Religious accommodation or ‘accessory to sexism’? York student’s case stirs debate

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
At the crux of the matter is that this particular individual student is now influencing policy that extends across the entire school. What makes is more unsettling is that he knew via the course outline that an in-person meeting with other students was a requirement.

It is remarkable that the senior admin at York were so easily cowed into PC compliance by the simple statement that his religion was 'offended'.

It is remarkable considering the kid accepted his Prof's refusal to accommodate and the kid attended the mixed class and did the assignment. He also stated that he felt that it was handled well. So the only ones making a big deal about this whole thing IS the University Dean and the other admins.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It is remarkable considering the kid accepted his Prof's refusal to accommodate and the kid attended the mixed class and did the assignment. He also stated that he felt that it was handled well. So the only ones making a big deal about this whole thing IS the University Dean and the other admins.

And do you think it will end there.
The University as mentioned "In all Likelihood" would not accommodate such a request for on campus studies. That is far from a firm decision.

The Univ. used linkage from a student, overseas who could not attend and used that to justify their decision.

The student who had such firm, strong religious beliefs also attends classes on the campus.

It is idiots like those at the university that accommodated such a request that give fodder to the backwoods mentality presently ongoing in Quebec and their so called Charter of Values.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh I am making sense. The University does not have a policy for such on campus requests.
If it was different? Are you saying you would agree with him being exempt from interaction with females while taking on campus courses?

I agree with a place of business making any accommodation they reasonably can for their customers without effecting others. I don't see that being possible in an on campus course. How could he avoid women without trying to make them avoid him?

It is remarkable that the senior admin at York were so easily cowed into PC compliance by the simple statement that his religion was 'offended'.

You're putting more words in his mouth I see.

And do you think it will end there.
The University as mentioned "In all Likelihood" would not accommodate such a request for on campus studies. That is far from a firm decision.

Have you seen what happens when you couple humans with firm policies? Someone always comes along that makes your policy look inhumane and cruel.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I agree with a place of business making any accommodation they reasonably can for their customers without effecting others. I don't see that being possible in an on campus course. How could he avoid women without trying to make them avoid him?

You're putting more words in his mouth I see.

Have you seen what happens when you couple humans with firm policies? Someone always comes along that makes your policy look inhumane and cruel.

It appears that people are jumping thru hoops to accommodate for fear of being labelled racist. The fellow that made this request,in my opinion it was bogus. He has been attending courses on campus, with women in the class.

The Duty to Accommodate does not always equate or result in an accommodation. There are times where no accommodation can be made.
And in my opinion, this is one of those.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The only reason this was not rejected out of hand without further comment is that it did not represent a Christian objection to academic content or social life at the university.

The fact that it concerned Islamic.. or Buddhist.. or Atheist objections gave it immediate credibility as 'victim' group of rampant Cristian moralism.

For 40 years a full scale attack by universities have been in play against their origins as organs of the faith.. for which theology represented the Queen of the Sciences. Not surprising the further they remove themselves from their origins the more absurd, fragmented and generally useless their courses.. and their degrees.. become.

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It appears that people are jumping thru hoops to accommodate for fear of being labelled racist. The fellow that made this request,in my opinion it was bogus. He has been attending courses on campus, with women in the class.

The Duty to Accommodate does not always equate or result in an accommodation. There are times where no accommodation can be made.

According to the professor, the student went farther than an innocent request... The professor specifically commented that this genius argued the position in an effort to get his way

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

And the college apparently agrees with you in his case. But, jumping through hoops not to appear racist? What race is he?