Omnibus: America’s July 4 shootings

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Don't know why it's such a big deal. Everyone has guns now so SOME guy that's good with a gun will stop the shooter. And if not, who cares anyway, just another day in the USA.
Celebrating our freedom, I guess.

Not doing a very bloody good job of it. One wounded.

Cletus is a lousy shot.

Reactions: Serryah

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Highland Park parade shooting left 8-year-old boy with severed spinal cord
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Christopher Walljasper and Steve Gorman
Publishing date:Jul 07, 2022 • 8 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation

CHICAGO — An 8-year-old boy suffered a severed spinal cord from a gunshot wound to his chest in the July Fourth attack on a Chicago-area parade that left seven dead, a family spokesman said on Thursday, with his twin brother and mother also wounded.

Cooper Roberts was one of the most gravely wounded among dozens of people who survived gunshots and other injuries in the Highland Park Independence Day assault, underscoring physical and emotional devastation that goes beyond the lives lost in such violence.

He was listed on Thursday in critical but stable condition while still breathing on a ventilator, a family spokesman said. It wasn’t immediately clear how many of at least 46 people sent to hospitals after the attack have since been released.

Cooper’s twin brother, Luke, was hospitalized with shrapnel wounds in his lower body but discharged after doctors removed some of the debris. The boys’ mother, Keely Roberts, suffered gunshot wounds to her legs and feet, the spokesman, Anthony Loizzi, told reporters on a Zoom call.

The twins attended the parade with both parents, with the father, Jason Roberts, unhurt.

Due to the severity of his spinal cord injury, doctors are unsure whether Cooper will ever walk again, according to Loizzi, a colleague of the mother, who is superintendent of a Lake County elementary school district.

Cooper, a normally “very active” child with a passion for baseball and other sports, has remained unconscious and under sedation since he was airlifted to the University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital, Loizzi said.

The mother, who underwent at least two surgeries herself, was so distraught at Cooper’s condition that she insisted on being released on Wednesday, sooner than doctors felt was best until her bleeding was under greater control, in order to be with her son at the children’s hospital, Loizzi said.

The boy has undergone several operations, including one on Wednesday night in which surgeons “finally closed his belly,” the spokesman said.

Although not informed about the specifics of Cooper’s prognosis, Loizzi told reporters the boy’s mother and an adult sister spoke about how “it will be a new normal for him going forward.”

“He’s fighting as hard as he can,” Loizzi said of the boy’s recovery. The family as a whole, including four adult sisters, were “devastated but focusing their energy on Cooper,” he said.

“It’s been a very emotional time for everyone in their circle,” he said, adding he did not know whether Luke had yet been apprised of the severity of his twin’s condition.

Loizzi said both boys “loved the parade” and had attended the event in the past, but he did not know where along the parade route they were when the gunshots were fired.

Friends of the family established a GoFundMe page seeking to help address their medical bills.

The Roberts were not the only family suffering multiple casualties from the bloodshed in Highland Park, Illinois.

Among those killed were Irina McCarthy, 35, and her husband Kevin McCarthy, 37, whose 2-year-old son was found wandering unhurt physically, but alone and orphaned after the attack.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
And that's the horrible fucking truth.
No, here's the fucking truth.

They're not willing to give up their AR-15 Rambo guns, even for perfectly serviceable M1 Garands (the gun that won World War II) or Winchester lever-action rifles (the gun that won the West, and that Zehauf-Bibeau used to murder Cpl Cirillo, in case you wondered about it's effectiveness).

The only sane conclusion is they WANT mass murderers to be able to put 100+ rounds downrange in less than a minute, as long as they can have their surrogate penises.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I own a Browning BAR Mk III DBM, which is clip-fed and uses 10-round clips that can be rapidly changed, and a Kel-Tec SUB-2000 pistol-caliber carbine with 30-round clips. And as soon as we smarten up, I will turn them in without compensation and get me a bolt-action or lever-action rifle. And I'll turn in my Glock semi-auto pistols and get a Ruger .357 Magnum revolver (I already have a snub-nose Smith & Wesson .38 revolver, like the plainclothes detectives carried in all the old cop movies).

Last edited:
Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
No, here's the fucking truth.

They're not willing to give up their AR-15 Rambo guns, even for perfectly serviceable M1 Garands (the gun that won World War II) or Winchester lever-action rifles (the gun that won the West, and that Zehauf-Bibeau used to murder Cpl Cirillo, in case you wondered about it's effectiveness).

Because in the end, it's about how to kill someone faster/bloodier/dirtier.

The only sane conclusion is they WANT mass murderers to be able to put 100+ rounds downrange in less than a minute, as long as they can have their surrogate penises.

Exactly.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I own a Browning BAR Mk III DBM, which is clip-fed and uses 10-round clips that can be rapidly changed, and a Kel-Tec SUB-2000 pistol-caliber carbine with 30-round clips. And as soon as we smarten up, I will turn them in without compensation and get me a bolt-action or lever-action rifle. And I'll turn in my Glock semi-auto pistols and get a Ruger .357 Magnum revolver (I already have a snub-nose Smith & Wesson .38 revolver, like the plainclothes detectives carried in all the old cop movies).

