Now, as the mystery lingers, she wants the legacy of the Shermans to be more than famous murder victims.
She described the couple’s legacy of philanthropy toward Jewish and local charities in the tens of millions to be “unprecedented.”
The home of the late Barry and Honey Sherman at 50 Old Colony Road at North York on Thursday, Feb. 1, 2018. Ernest Doroszuk/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network)
But Heather also talked of the Shermans’ generosity to friends.
“Honey brought a gift over when we first moved in,” said Gilbert. “And she was always inviting us to their house or events.”
When the Shermans brought in an ice cream truck for a family party that every kid on the street got a cone from “we were there too.”
Other times Honey would drop by and say “Barry has a box at the Raptor game and you are coming with us.”
Her favourite story occurred the year before the nightmare.
“Eddie and I were at a golf course in Florida when Honey come up from behind me and said, ‘Funny I should see my neighbour in Florida,’” Gilbert recalled. “She then invited us to her and Barry’s planned New Year’s Eve dinner.”
Heather Gilbert has fond memories of her neighbours, Barry and Honey Sherman, who were found slain in their Old Collony Rd. mansion on Dec. 15, 2017. (Joe Warmington/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network)
But it didn’t quite turn out the way she had hoped.
“The restaurant was closed and they did not notify Honey,” remembered Gilbert. “She said, ‘No big deal, we will just all go to my favourite restaurant.’”
They “ended up spending New Years Eve eating pizza and wings” at a “nearby strip mall.”
There was no putting on airs for these billionaires who were both philanthropic and frugal.
“It was a fabulous night,” Gilbert said.
WARMINGTON: Cops' probe into 2017 Sherman murders 'very active'
WARMINGTON: Barry and Honey Sherman's legacy endures, so does hunt for their killer a year later
There was no talk of Apotex or the world’s problems.
“It was so much fun. There was a lot of laughing,” Gilbert said. “Honey and Barry were so laid back and enjoying it.”
Close family friend, Senator Linda Frum, said this story captures Honey and Barry well. That, she said, would have been a perfect night for Honey, who would have preferred pizza and wings anyway.
“I miss my friends,” said Frum. “They were wonderful.”
On the second anniversary of their slayings, friends believe how they lived, and not how they died, is how the Shermans should be remembered.
“They were very good people who were very kind to us,” said Gilbert.
If the sun shines on anything, she said, it should be on “their giving nature” because “there was no end to what they would give.”
jwarmington@postmedia.com
http://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...res-barry-and-honey-sherman-fondly-remembered

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Joe Warmington
Published:
December 13, 2019
Updated:
December 13, 2019 5:41 PM EST
Two years have passed since the strange murders of Honey and Barry Sherman, but for Toronto Police this is no cold case.
“It’s an open and very active investigation,” Insp. Hank Idsinga, head of Homicide, said of the slayings of the Apotex founder and his famous for charitable fundraising wife.
And not just an open investigation. Or active.
“Very active.”
“This is great news,” said a person close to the billionaire couple’s children. “This is the first time we have heard that.”
Toronto Police homicide Insp. Hank Idsinga speaks about the 2019 homicide rate, the Sherman family case and Danforth murders on Thursday, April 4, 2019. (Jack Boland/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network)
Senator Linda Frum said family members “have confidence in police” and long for the day “there is a resolution” and “justice.”
A “very active” probe is certainly a change from two years ago when the original belief was that the scene inside the couple’s Old Colony Rd. mansion was a murder-suicide.
Neighbour and friend Heather Gilbert never believed it.
“No way,” she said. “They had a very good relationship and displayed no tension with each other. They loved each other.”
She saw this in the 14 years she lived next door.
When Det.-Sgt. Sue Gomes addressed the media 42 days after the grisly discovery she was on side that this was murder.
Toronto Police Homicide Det.-Sgt. Susan Gomes on Friday, Jan. 26, 2018. (Dave Abel/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network)
“We believe we have sufficient evidence to describe this as a double homicide and that both were targeted,” she told the media at the time.
Honey and Barry Sherman were found inside the basement pool area in a seated position, hands behind their backs in winter coats, with belts around their necks that were attached to the pool’s railing.
Sherman family lawyer Brian Greenspan has claimed the Shermans’ bodies were “staged.”
Police and the family’s private investigation team, led by retired homicide detective Tom Klatt, have been keeping their cards close.
But they are all still on this — and the family’s $10-million reward is still available.
“This was a hit,” said an insider.
The why, how and who are unresolved questions?
WARMINGTON: $10 million questions in unsolved slayings of billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman
WARMINGTON: Tips on Sherman murders pouring in
That someone could get into the home, kill the couple and escape undetected has neighbour Heather Gilbert hearkening back to something that occurred at the house prior to the double murder.
“I thought right away of the skylight on the roof of that house,” she said. “Somebody got on the roof and opened the skylight to lower themselves into their house to steal Honey’s jewelry.”
After learning of the robbery from police, Gilbert said, “I was worried because we also have skylights.”
It was later determined it was believed to be an international ring of robbers working the street. For Gilbert it showed a potential entry and escape route.
“I believe there is something big behind this,” she said.
Gilbert also hopes investigators are looking at the case of Dean Lorich — a doctor famous for successfully operating on U2 superstar Bono after a cycling accident — who knew Barry Sherman and reportedly “stabbed himself” in his Manhattan apartment Dec. 10, 2017.
It was “five days before” the Shermans’ bodies were found, she pointed out.
Is a link possible between a New York City doctors strange “suicide” that looks more like a murder and the weird slaying of the Shermans that was also staged as a potential suicide – asks a friend of the billionaires? Both tried to help the people of Haiti. Now they are all dead pic.twitter.com/49Zg7oTwiv
— Joe Warmington (@joe_warmington) December 13, 2019
“They called it a suicide because he had a knife in his chest. I never believed it. He was 50 years old (Lorich was actually 54) and was babysitting his 11-year-old daughter,” Gilbert said. “Would he pick that time to commit suicide? He knew Barry. They were together (on) Haiti doing work. Barry would send bills and the doctor would devote his time.”
Conspiracy theory? Wishful thinking? Coincidence?
Police have not responded to questions on the skylight or Lorich case. But a source close to the Sherman family called Gilbert’s revelations “interesting.”
Although Barry Sherman and Lorich did humanitarian work together in Haiti, a personal connection between the two has not been verified.
But someone close to the family said this is the kind of lead this “very active” investigation should look into.
Two years may have passed since Honey and Barry Sherman were murdered, but this is an investigation that is very much hot.
http://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/1205597133354631168
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-cops-probe-into-2017-sherman-murders-very-active

