'Pass it off to the customer,' billionaire Jim Pattison says of rising business costs

MyOpinion

Time Out
Dec 3, 2021
Back in the day there used to be an unwritten contract between an employee and the employer. I'll give you 30 odd years of service to the Company, and you take care of my family.

But with the advent of Free / Global Trade a few decades ago, it all of a sudden became a race to the bottom. Outsourcing cheap labour to foreign countries became the norm...paying people in Bangladesh 50 cents an hour to make Nike shoes...paying cheap wages to Mexicans to build goods...Chinese labour...etc.

The bottom line and pleasing the shareholders became the priority. In other words, Joe Sixpack and Sally Housecoat were thrown under the Bus.

Today the chickens are coming home to roost. The steady evaporation of the middle class...a large gulf between those who have and the have-nots. It truly is a mess brought on by greed and poor policy.
I beg to differ.
There was never an unwritten rule for an employer to take care of the employee, let alone their family. The only reason any "taking care of" was happening was because of unions (and I am not a union loving person).

Reactions: taxslave

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
What politicians make is what they decide LOL.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a job and decide every year how much of a raise you get??
That’s a tough one. Most of us have a moral compass and are aware of our surroundings.

“It’s been a tough year on the country as a whole and this company specifically between a global pandemic and everything surrounding it….should I or shouldn’t I (?) and if at all how much?”

Vs a Politician, “It’s been a tough year on the country as a whole in this nation specifically between a global pandemic and everything surrounding it…so screw it, Jack me up another $3500 annually…& increase the Carbon Tax, and Liquor and tobacco taxes, and some other taxes, ‘cuz April Fools Bitches!!!”

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I beg to differ.
There was never an unwritten rule for an employer to take care of the employee, let alone their family. The only reason any "taking care of" was happening was because of unions (and I am not a union loving person).
Starting & Ending a career with the same (or very few) company was a fairly common thing at one time. Not everyone by any means but the stories where out there.

Currently I don’t know anybody (Zero!) under the age of 50 that can claim they’ve been with the same company for 30yrs & will be for another 15yrs, union or not.

Last edited:

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
I beg to differ.
There was never an unwritten rule for an employer to take care of the employee, let alone their family.

I'd say the workforce from 1945-1990ish was mainly a one career gig for the breadwinner of the family.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What politicians make is what they decide LOL.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a job and decide every year how much of a raise you get??
Just like being self employed. You can choose to not give yourself a raise and maybe survive for another year, or get a raise and go bankrupt.

MyOpinion

Time Out
Dec 3, 2021
Just like being self employed. You can choose to not give yourself a raise and maybe survive for another year, or get a raise and go bankrupt.
You mean like making the Country bankrupt? LOL
Politician giving themselves an annual raise, plus getting expenses, housing and transportation and meals paid for and.....after 6 years a pretty good pension?? Oh and, in the past 2 years, not even having to show up for work? Man, sucks to be a politician LOL

• Sad

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
& If not one company then just a small handful as opposed to A different company every five or 10 years at the maximum like currently it seems.
Depends on the industry. Loggers and construction workers tend to move around a lot for various reasons. Especially camp work. Town loggers often did a career with one employer up until the 90s.Factory workers seem to remain with one job more often.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You mean like making the Country bankrupt? LOL
Politician giving themselves an annual raise, plus getting expenses, housing and transportation and meals paid for and.....after 6 years a pretty good pension?? Oh and, in the past 2 years, not even having to show up for work? Man, sucks to be a politician LOL
Tough job, but with the thick skin required to not care what people think about you, it is easier.

MyOpinion

Time Out
Dec 3, 2021
Show me where, in last 1/2 dozen federal elections, where Western Canada kept voting in the Liberal Party of Canada.
Yeah well, Western Canada never made a difference in Canadian politics. Ya gotta know by now that the power is in Ontario and Quebec and that is all that matters LOL

• Angry

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I appreciate your honesty. Most from Quebec or Ontario only admit to this when it’s convenient. Weird question but what province in Canada do you reside in?
1643029987298.jpeg
Western Canada, Currently (not never), with Justin Trudeau’s divisive politics, makes Western Canada not matter in Canadian Politics. I just wanted to reciprocate with balanced honesty.

MyOpinion

Time Out
Dec 3, 2021
Who is “we” in the ‘we like ‘‘em cause we keep voting them back’ ???
Western Canada never made a difference, as I said, once Quebec and Ontario voted, the rest of the Canadian votes were only window dressing.
I now live in Ontario but from Vancouver and spent most of my career in Western Canada
"We", as in "We like em" is the parliamentary seat voting "Canada".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I appreciate your honesty. Most from Quebec or Ontario only admit to this when it’s convenient. Weird question but what province in Canada do you reside in?
View attachment 11846
Western Canada, Currently (not never), with Justin Trudeau’s divisive politics, makes Western Canada not matter in Canadian Politics. I just wanted to reciprocate with balanced honesty.
Never?

Only two ridings have sent 2 different Prime Ministers to office. One in Quebec and one in Saskatchewan.

Reactions: Ron in Regina