Pot Luck blues...

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I'm bored with my usual pot luck recipes. Anyone have interesting, out of the ordinary, sure-fire crowd pleaser recipes?

I work with a group of women who are all phenomenal in the kitchen - we're regularly treated to gourmet delicacies at our pot lucks, but I usually bring the old tried and true stand by's. I'd like to bring something wow-worthy this time.

So if you're holding out on a secret recipe, cough it up. I won't tell anyone, I promise! :p

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Left-over soups are popular around here and never the same twice. Bean salad is cool (can use whatever beans you like, including green beans):
1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 celery stalks, chopped fine
1/2 red onion, chopped fine
1 cup fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbsp fresh finely chopped rosemary
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 In a large bowl, mix the beans, celery, onion, parsley and rosemary.
2 In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans. Toss to coat.
3 Chill beans in the refrigerator for several hours, to allow the beans to soak up the flavor of the dressing.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I always find it difficult to decide what to bring and usually just end up bringing cabbage rolls! Nothing exciting but at least there are never any left overs to bring home and they are easy and quick to make and if needed you can just throw them in a slow cooker.

What do you usually bring?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'm bored with my usual pot luck recipes. Anyone have interesting, out of the ordinary, sure-fire crowd pleaser recipes?

I work with a group of women who are all phenomenal in the kitchen - we're regularly treated to gourmet delicacies at our pot lucks, but I usually bring the old tried and true stand by's. I'd like to bring something wow-worthy this time.

So if you're holding out on a secret recipe, cough it up. I won't tell anyone, I promise! :p
I don't know if you are considering a soup recipe or not but I have taken this to many pot luck dinners and actually watched the women cleaning the pot, literally lick the pot clean. This recipe was made up by my son so if someone tells you they already have it - they got it from a friend of a friend of a friend! :lol:

JALAPENO CHEDDAR CHOWDER
Roux: 1 Cup Butter (use real butter) 1 cup white flour
Melt butter and whisk in flour

Add a litre of water. Cook stirring constantly until flour is cooked. Add more water until mixture is the consistancy of ketchup

Add:

1/4 - 1/2 cup chicken soup base
2 Red and 1 Green Bell Peppers; 1-2 oz. Jalapeno peppers (from jar) plus 1 oz of the Jalapeno juice from the jar (All PUREED).

Now add:
1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
1/2 cup shredded med. cheddar cheese

Cook over MEDIUM heat stirring constantly. You must be sure the flour is cooked or it will taste floury.

Side note: Get all your peppers ready before you start and add the jalo juice. After that this all takes only a few min. to prepare but you do have to watch it to be sure the flour is cooked and that it doesn't burn.

This is a secret family recipe and I would really appreciate it if you don't share it with anyone. (our little secret so to speak);-)
(You never asked for a recipe that wasn't fattening):lol:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
wonderful! I run off to do my job, and come back to marrrrvelous recipes! You guys rawk! We pot luck here at least every couple of months, so there can never be too many recipes in this thread... keep 'em comin'!

Thanks again!

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Every time I go to pot-luck dinner, I take a large pot of my Hungarian Csirke Paprikash with nokedli, with a side order of uborka salata.

100% guarantee that I go home with empty dishes.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
What do you usually bring?

I usually bring a spinach dip, or sometimes I get a bit adventurous and make it a crab dip lolll. Actually I often stop by my fave vietnamese restaurant and pick up several orders of their spring rolls - to date the best I've tasted anywhere - then I cut them up into bite size pieces, put 'em on a plate with a little fish sauce on the side and voila - I"m a star! heh heh... it's the recipe for the busy working mom ;)

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Left-over soups are popular around here and never the same twice. Bean salad is cool (can use whatever beans you like, including green beans):
1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 celery stalks, chopped fine
1/2 red onion, chopped fine
1 cup fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbsp fresh finely chopped rosemary
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 In a large bowl, mix the beans, celery, onion, parsley and rosemary.
2 In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans. Toss to coat.
3 Chill beans in the refrigerator for several hours, to allow the beans to soak up the flavor of the dressing.

mmmm I love beans... but ermmmm... I don't notice any mustard powder in this recipe... are you sure you haven't just sent me a recipe for a bunch of Farting Female Faculty? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"It sounds yummy even with my mispronounciation... got recipes?"

Zan, just google them - you'll find all kinds of recipes, virtually hundreds of them, but regretfully not mine, which are closely guarded family recipes.

Another of my resounding culinary successes is my bean soup with smoked pork hocks. Sorry, if you are Jewish or Muslim, you'll miss out on this one.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Baked Meatballs

This is a recipe that has been in our family for years. I often make a double recipe for potluck events and they are just about always the first dish empty.

Meat Balls

1 pound Ground Beef
3/4 cup finely crushed chow mein noodles
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons minced onion
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper

Sauce
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons Corn Oil
1 clove Garlic crushed
1 tablespoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger

Mix meat ball ingredients. Shape into 36 balls. Mix sauce ingredients. Let balls stand in sauce for at least one hour. Roll meat balls around in the liquid sauce a couple times over the hour. Discard sauce. In a lightly greased baking dish, bake at 350 degrees for twenty to twenty five minutes. Spear with tooth picks and serve hot.

PS
The last couple operations can be done in the host's kitchen. You don't need two dishes. Just drain off sauce, add a small touch of oil and bake.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
mmmm I love beans... but ermmmm... I don't notice any mustard powder in this recipe... are you sure you haven't just sent me a recipe for a bunch of Farting Female Faculty? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
lol Well, it kinda works that way, yes. As for adding and replacing bits here and there, that's allowed. Mustard is goo and I always like garlic in it, too.. :)

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Baked Meatballs

This is a recipe that has been in our family for years. I often make a double recipe for potluck events and they are just about always the first dish empty.

Meat Balls
1 pound Ground Beef
3/4 cup finely crushed chow mein noodles
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons minced onion
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper

Sauce
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons Corn Oil
1 clove Garlic crushed
1 tablespoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger

Mix meat ball ingredients. Shape into 36 balls. Mix sauce ingredients. Let balls stand in sauce for at least one hour. Roll meat balls around in the liquid sauce a couple times over the hour. Discard sauce. In a lightly greased baking dish, bake at 350 degrees for twenty to twenty five minutes. Spear with tooth picks and serve hot.

PS
The last couple operations can be done in the host's kitchen. You don't need two dishes. Just drain off sauce, add a small touch of oil and bake.
There you go, Zan. You can make beef meatballs or use moosemeat like we like to do. :D Um, unless you are used to eating wild game, moose has a tendency to become fart factories, too. :D

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There you go, Zan. You can make beef meatballs or use moosemeat like we like to do. :D Um, unless you are used to eating wild game, moose has a tendency to become fart factories, too. :D

Unless the moose meat is very finely ground with a bit of pork by a butcher it will be a bit stringy. Moose meat is usually very nice but it is not beef and it needs a bit of special treatment for most recipes.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Unless the moose meat is very finely ground with a bit of pork by a butcher it will be a bit stringy. Moose meat is usually very nice but it is not beef and it needs a bit of special treatment for most recipes.
I really like moose roast but not the ground moose. Just doesn't do it for me.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That's why I said you add bacon. Also, it doesn't need to be turned into pemmican. Regular grind is fine.
One could use elk, too, for that matter. Both taste a lot better than beef. Actually both moose and elk have a taste. Beef is kinda blah. lol

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

I'll bet that your "tried and trues" are damned tasty.:cool:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That's why I said you add bacon. Also, it doesn't need to be turned into pemmican. Regular grind is fine.
One could use elk, too, for that matter. Both taste a lot better than beef. Actually both moose and elk have a taste. Beef is kinda blah. lol

When I was growing up my family always had a moose in the freezer. Unless it was a yearling calf or not much older, the roasts were a bit dry and the steaks a bit tough. I would sooner have a prime rib roast of beef or a porterhouse beef steak any day. The best thing about moose meat was probably the price.;-)