Religious exemption at Confession

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I am wondering even if exemption from clergy is removed how it would be enforced. How does one know that the priest got knowledge of the abuse? There are only 2 people in the confessional. The abuser and the priest. If the priest remains silent the only way to prove in court that they had knowledge is for the abuser to incriminate himself in court.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I am wondering even if exemption from clergy is removed how it would be enforced. How does one know that the priest got knowledge of the abuse? There are only 2 people in the confessional. The abuser and the priest. If the priest remains silent the only way to prove in court that they had knowledge is for the abuser to incriminate himself in court.
Exactly. And rat out the priest. "I'll give you the priest I told about it for a lighter sentence."

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Not sure if it has to be reported in NB or not; I think when it comes to priests, it's SUPPOSED to be, but Catholic priests often break that requirement (saw a few news articles re: that issue and being sued).

But yeah, confession is supposed to be anonymous and nothing said in it given onto anyone outside the confessional. The issue is, if someone is abusing their kid, should that priest report it? I get the situation they're in, but this is a child being abused. Since a lot of abuse reports can be made anonymously, the priest CAN still report it but not reveal who it came from.

"Suffer the little children" was not meant to be literal in this way, IMO.
And I'm sure whomever is "abusing a child" will willingly confess to it in confession!! Riiight!

Wise

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
You know that saying, a confessional booth is not a court house.

Wise

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Or, a court house is essentially a godless atheist system, or something like that. I forgot.