Omnibus Russia Ukraine crisis

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
He looks nervous but good for him for going.

It's a propaganda victory for Ukrainians to have international leaders visit-it shows they are in control of their airspace.

As an aside in a country like Canada with so many people of Ukrainian ancestry how could he not go?

Example-Kitsilano BC 3 story walkup and 3 of the names out of 11 on the front door directory are Ukrainian and this is repeated all across the country even into Quebec.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ukraine's mine sniffing dog Patron awarded medal by Zelenskyy
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Publishing date:May 08, 2022 • 7 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Patron, a service dog trained to search for explosives, is on hand for a joint news conference by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on May 8, 2022 in Kyiv, Ukraine.
Patron, a service dog trained to search for explosives, is on hand for a joint news conference by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on May 8, 2022 in Kyiv, Ukraine. PHOTO BY ALEXEY FURMAN /Getty Images

KYIV — President Volodymyr Zelenskyy presented Ukraine’s famous mine sniffing dog Patron and his owner with a medal on Sunday to recognize their dedicated service since Russia’s invasion.

The pint-size Jack Russell terrier has been credited with detecting more than 200 explosives and preventing their detonation since the start of the war on Feb. 24, quickly becoming a canine symbol of Ukrainian patriotism.

Zelenskyy made the award at a news conference in Kyiv with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Patron barked and wagged his tail, prompting laughter from the audience. Trudeau patted his pockets as though looking for a dog treat.

A dog named Patron (cartridge) and trained to search for explosives is seen at an airfield, as Russia’s attack on Ukraine continues, in the town of Hostomel, in Kyiv region, Ukraine May 5, 2022.
A dog named Patron (cartridge) and trained to search for explosives is seen at an airfield, as Russia’s attack on Ukraine continues, in the town of Hostomel, in Kyiv region, Ukraine May 5, 2022. PHOTO BY GLEB GARANICH /REUTERS
“Today, I want to award those Ukrainian heroes who are already clearing our land of mines. And together with our heroes, a wonderful little sapper – Patron – who helps not only to neutralize explosives, but also to teach our children the necessary safety rules in areas where there is a mine threat,” Zelenskyy said in a statement after the ceremony.

The award also went to Patron’s owner, a major in the Civil Protection Service, Myhailo Iliev.
1652078228358.pngPATRON-DOG-scaled[1].jpg

Reactions: taxslave

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
The foolhardiness of Trudeau’s ‘surprise’ visit to Ukraine
Author of the article:Mark Bonokoski
Publishing date:May 12, 2022 • 19 hours ago • 3 minute read • 55 Comments

The Prime Minister’s “surprise” visit to Ukraine on Sunday — in which he dragged along Deputy PM Chrystia Freeland and Foreign Affairs Minster Melanie Joly — gave the impression the war is less fierce than its reality.

Regardless, it was foolhardy grandstanding for Justin Trudeau to pop in to re-raise the flag at the Canadian Embassy in the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv as if there wasn’t a care in the world while putting Freeland and Joly in potential harm’s way.

Joly, however, oddly loves smiling for the camera even while surrounded by death and destruction.

I could be wrong about the danger, although it would explain why Trudeau brought along his own armed protection detail.

Perhaps Trudeau knowingly timed it to coincide with Russia’s Victory Day, a holiday celebrated with great pomp with a parade in Moscow’s Red Square to mark the defeat of Nazi Germany by the Allies.

President Vladimir Putin would likely be sidelined by the annual celebrations, thereby giving Trudeau and his contingent a window of opportunity to get into Kyiv, deliver a strong speech condemning Russia’s action, and then quickly get out.

Outside of Russia, however, there was more of an edge.

In Poland, for example, when Russian Ambassador Sergey Andreev arrived at the Soviet soldiers’ cemetery in Warsaw to lay flowers on Victory Day, he was met by hundreds of activists opposed to the war in Ukraine, with video showing a protester throwing a big blob of red paint in his face.

At a news conference with Volodymyr Zelensky, Trudeau praised Ukraine’s president for his leadership and the courage of Ukrainians in defending their country, including those in the nearby town of Irvin where Ukraine fighters stopped Russia’s troops from entering Kyiv.

“It was a true inspiration,” he said.

“Today, I’m announcing more military assistance, drone cameras, satellite imagery, small arms, ammunition, and other support, including funding for de-mining operations,” Trudeau said.

“And we’re bringing forward new sanctions on 40 Russian individuals and five entities, oligarchs, and close associates of the regime in the defense sector, all of them complicit in Putin’s war.”

Irvin Mayor Oleksandr Markushyn quoted Trudeau as saying that he visited “to see with his own eyes all the horror which Russian occupiers have caused to our town.”

Grandstanding? Yes, in spades.

Conservative leadership candidate Roman Baber, born in the Soviet Union, says he knows Communism when he sees it.

But he and his parents moved to Israel when he was eight, before immigrating to Canada in 1995, when he was 15.

So, he was the equivalent of being in say, Grade 3, maybe Grade 2, when he left Russia but nonetheless recognizes Communism.

And he sees it in Justin Trudeau.

Once a Progressive Conservative in Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s government, Roman Baber now sees Communism running deep.

“I know Communism when I see it,” Baber says in his latest campaign literature. “You know it and I know it. And it’s not a joke.

“Trudeau openly admires ‘China’s basic dictatorship.’

“He gets the CBC to spin the news in his favour, just like the Pravda newspaper did for the Communist Party in the Soviet Union.

“He shows contempt for free-markets and is introducing ‘Universal Basic Income’ to Canada.

“He censors speech and prosecutes political opponents.

“He disregards the rule of law with invocation of the Emergencies Act and seizing of bank accounts without a court order.

“Our Party needs a real fighter who is not afraid to stand up for what we believe in.

“I am the only Conservative who is not afraid of left-wing cancel culture and the Twitter mob,” Baber claims.

“I am not afraid of Communists.”

markbonokoski@gmail.com

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek