President's Cup in Quebec

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Any golfers here?

There is a tourney on in (or near) Montreal I think - something new - an International Team with Canadians and Euros and Aussies and some from Asia against the U.S.

It's match play and they are both so close it's going to be interesting Sat and Sun...

In case you didn't already know about it - There hasn't been much publicity except on the golf channel...

There goes my weekend...glued to the idiot box again ! :lol:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I think the name of the golf course where the Tournament is being played is the Royal Montreal...

It's a fantastic layout and one of the toughest I've seen in a long time - scoring is an honest challenge for all the professionals playing. It's one of the best competitions I've seen this year.

Guess nobody is interested in golf here but I wanted the Canadians to know the audiences are wonderful and the teams are really happy with the challenge whoever designed the course gave them...

One more day to go.... Goosen Rocked today!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It is good to hear that the tournament is going well, and everyone is behaving.:cool:

Unfortunately, I am not much of a golf fan. Being an absolutely horrible golfer the few times I've ever played probably has something to do with it.:lol:

Who is your favourite golfer, Curio?:smile:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Shadow

Golf is for the people who have lots of time on their hands - I used to play - in fact I spent a whole year in lessons at a driving range before I was 'allowed' on any course. I played for about fifteen years but it's too hot down here and the courses seem like cement compared with B.C. golfing.

I used to like a lot of pros... Mark O'Meara, Hale Irwin, Tom Watson and these days I like Tiger of course - because he is a fine guy doing a lot for the sport and his charities - and Phil Mickelson...not too familiar with the international group but Ernie Els and Retief Goosen are my favs...and Sergio Garcia who always interacts with the crowd.

The fans are terrific - even yelling for the U.S. team but of course everyone is focused on Mike Weir who is paying fantastic golf in this tourney and has become the 'hometown favorite' even though I think he is from the west (could be wrong) and living in the U.S. right now....

I like golf because with athletes behaving like clowns in so many other sports, I like what golf remains..a sport with behavior.... corny eh?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Shadow

Golf is for the people who have lots of time on their hands - I used to play - in fact I spent a whole year in lessons at a driving range before I was 'allowed' on any course. I played for about fifteen years but it's too hot down here and the courses seem like cement compared with B.C. golfing.

I used to like a lot of pros... Mark O'Meara, Hale Irwin, Tom Watson and these days I like Tiger of course - because he is a fine guy doing a lot for the sport and his charities - and Phil Mickelson...not too familiar with the international group but Ernie Els and Retief Goosen are my favs...and Sergio Garcia who always interacts with the crowd.

The fans are terrific - even yelling for the U.S. team but of course everyone is focused on Mike Weir who is paying fantastic golf in this tourney and has become the 'hometown favorite' even though I think he is from the west (could be wrong) and living in the U.S. right now....

I like golf because with athletes behaving like clowns in so many other sports, I like what golf remains..a sport with behavior.... corny eh?

No, not corny at all. One just needs to look at athletes like Michael Vick and others to realize that there truly aren't that many role models in the "big name" sports.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thanks Shadow for understanding what I meant

Some people think I sound snotty for talking about the goodness of sports, but I believe they are a way for the young people of our world to get out some of their energy and learn right vs. wrong without being a sissy....

There are enough different kinds of sport for kids to find at least one to become interested in....
yet gold seemed to be for the wealthy only.... Tiger changed all that .... and has made a whole new
crowd of golf fans ... I think it's great.

I just read the Billy's Boy topic..... the Viners are all so special..... it must have hurt terribly breaking away and having to start over.... all those terrible times with Doc and the others.... I'm glad your group decided to give this place a try - you've made it so much more interesting and have brought so many different ideas to us here....

Thanks for that..... have a nice evening Shadow....Curio

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Thanks Shadow for understanding what I meant

Some people think I sound snotty for talking about the goodness of sports, but I believe they are a way for the young people of our world to get out some of their energy and learn right vs. wrong without being a sissy....

There are enough different kinds of sport for kids to find at least one to become interested in....
yet gold seemed to be for the wealthy only.... Tiger changed all that .... and has made a whole new
crowd of golf fans ... I think it's great.

I just read the Billy's Boy topic..... the Viners are all so special..... it must have hurt terribly breaking away and having to start over.... all those terrible times with Doc and the others.... I'm glad your group decided to give this place a try - you've made it so much more interesting and have brought so many different ideas to us here....

Thanks for that..... have a nice evening Shadow....Curio

But the strangest part of the whole situation is that if it had never happened, then I(and others) would never have known about this site. That would have been truly a bad thing. I now have more new friends, and I really enjoy it here.

And I agree about Tiger. He really is the catalyst of why golf is so popular now.

Have a very good evening, Curio.:smile:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Shadow

That's true - and when the Viners came they made this place so interesting after all the BS was sorted out....

Hey Doc

It was a rough start here for you - but I so glad you gave it a chance to settle down..

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Found the write up of the final day but my paper had a wonderful picture of Woods and Weir shaking hands - made me cry a bit.... can't find the dang thing

Americans capture Cup; Weir delivers consolation with win vs. Woods

Associated Press In order to see this media, please download Macromedia Flash Player 8";
MONTREAL -- The Presidents Cup didn't end in another tie, but it sure felt that way Sunday.
The Americans celebrated another victory, taking more than enough singles matches at Royal Montreal to make a winner out of captain Jack Nicklaus again and capture their first cup on international soil in 14 years.
Even rowdier were those Canadians crammed into the bleachers and pressed against the ropes, waving the Maple Leaf flag, cheering and chanting at every turn as their beloved Mike Weir won the last two holes to take down Tiger Woods.
"When he won on 18, you could hear it all the way to Kansas City,'' International captain Gary Player said.
The final cheer was for the consolation prize.
The Presidents Cup went to a United States team that was overwhelming in the team matches and good enough in singles for its second straight victory over the International team, 19½-14½.

Timothy A. Clary/AFP/Getty Images
Canadian Mike Weir of the International team, on the second hole Sunday in Montreal, prevailed in his match against Tiger Woods.

David Toms earned the most points. Scott Verplank won all four of his matches. Woody Austin drew the most laughter, falling into a lake on the 14th hole Friday and making fun of himself by wearing a swimming mask as he walked down the same fairway Sunday.
As usual, the inspiration and laughs came from Nicklaus, a seven-time runner-up at the Canadian Open who finally left the Great White North with a shiny gold trophy.
"I've always loved playing for Jack, and hopefully, he'll come back,'' Woods said. "He's the greatest player of all time, and to have him as your captain to lead us, it doesn't get any better than that.''
The Canadians found something equally special.
The cheers were relentless on a spectacular autumn day, and they carried the former Masters champion from a sudden collapse to an unlikely victory.
Woods was 1 up with two holes to play when Weir made a 10-foot birdie putt to win the 17th, then watched as Woods pulled a tee shot that splashed into a pond -- right in front of a Canadian flag that fans were holding behind the ropes.
"It's mixed emotions for sure,'' Weir said. "Our team didn't win. I won a point. It's only one point.''
But what a point it was.
Woods beat Greg Norman when the Presidents Cup was in Australia, and he beat Ernie Els in South Africa four years ago. Weir only made the team as a captain's pick, but he was the International team's best player -- especially Sunday.
"Obviously, winning the Masters was such a thrill,'' Weir said. "But to play Tiger ... he's the best player there is, and I had to play my absolute best today to beat him.''
Woods and Weir shared a hug on the 18th green as the gallery roar again, filling the air with chants of "Mike! Mike! Mike!''
"I told him I was proud of how he handled himself,'' Woods said. "He had to carry an entire country on his shoulders. Not too many people can play as well as he did. He handled it magnificently.''
The Americans were superb, too.

We came into this week with a little score to settle up in the international golf arena. I think we showed everybody that we can play again.

-- American Stewart Cink

Verplank completed a 4-0 week with birdies on the 16th and 17th to beat Rory Sabbatini, 2 and 1. Phil Mickelson hammered Vijay Singh, closing him out on the 14th hole while wearing soft spikes. Stewart Cink delivered the cup-clinching point after birdies on the first five holes led to a 6-and-4 victory over Nick O'Hern.
"We came into this week with a little score to settle up in the international golf arena,'' Cink said. "I think we showed everybody that we can play again.''
That was a reference to the Ryder Cup, which the Americans have won only once since 1993. They seem to have no trouble against an equally strong International team, winning this week on the strength of capturing 10½ points from 11 foursomes matches.
"It was going to be a miracle for us to win this thing,'' Ernie Els said.
The United States has a 5-1-1 lead in the Presidents Cup, and Player could only point to moral victories. It was the first time the International team had won the singles session.
"Our guys can hold their heads up high,'' said Player, 0-2-1 as a captain. "And to Mike Weir, I can only say, 'Well done, my friend. That's a big thing in your life.' "
A predictable outcome was saved by a match between the two biggest golf stars on the Ile Bizard -- Weir, the most popular golfer in Canada, and Woods, the most popular figure in golf.
With former President Bush on the first tee to greet every match, the crowd made golf sound like a heavyweight fight. And Weir certainly looked the part when he birdied the second hole, won the fourth hole when Woods made bogey from a bunker, and went 3 up on the par-5 sixth hole after Woods hit his tee shot out of bounds.
"It was similar to a Ryder Cup, especially early on when he was 2 up and 3 up,'' Woods said.
With a chance to go 4 up, Weir missed an 8-foot birdie on the 10th hole, and Woods took a slight opening and kicked it open. His approach to the 11th stopped 9 inches from the cup for birdie.
He won the par-5 12th with an up-and-down birdie short of the green, and the match was square when Weir missed a 5-foot putt at No. 14 for his first bogey on his own ball the entire week.
Woods took his first lead when Weir's approach to the 15th trickled into the water hazard. He removed his shoes to hit out of the water, but splashed the ball over the green. Weir didn't quit, and the crowd sure didn't get more quiet.
As he stood over a 10-foot birdie putt on the 17th, the bleachers across the pond behind the 16th green stood in silence, then roared when the ball disappeared for birdie.
Nicklaus had said earlier in the week he put his players out to win every match. This time, however, he was hopeful of a tie after watching Weir and Woods play in such an electric atmosphere.
"I've always had great respect for Mike,'' Nicklaus said. "He was put in an awfully difficult position this week, carrying the whole International team basically on his shoulders. I thought it would be the best of both worlds.''
Turns out it was.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Woody wearing the goggles was pretty funny. He's a real clown at times.

I can't believe they held an event in Canada on the last day of September. If it had been held on Vancouver Island they would've found monsoons that chased away ducks.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Kreskin ...there were so many laughs on that tournament ...everyone seemed upbeat and determined to make it a real 'sporting' event

The players all crouched when a beautiful V-line of geese flew over on their way south...it was like a scene in a movie...

Then the water hazards - the outfits the guys wore determined to hack the ball out of the marsh hahaha... it was a hoot... never seen golf played with so much humor..... one guy fell back into the water face first and ducked under.... came up smiliing though.

I really felt good watching it...and the final 'wins' could not have been better.... the crowd were as lively as a hockey crowd but without the expletives hahaha.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
found the picture I had been looking for .... two guys who played fantstic golf

View larger image
United States team member Tiger Woods and International team member Mike Weir congratulate each other at the end of their final singles matches of the Presidents Cup Golf Tournament at the Royal Montreal Golf Club in Montreal Sunday Sep. 30, 2007. (CP / Tom Hanson)