Ontario Drivers can Fight Back

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
No, I'm not talking about road raging against other drivers, but how about Raging against the Provincial and Municipal governments who have let our roads and highway infrastructure crumble.

Check this out:

Ontario's Worst Roads

Report your favorite worst road and they'll even forward it to the Premier/Mayor!

Great information about how bad roads cost us more money in insurance, tire and suspension wear and lives.

I personally feel we've been short-changed by our governments at all levels on this. Letting so much development happen, more people to move in, yet not investing in the infrastructure to support it all.

What's worse, is they haven't invested in an effective regional transit system to take the burden off the highways either.

There is a poll on the site about directing a portion of the gas tax to road repair.
That sounds simple enough...the people driving on the roads more, pay more and it self-sustains. Is that too complex a concept? Does it make more sense to allocate part of the tax money to improving the TTC?

It's sponsored by the CAA...

Muz

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
We can complain....

Reporting-MTA: dns;server6485.internal.developersnetwork.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;server6485
Arrival-Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:50:09 -0400

Final-Recipient: rfc822;town@isys.ca
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 cuda_nsu Sorry, no mailbox here by that name.
(#5.1.1)

...but will they hear?

Wolf

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Wasn't the tire tax supposed to be used for Ontario's infrastructure? It's a shame it all goes into "General Revenue" :-?

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Yeah, I would imagine even if they did get through the recipient would quickly mark the sender as spam and that would be it. (I happen to know our mayor, so I'll ask him.)

The value here is more in the media and public awareness of the situation when election time comes.

We all see the state of the roads we drive each day, but when you look at the list (it is relateively new), you can see the pattern emerge.

Funny, the road I mentioned would be in the top 20 except it is listed under two municipalities (it borders the two) and the votes were split.

That road (and another highly ranked road in my commute) destroyed the suspension, steering, bushings, tires etc in my old PT Cruiser far before their rated replacement interval.

Fortunately I just found a route that bypasses those roads, but their answer was to post signs and reduce the speed limit to 50Km/Hr from 70.

Muz

We can complain....

Reporting-MTA: dns;server6485.internal.developersnetwork.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;server6485
Arrival-Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:50:09 -0400

Final-Recipient: rfc822;town@isys.ca
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 cuda_nsu Sorry, no mailbox here by that name.
(#5.1.1)

...but will they hear?

Wolf

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Sorta like those fishing licence fees that were supposed to go into restocking. Most of that comes out of local conservation authorities.

Wolf

And don't forget the HealthCare Tax going to healthcare. LOL

Its all general revenue -- just another tax for services not provided.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
A little drive around Buffalo might change peoples opinion of what a bad road is like. I spent a few days there recently and found most roads were as bad or worse than the ones complained about in this CAA report. I drive a pick up truck and laugh at the little cars slowing for the bumps that I can blast over, even so, after three days in Buffalo I was sure glad to cross that bridge and get back on smooth roads again.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
ha. Try fox lake for a bad road.

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
The picture shows TWO packed ruts in the road...in my neck of the woods we dream of having two ruts in between the potholes.

Muz

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
that was on a good day. When it rains, all hell lets loose. Plus that's in the middle of nowhere. If you break down you're gonna be there a while. And officially, that road doesn't exist.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
nah ive moved to the city now. And that place is a little too far north for hummingbirds... away from the mountains too so no rufouses

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
And don't forget the HealthCare Tax going to healthcare. LOL

Its all general revenue -- just another tax for services not provided.

Repeat after me:

"that is not a tax"
"that is not a tax"
that is not a tax'

It's a .......................health care premium.........:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Don;'t forget............there are no new taxes.............no new taxes............no new taxes:roll:

The first time we paid it at the end of the year really surprised me. Then I got angry. Then I wrote letters. Then I paid the "PREMIUM"...........:sex:

GOD, it felt good.:toothy9: d'oh!!

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
I am not sure if we should be more angry with the government (McGuinty) or the court system. How can a politician sign an agreement, in public, on tv, making certain promises then when he breaks the contract is taken to court and the court says.... ' you really believed that this was a valid contract?' wtf?!?!?!8O8O8O

Hell, I'm gunna try that one on for size at the bank re: creditcard interest and see how it flies :roll: