Renewables overtake oil

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It was the cheapest power-generation technology at the time.

Times change.

What happened to the armored knight as the invincible master of the battlefield, vulnerable only to another armored knight?

The Welsh longbow and the clothyard arrow, that's what happened. Near a castle called Agincourt in France.

And to add insult to injury, the entire archer corps of Henry V were equipped at less cost than one French knight. When steel's expensive, that's kinda how it goes.
Just imagine what the other side must have been thinking the very first time they laid eyes on the the Welsh longbow. Bet it was a real WTF moment. 8O:lol:

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"Planet of the Humans" was really an eye-opening documentary to watch.

I would suggest it to anyone who honestly thinks green energy is going to save humanity.

Watched this a few months back, Girth. It raises some very valid questions about the claims made by 'green energy' companies still, and frequently, reliant upon coal back-up or hydro. In addition, it exposes the ongoing environmental destruction in some of the world's poorest countries where companies lay waste to huge swathes of land unhindered by rule or regulation as they mine for the precious minerals that go into the manufacturing of today's technological devices.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Some clever lass or lad is going to come up with an engine that can eat anything: oil from any source, alcohol, hydrogen. Another clever lad or lass will come up with hyper-efficient photovoltaics.
And some company will come along and buy the idea or the company if the lads or lassies get that far and promptly shelve it. Can't say it hasn't happened before..........but, one can always hope.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Nope. Already had that "debate" with Hoid.

Boy, that was fun.
The only debate I remember having was you were going to dig into the comparison between EVs and ICE vehicles in terms of pollution.

How is your research going?

Are you ready yet to acknowledge that EVs are less polluting than ICE vehicles?

Because the entire world has understood that to be true for, oh, a number of decades now.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The only debate I remember having was you were going to dig into the comparison between EVs and ICE vehicles in terms of pollution.

How is your research going?

Are you ready yet to acknowledge that EVs are less polluting than ICE vehicles?

Because the entire world has understood that to be true for, oh, a number of decades now.
It's getting late so this is my last post before bed. I recall reading a study several years back comparing an EV against a HUMVEE to show how much 'Greener' the EV was. Extreme's for example, and the results where not as expected.

It compared the sourcing of materials, lifespan of the vehicle, and decommissioning of materials used in the vehicle afterwards, etc...but they picked the wrong villain in that the Military HUMMER was suppose to last 20yrs in Military service, so it was estimated that it (the HUMVEE for civilian use) would last about 70yrs in Civilian service....and thus it skewed the numbers and actually come out as the "Greener" of the two vehicles in the study. It appealed to my sense of humor and that's why I recall it to this day.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Funny, seeing as how my question wasn't about pollution, it was about total environmental impact.

I've heard of selective memory, but you've taken it all the way to "made-up memory."

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Funny, seeing as how my question wasn't about pollution, it was about total environmental impact.

I've heard of selective memory, but you've taken it all the way to "made-up memory."
Oh total environmental impact.

You were wondering if a zero emission vehicle has a greater negative total environmental impact than a vehicle that runs on gasoline?

That is a puzzle alright.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Oh total environmental impact.
You were wondering if a zero emission vehicle has a greater negative total environmental impact than a vehicle that runs on gasoline?
That is a puzzle alright.

A study posted in this thread already says 1-2% more pollution by an ICE vs EV during their lifetime.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Here's a current picture of a place called Mauritius which is somewhere far away.

A Japanese tanker is leaking fuel oil on a coral reef.

You'll need to include this one in your study.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Here's a current picture of a place called Mauritius which is somewhere far away.

A Japanese tanker is leaking fuel oil on a coral reef.

You'll need to include this one in your study.

I wonder how many electricity spills there will be this year...?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Lithium mine
I'm beginning to think he actually doesn't understand the difference between production costs (in terms of environmental harm) and operating costs (in the same terms).

For that matter, he doesn't even seem to understand that the production of the electricity that runs an electric car (an operating cost) pollutes.

Ah well, religion is like that.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I wonder how many electricity spills there will be this year...?

A quick search says this

Plants cropping up in lost Michigan lakes where dams ...
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/us/2020/08/08/plants-cropping-up-in...
2020-08-08 · Plants cropping up in lost Michigan lakes where dams failed ... The owners for years failed to invest and comply with government-set standards for health and safety on the hydroelectric …

3,460 acres of forest lost to hydropower projects – Druk ...
https://www.drukgreen.bt/3460-acres-of-forest-lost-to-hydropower-projects
By Phub Dem Bhutan lost about 3,460 acres of forest cover due to construction of three hydropower projects – Punatsangchhu-I, Punatsangchhu-II, and Mangdechhu.

James Bay Project - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bay_Project
The James Bay Project (French: projet de la Baie-James) refers to the construction of a series of hydroelectric power stations on the La Grande River in northwestern Quebec, Canada by state-owned utility Hydro-Québec, and the diversion of neighbouring rivers into the La Grande watershed.It is located between James Bay to the west and Labrador to the east, and its waters flow from the ...

PEOPLE ALSO ASK
What are the hidden costs of hydroelectric dams?
Are hydroelectric dams harmful to the water?
Where is the hydroelectric dam located?
How do hydroelectric dams affect indigenous peoples?
Feedback
PacifiCorp Protects 5,000 Acres of Wild Habitat Near ...
https://medium.com/the-hydroelectric/pacificorp-protects-5-000-acres...
2018-05-02 · National Hydropower Assoc May 2, 2018 · 4 min read When PacifiCorp created the reservoirs associated with the Merwin, Yale and Swift dams along the north fork of the Lewis River in Washington, more...

Author: National Hydropower Assoc
The Hidden Costs of Hydroelectric Dams | Cultural Survival
https://www.culturalsurvival.org/.../hidden-costs-hydroelectric-dams
1988-06-01 · Hydroelectric dams can have a great impact on the health of a region's residents. Severe health problems often result from the filling of the reservoir that holds the water for powering the project's electric generators. Put simply, large dams create vast pools of standing water that serve as the perfect breeding ground for disease-carrying ...

W. A. C. Bennett Dam - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._A._C._Bennett_Dam
The W. A. C. Bennett Dam is a large hydroelectric dam on the Peace River in northern British Columbia, Canada.At 183 metres (600 ft) high, it is one of the world's highest earth fill dams.Construction of the dam began in 1961 and culminated in 1968. At the dam, the Finlay, the Parsnip and the Peace Rivers feed into Williston Lake, also referred to as Williston Reservoir.

Moses-Saunders Power Dam - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses-Saunders_Power_Dam
The Moses-Saunders Power Dam, short for Robert Moses-Robert H. Saunders Power Dam, is a dam on the Saint Lawrence River straddling the border between the United States and Canada. It is located between Massena in New York and Cornwall in Ontario.The dam supplies water to two adjacent hydroelectric power generating stations, the United States' 912 MW St. Lawrence-Franklin D. Roosevelt …

Environmental Impacts of Hydroelectric Power | Union of ...
https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/environmental-impacts-hydroelectric-power
Hydroelectric power includes both massive hydroelectric dams and small run-of-the-river plants. Large-scale hydroelectric dams continue to be built in many parts of the world (including China and Brazil), but it is unlikely that new facilities will be added to the existing U.S. fleet in the future.

Large Hydropower - Energy British Columbia
energybc.ca/largehydro.html
The Peace’s major dam is the 2,730 W.A.C. Bennett Dam that dates back to 1968, and the proposed 1,100 MW Site C Dam will be built there too. In addition to some smaller dams in those regions there is a scattering of conventional hydropower projects around the Lower Mainland and on Vancouver Island.

The Costs and Benefits of Hydropower | Innovation ...
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/.../costs-and-benefits-hydropower-180967691
2018-01-05 · A s the first mega-dam, the Hoover Dam, completed in 1935, marked a turning point in the efficiency and ambition of hydropower projects. Dean Pulsipher, then a …

Related searches for acres lost to hydroelectric dams

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
He understands that this whole argument happened 20 years ago.

Only here could you still have it.