Saskatchewan RCMP say 10 dead, 15 hospitalized after stabbings, suspects still at large

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know, right? When I think of the 22 people rolling-pinned to death in Uvalde, makes me wonder "Why don't we just sell semi-auto rifles with 30-round clips at the grocery store?"
Have you ever tried to buy one of these 30-round clips at the grocery store or anywhere else north of the 49th parallel? Or a 20-round clip? Some exceptions for ten round clips for handguns in Canada if you could still get a handgun in Canada, but not for rifles.

Reactions: Taxslave2

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Have you ever tried to buy one of these 30-round clips at the grocery store or anywhere else north of the 49th parallel? Or a 20-round clip? Some exceptions for ten round clips for handguns in Canada if you could still get a handgun in Canada, but not for rifles.
Hes is also unaware that several States banned 30 round clips and went with 5 like use but you can still get full strength effexor.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yep, Maryland has banned clips of more than 10 rounds. Means I have to drive six whole miles (10km) to get to a Virginia gun shop where I buy 30 and 50 round clips, legal as church on Sunday.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yep, Maryland has banned clips of more than 10 rounds. Means I have to drive six whole miles (10km) to get to a Virginia gun shop where I buy 30 and 50 round clips, legal as church on Sunday.
Canada is a max of 5 round clips for rifles, & they frown on them crossing the border into Canada.

So you can’t “buy” larger than 10 round clips in Maryland…but can you still legally “own” the ones you already own or purchase in Virginia. Where you forced to surrender the ones you already owned (?) without compensation under penalty of law?

I know we’re getting away from future potential cutlery legislation in Canada, but I’m just curious.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Canada is a max of 5 round clips for rifles, & they frown on them crossing the border into Canada.

So you can’t “buy” larger than 10 round clips in Maryland…but can you still legally “own” the ones you already own or purchase in Virginia. Where you forced to surrender the ones you already owned (?) without compensation under penalty of law?

I know we’re getting away from future potential cutlery legislation in Canada, but I’m just curious.
It's illegal to "transfer" a high-capacity magazine in Maryland (meaning buy, sell, or give). Maryland has no say over what Virginia does, and decided to stop short of making it illegal to possess high-capacity mags. So if I bring a high-capacity mag into Maryland, the only restriction is I can't sell or give it away within the borders.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Just trying to put some context into more bans…which I’m assuming our current Liberal/NDP gov’t would gladly do if given a chance…to further control more of our lives.

As an aside, I’ve carried a knife for almost 50 years… and have yet to intentionally use it as a weapon. My current one that I’ve carried for more than a decade I chose because it could also be used as a prybar in a pinch, & also hardy enough to be beaten through corded rubber belts with a hammer.
View attachment 21325
I think gun control for sake of politics is a useless endeavor and does little to curb gun violence. We have created a system where if someone breaks into your house, you need to have matching forces of engagement. If he's unarmed, you can't use anything on him except yourself. Personally, I fight to live, and if I gotta do some time to protect my family, I guess I'm gonna do some time.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I think gun control for sake of politics is a useless endeavor and does little to curb gun violence. We have created a system where if someone breaks into your house, you need to have matching forces of engagement. If he's unarmed, you can't use anything on him except yourself. Personally, I fight to live, and if I gotta do some time to protect my family, I guess I'm gonna do some time.
Which is why we have hole creating equipment.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Just trying to put some context into more bans…which I’m assuming our current Liberal/NDP gov’t would gladly do if given a chance…to further control more of our lives.

As an aside, I’ve carried a knife for almost 50 years… and have yet to intentionally use it as a weapon. My current one that I’ve carried for more than a decade I chose because it could also be used as a prybar in a pinch, & also hardy enough to be beaten through corded rubber belts with a hammer.
View attachment 21325
I've carried a drop-point pocket knife since I was 6 or so. Most useful tool in a variety of situations. Never used it as a weapon, but prepared to a couple of times (off the clip, thumb or finger on the lever). What's your point?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've carried a drop-point pocket knife since I was 6 or so. Most useful tool in a variety of situations. Never used it as a weapon, but prepared to a couple of times (off the clip, thumb or finger on the lever). What's your point?
Intent really fucks with your head doesnt it?

Im not afraid of Ron and his knife BUT Id definitely be weary of Ron if he was on SSRIs and joined an online transgender support group if he was packing a knife while ranting aboot bullies at school.

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Much like yourself, would society be safer if you or I was legislated not to carry that tool we’ve each carried since childhood?

(That’s the direction I was going in…)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Much like yourself, would society be safer if you or I was legislated not to carry that tool we’ve each carried since childhood?