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Joe Warmington
Published:
December 13, 2019
Updated:
December 13, 2019 5:29 PM EST
As the sun set, Heather Gilbert noticed something different inside her Old Colony Road home.
“We had the sun shining right into our eyes,” she said. “In 16 years that had never happened.”
Seems the home next door at 50 Old Colony Rd. was no longer blocking the sun. The house in which billionaires Honey and Barry Sherman were murdered was demolished in May.
“It brought it all back,” Gilbert said. “It’s not really the loss of the house as much as the loss of Honey and Barry.”
The mansion on Old Colony Rd. where Barry and Honey Sherman were found slain on Dec. 15, 2017, was demolished in May 2019. (Joe Warmington/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network)
Two years post their murders, Gilbert is as suspicious as she was when she and her husband Eddie drove home past the police cars and fire trucks that had taken over her street on Dec. 15, 2017.
“I knew something was very wrong. Eddie said not to jump to conclusions that maybe somebody fell. But I felt it was going to be bad,” she said.
She was right.
“I feel for their children,” Gilbert said.
Now, as the mystery lingers, she wants the legacy of the Shermans to be more than famous murder victims.
She described the couple’s legacy of philanthropy toward Jewish and local charities in the tens of millions to be “unprecedented.”
The home of the late Barry and Honey Sherman at 50 Old Colony Road at North York on Thursday, Feb. 1, 2018. Ernest Doroszuk/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network)
But Heather also talked of the Shermans’ generosity to friends.
“Honey brought a gift over when we first moved in,” said Gilbert. “And she was always inviting us to their house or events.”
When the Shermans brought in an ice cream truck for a family party that every kid on the street got a cone from “we were there too.”
Other times Honey would drop by and say “Barry has a box at the Raptor game and you are coming with us.”
Her favourite story occurred the year before the nightmare.
“Eddie and I were at a golf course in Florida when Honey come up from behind me and said, ‘Funny I should see my neighbour in Florida,’” Gilbert recalled. “She then invited us to her and Barry’s planned New Year’s Eve dinner.”
Heather Gilbert has fond memories of her neighbours, Barry and Honey Sherman, who were found slain in their Old Collony Rd. mansion on Dec. 15, 2017. (Joe Warmington/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network)
But it didn’t quite turn out the way she had hoped.
“The restaurant was closed and they did not notify Honey,” remembered Gilbert. “She said, ‘No big deal, we will just all go to my favourite restaurant.’”
They “ended up spending New Years Eve eating pizza and wings” at a “nearby strip mall.”
There was no putting on airs for these billionaires who were both philanthropic and frugal.
“It was a fabulous night,” Gilbert said.
WARMINGTON: Barry and Honey Sherman's legacy endures, so does hunt for their killer a year later
There was no talk of Apotex or the world’s problems.
“It was so much fun. There was a lot of laughing,” Gilbert said. “Honey and Barry were so laid back and enjoying it.”
Close family friend, Senator Linda Frum, said this story captures Honey and Barry well. That, she said, would have been a perfect night for Honey, who would have preferred pizza and wings anyway.
“I miss my friends,” said Frum. “They were wonderful.”
On the second anniversary of their slayings, friends believe how they lived, and not how they died, is how the Shermans should be remembered.
“They were very good people who were very kind to us,” said Gilbert.
If the sun shines on anything, she said, it should be on “their giving nature” because “there was no end to what they would give.”
http://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...res-barry-and-honey-sherman-fondly-remembered

An excellent post!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You're conflating the Xmas season with dead jooz-an odd choice of metaphor.

And again there's no reason for anyone to care.

I understand there are countless people, possibly hundreds who have benefitted from their generosity. Gratitude alone should be a good reason to care! Is there something negative about Jews?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I dunno - george soros wrecked the british pound and ADMITTEDLY put his buddies on hitlar's trains...
;)
what an angel.

Maybe you ought to ask a Palestinian, if there are any left.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
You better find a quote of me being that or you are gonna have a war on your hands ya lyin little racist ****tard.

So you are a ZIONIST propagandist and a Palestinian hater are ya?

Good to know.

The george soros admissions have been posted many times and show me how soros didn't wreck the pound.
But you can't...'cause all that is actually true.

Oh look ya lyin freak: On 60 minutes and in his own words
( including his actual age at he time).
GEORGE SOROS ON 60 MINUTES

Justin Trudeau, George Soros and the Corporate destruction of the Canadian Nation State
https://medium.com/@williamray/just...ion-of-the-canadian-nation-state-55c13d6938ed

There you go, ya Canada hating NAZI luvin' little apologist Goof.
( wanna get into his funding of NEONAZIs in Ukraine too?)

Boi, I'll bet you would defend mossad zionists like wiener and epstien and schiff too wouldn't you?

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Show me a quote ya FAKENEWS CANADA HATING chicken shit b*tch.

Pretty tough to be a holocaust denier while posting interviews where george soros admits to putting Jews on the train to the holocaust isn't it there dum dum?

But you Palestinian haters always seem to be lying about something.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Calm down.

F*ck you tard
:)

Where is that quote ya little nazi ?

Can't answer the questions I posed you? LOL, you are a sad little b*tch.

So I am Back to arguing with Curious Cdn again. Just like the good ol days.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Show me a quote ya FAKENEWS CANADA HATING chicken shit b*tch.

Pretty tough to be a holocaust denier while posting interviews where george soros admits to putting Jews on the train to the holocaust isn't it there dum dum?