(That’s the direction I was going in…)
I question the validity of comparing such a generally useful tool (and the very first tool created by humans with the possible exception of the sharp stick) with a purpose designed killing tool. I'm all in favor of carrying a gun, too, if the individual feels it's warranted, and I do wherever it's legal to do so. My choice is a small, flat, three-inch (7.5 cm) seven-shot 9mm automatic that slips easily into the hip pocket of my pants.

But as a matter of policy, I support limiting the free carriage of guns to low-capacity rifles and shotguns, and licensing carriage of sidearms to cases of demonstrated need.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Dude in the OP used a knife. Discussion leading towards a partial cutlery ban in Canada.

Cool that you have the option to carry for self defence what is already a banned weapon on this side of the border. If it wasn’t, would Miles Sanderson’s bodycount have been lower? I know it’s a “If your Aunt had balls?…” question but throwing it out there.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Dude in the OP used a knife. Discussion leading towards a partial cutlery ban in Canada.

Cool that you have the option to carry for self defence what is already a banned weapon on this side of the border. If it wasn’t, would Miles Sanderson’s bodycount have been lower? I know it’s a “If your Aunt had balls?…” question but throwing it out there.
Once again though....meth is a drug that tinkers with serotonin. Was Anderson and his knife a threat when he had normal serotonin levels?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Many European countries have knife bans. I obey 'em when I'm there.

My position on gun control for the United States:

1. Generally, any adult should have the right to own a firearm unless and until they demonstrate that they can't be trusted with one.

2. Certain firearms are exceptionally dangerous. High-capacity firearms because of the potential for mass slaughter, and sidearms because of their ease of portability and concealment, and therefore use for criminal purposes. These firearms should be restricted.

3. For all firearms, those capable of accepting a detachable box magazine (the "clip") should be outright banned or at least subject to strict "need" and licensing requirements. In other words, only lever-action, pump-action, bolt-action, or semi-auto with a fixed magazine should be included in the "right" to keep n' bear.

4. Sidearms should be similarly restricted. And limited to revolvers except for police/military.

Higher capacity firearms are used mostly for "suppressive fire," i.e., throwing a lot of rounds downrange to force the other guy to keep his head down, rather than with any serious intent to hit him. Not a good idea in a civilian setting. If a bad guy has a long gun capable of 6-10 shots without reloading, or a sidearm capable of 5-8 shots without reloading, that gives his intended victims a chance to flee or turn on him while he's reloading, while still giving the good guy plenty of opportunity of taking out the bad guy. We conquered a continent with lever-actions and revolvers of about 6 rounds capacity, and we won WWII with the M1 Garand, 8-round fixed magazine. In just about any conceivable civilian situation, if you need more than that, you should try throwing the gun, cuz you're a lousy shot, and your strays are as much a danger to the innocent as the bad guy's deliberate shots.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Jury makes four recommendations in Saskatchewan mass killer inquest
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Kelly Geraldine Malone
Published Feb 29, 2024 • Last updated 3 days ago • 3 minute read

SASKATOON — Community members hugged the mother of a mass killer after jurors at a Saskatchewan coroner’s inquest determined he died from an accidental overdose following a high-speed police pursuit.

Myles Sanderson’s family was devastated after he went on a stabbing rampage on the James Smith Cree Nation and in the nearby village of Weldon, said the killer’s uncle Eddie Head.

Eleven people were killed and 17 others injured as Sanderson went door to door attacking people.

Head said his sister and Sanderson’s mother, Beverly Burns, isolated herself and struggled to cope with the destruction caused by her 32-year-old son. But the inquest has brought answers, a sense of relief and a reconnection with people on the First Nation, he said.

“Our community hugged and said to each other we love each other,” Head said Thursday after the inquest closed.

The four-day inquest in Saskatoon heard gripping details about how police captured Sanderson on Sept. 7, 2022, three days after the massacre.

Jurors issued four recommendations for police to improve arrests.

They said the RCMP should have mandatory enhanced driver training, and there should be more training for extraction techniques during takedowns.

Jurors also said Mounties should review their criteria for high-speed chases, and Saskatoon police should establish a dedicated team to arrest people with outstanding warrants. Sanderson was unlawfully at large at the time of the killings, and had gone to the First Nation to sell cocaine.

Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore, the commanding officer for Saskatchewan’s RCMP, said Mounties will review the recommendations.

Blackmore said the inquest helped better the force’s relationship with the First Nation.

“One of the most fulfilling pieces for myself personally has been the interactions with James Smith,” Blackmore said.

Earlier Thursday, a criminal investigative psychologist testified Sanderson didn’t intend to die while being taken into custody.

Matt Logan said Sanderson was still on a mission after the killings. His goal was to harm the mother of his children, Vanessa Burns.

“He didn’t really care one way or another if he lived or died,” said Logan, who is also a former RCMP officer.

The inquest heard Logan reviewed Sanderson’s court records, visited the First Nation and spoke with family members. But he didn’t meet Sanderson, and nobody can be certain what the killer was thinking before he died.