But you Palestinian haters always seem to be lying about something.

I'd be interested in seeing a link showing George Soros putting Jews on a train to the Holocaust.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I dunno - george soros wrecked the british pound and ADMITTEDLY put his buddies on hitlar's trains...
;)
what an angel.

Maybe you ought to ask a Palestinian, if there are any left.

I thought it was the stock market that "wrecked" the British Pound.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
WARMINGTON: 'Window was left open' as Sherman home painted
Joe Warmington
Published:
December 17, 2019
Updated:
December 17, 2019 8:33 AM EST
Since it was a “targeted” double homicide, it was logical that Toronto Police interviewed some house painters who were in the Sherman mansion sometime in the day before the heinous slayings.
Not because the I Heard You Paint Houses book, turned into the hitman movie The Irishman, could be a metaphor for this bizarre mystery — but because actual painters were working in the home at 150 Old Colony Rd.
And that a window was left open after they left.
Toronto Police Homicide detectives have interviewed many people since the disturbing discovery of murdered Honey and Barry Sherman Dec. 15, 2017.
The number is at 243.
Police have also sent 150 items to the Centre of Forensic Science and collected many hours of security video.
They are not done.
“We are still asking for help,” Insp. Hank Idsinga told a packed media gallery Monday.
“The family and the police urge anyone who has reliable information regarding the murders, no matter how small or unimportant that information may seem, to please contact the police through their usual channels.”
He also said the “private investigation” by former TPS homicide detective Tommy Klatt and his team has been “completed,” and all tips should now be sent to shermantips@torontopolice.on.ca.
As Idsinga said, someone may think something they know is not a big deal — but it could be.
“We have been given a lot of great information from a lot of sources,” said Idsinga.
He wants more.
Small details — like there were professional painters in that house or that a window was open — only help.
Barry and Honey Sherman were found slain in their Old Colony Rd. mansion on Dec. 15, 2017.
It puts more people in that house around the time, which includes cleaning professionals and real estate people.
It’s not saying they are suspects, but those who can assist police with information few others could.
“The window was left open to clear the smell of the paint from the area,” explained a family friend.
Could that detail show an entry or exit point in a home showing no forced entry?
Could information that there was also a door “never locked” mean there was another entrance or exit possibility?
New details like that offer a glimpse into a challenging police investigation.
It’s one Toronto’s biggest ever.
And now there’s just one.
For two years there had been two investigations.
SHERMAN MURDERS: Toronto cops, family make statement
The family, through famed lawyer Brian Greenspan, had funded a second probe by Klatt who brought in top investigators and forensics people.
Their criticisms created tension with police, but hundreds of tips and pieces of evidence were passed over as well.
The private team also intended to light a fire under the police, and did just that.
The most important thing Idsinga has done is utilize his experience and skills to bridge the relationship with the family and police, which had soured since day one when it was announced there was no risk to neighbours and it was looking like a murder-suicide.
Six weeks later, police changed their minds but it has taken two years for the trust to rebuild with the four Sherman children.
Idsinga made that happen — as he did with the gay community in the originally troubled investigation into the McArthur serial murder case.
Idsinga turned that around and made an arrest.
He’s hoping for a repeat, and referenced how the Glen Davis murder took four years to solve as an example to show that two years is nothing to fear.
Wealthy philanthropist Davis was murdered by a hitman hired by godson Marshall Ross.
Idsinga didn’t suggest similarities other than it shows homicide won’t quit until they made their collar.
Dogged determination is his greatest quality, and for that reason the Sherman family has “confidence” in police they did not originally have.
Some credit must also be given to Klatt and Greenspan, who have been fierce on this as well and will keep their eyes peeled.
“I am still involved as an adviser, consultant and spokesperson,” said Greenspan.
Klatt is just a phone call away.
But going forward, the quest for justice for Honey and Barry Sherman is in the hands of Insp. Hank Idsinga, Det. Sgt. Brandon Price, and Detectives Kristy Devine and Dennis Yim.
They will determine who painted this house.
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-police-renew-appeal-for-info-on-sherman-murders