Logan said after Sanderson had been on the run for three days, he pumped himself up with cocaine and went to track down his partner.

He broke into a house and stole a truck. After the homeowner called police, Mounties quickly descended on the area.

Jurors saw video from RCMP dashboard cameras of a high-speed police pursuit with Sanderson driving the wrong direction on Highway 11, a main route for vehicles travelling from the north to Saskatoon.

The chase ended after a Mountie used her vehicle to ram the truck Sanderson was driving. The killer lost control and went into a ditch.

After Sanderson was pulled from the vehicle, he asked how many people he had killed and why officers didn’t shoot him.

Sanderson then began to have seizures and was taken to hospital, where he died. A forensic pathologist testified Sanderson overdosed on cocaine.

Jurors determined the overdose was accidental.

Chief Wally Burns of the James Smith band, one of three that make up the First Nation, said healing has begun for some in the community now that they have answers. His nephew was among those killed.

Burns said he is still pushing for a national inquiry to fully understand how the rampage happened.

For now, he said, it will be important for the community to lean on their ceremonies and cultures.

A separate inquest was held last month that looked at each of the killings. It issued more than two dozen recommendations, including for the RCMP to fully staff specialized teams and to improve the relationship and communication with the First Nation.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Jury makes four recommendations in Saskatchewan mass killer inquest
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Kelly Geraldine Malone
Published Feb 29, 2024 • Last updated 3 days ago • 3 minute read

SASKATOON — Community members hugged the mother of a mass killer after jurors at a Saskatchewan coroner’s inquest determined he died from an accidental overdose following a high-speed police pursuit.

Myles Sanderson’s family was devastated after he went on a stabbing rampage on the James Smith Cree Nation and in the nearby village of Weldon, said the killer’s uncle Eddie Head.

Eleven people were killed and 17 others injured as Sanderson went door to door attacking people.

Head said his sister and Sanderson’s mother, Beverly Burns, isolated herself and struggled to cope with the destruction caused by her 32-year-old son. But the inquest has brought answers, a sense of relief and a reconnection with people on the First Nation, he said.

“Our community hugged and said to each other we love each other,” Head said Thursday after the inquest closed.

The four-day inquest in Saskatoon heard gripping details about how police captured Sanderson on Sept. 7, 2022, three days after the massacre.

Jurors issued four recommendations for police to improve arrests.

They said the RCMP should have mandatory enhanced driver training, and there should be more training for extraction techniques during takedowns.

Jurors also said Mounties should review their criteria for high-speed chases, and Saskatoon police should establish a dedicated team to arrest people with outstanding warrants. Sanderson was unlawfully at large at the time of the killings, and had gone to the First Nation to sell cocaine.

Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore, the commanding officer for Saskatchewan’s RCMP, said Mounties will review the recommendations.

Blackmore said the inquest helped better the force’s relationship with the First Nation.

“One of the most fulfilling pieces for myself personally has been the interactions with James Smith,” Blackmore said.

Earlier Thursday, a criminal investigative psychologist testified Sanderson didn’t intend to die while being taken into custody.

Matt Logan said Sanderson was still on a mission after the killings. His goal was to harm the mother of his children, Vanessa Burns.

“He didn’t really care one way or another if he lived or died,” said Logan, who is also a former RCMP officer.

The inquest heard Logan reviewed Sanderson’s court records, visited the First Nation and spoke with family members. But he didn’t meet Sanderson, and nobody can be certain what the killer was thinking before he died.

Logan said after Sanderson had been on the run for three days, he pumped himself up with cocaine and went to track down his partner.

He broke into a house and stole a truck. After the homeowner called police, Mounties quickly descended on the area.

Jurors saw video from RCMP dashboard cameras of a high-speed police pursuit with Sanderson driving the wrong direction on Highway 11, a main route for vehicles travelling from the north to Saskatoon.

The chase ended after a Mountie used her vehicle to ram the truck Sanderson was driving. The killer lost control and went into a ditch.

After Sanderson was pulled from the vehicle, he asked how many people he had killed and why officers didn’t shoot him.

Sanderson then began to have seizures and was taken to hospital, where he died. A forensic pathologist testified Sanderson overdosed on cocaine.

Jurors determined the overdose was accidental.

Chief Wally Burns of the James Smith band, one of three that make up the First Nation, said healing has begun for some in the community now that they have answers. His nephew was among those killed.

Burns said he is still pushing for a national inquiry to fully understand how the rampage happened.

For now, he said, it will be important for the community to lean on their ceremonies and cultures.

A separate inquest was held last month that looked at each of the killings. It issued more than two dozen recommendations, including for the RCMP to fully staff specialized teams and to improve the relationship and communication with the First Nation.
Why did they change his drug from meth to coke?