I don't own guns, but I respect them. I did enjoy shooting them when I was in Air Cadets and if it wasn't for timing I would have gone to the 6 week course which they taught Rifle Instruction (how to be a range officer, IIRC).

But I will never, ever, get the absolute childish need to have the security blanket guns that so many Americans demand they need. I will never understand being so AFRAID of their 'fellow citizens' that they feel the need for enough firepower to make them wannabe soldiers.

I will never get this.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
July 4th parade attack suspect indicted for murder, attempted murder
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Publishing date:Jul 27, 2022 • 18 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation

CHICAGO — The man accused of opening fire on an Independence Day parade in suburban Chicago has been indicted by a grand jury on 21 first-degree murder counts, 48 counts of attempted murder and 48 counts of aggravated battery.

Prosecutors previously filed seven murder charges against Robert E. Crimo III. They announced the grand jury’s decision to indict him on 117 felony charges on Wednesday.

Attorneys for Crimo have not made a formal response yet to any of the charges he faces in the July Fourth shooting that killed seven people, wounded more than 30, and sent spectators fleeing the parade route in downtown Highland Park, Illinois.

Prosecutors have said Crimo, 21, admitted to the shooting when police arrested him following an hourslong search on July 4.

Under Illinois law, prosecutors can ask a grand jury to determine whether there is probable cause to proceed to trial. Grand jury proceedings aren’t open to the public and defense attorneys cannot cross-examine witnesses.

Authorities have said the wounded range in age from 8 to their 80s, including an 8-year-old boy who was paralyzed from the waist down when the shooting severed his spine.

During a court hearing presenting the murder charges, Lake County prosecutors said police found more than 80 spent shell casings on the rooftop of a building along the parade route and the semi-automatic rifle used in the attack on the ground nearby.

Investigators believe the accused gunman blended in with the fleeing crowd to get away from the scene, then borrowed his mother’s car and briefly contemplated a second attack on a celebration in Madison, Wisconsin, before returning to Illinois where police arrested him.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Because in the end, it's about how to kill someone faster/bloodier/dirtier.

Exactly.

I don't own guns, but I respect them. I did enjoy shooting them when I was in Air Cadets and if it wasn't for timing I would have gone to the 6 week course which they taught Rifle Instruction (how to be a range officer, IIRC).

But I will never, ever, get the absolute childish need to have the security blanket guns that so many Americans demand they need. I will never understand being so AFRAID of their 'fellow citizens' that they feel the need for enough firepower to make them wannabe soldiers.

I will never get this.
A lot more Americans served in the military than Canadians. Since the government trained them to use guns at an early age perhaps this is part of the reason.
I like guns, have hunted and spent lots of time in remote areas with high grizzly populations but never felt the need to pack a gun at work. Some people do though. With the current round of criminals shooting each other around Vancouver area I can see why people might want some protection since the current crop of gangsters are too stupid to keep their battles private. The probability of them ever using a gun in self defence is probably close to zero but things are getting worse there, not better.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
A lot more Americans served in the military than Canadians. Since the government trained them to use guns at an early age perhaps this is part of the reason.
I like guns, have hunted and spent lots of time in remote areas with high grizzly populations but never felt the need to pack a gun at work. Some people do though. With the current round of criminals shooting each other around Vancouver area I can see why people might want some protection since the current crop of gangsters are too stupid to keep their battles private. The probability of them ever using a gun in self defence is probably close to zero but things are getting worse there, not better.
About 35% of U.S. mass shooters are veterans. Even though that's disproportionate, I'd expect it to be higher if veteran status were an important factor.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Child victim of Highland Park mass shooting paralyzed and in pain
Author of the article:Liz Braun
Publishing date:Aug 18, 2022 • 14 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation
Cooper Roberts, 8, remains in a lot of pain and paralyzed after suffering a severed spinal cord from a gunshot wound to his chest in the July Fourth attack on a Chicago-area parade.
Cooper Roberts, 8, remains in a lot of pain and paralyzed after suffering a severed spinal cord from a gunshot wound to his chest in the July Fourth attack on a Chicago-area parade. PHOTO BY COOPER FAMILY /GoFundMe
Cooper Roberts is paralyzed from the waist down.

The eight-year-old was shot in the chest in the mass shooting at the Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, Illinois.

Seven people were killed and dozens injured by a gunman who fired into the holiday crowd from a rooftop on the parade route.

CNN reports that the Roberts family has released a statement in the hope of shedding light on the horrible reality of these shootings.

They want the world to know their little boy, formerly active, athletic and carefree, is angry and in constant pain as he comes to terms with his new normal.

Cooper’s spinal cord was severed in the shooting. He will not walk again.

He has undergone many surgeries and spent a month in paediatric Intensive Care.

He is now in a rehab facility, where he remains in constant pain from the internal wounds that are still healing.

“There are layers upon layers of cruelty with being shot by a sniper. Most people don’t witness the grueling aftermath of surviving these devastating wounds,” the family statement said.

“He’s an 8-year-old boy who feels hopeless, sad and angry as the reality of his life is setting in.”

The Roberts family has regularly updated people on Cooper’s condition.

Cooper’s mother Keely was also shot in the leg and foot during the parade.

Cooper’s twin brother, Luke, had shrapnel wounds but has physically recovered.

Cooper, the family statement continued, “is on a constant IV drip of antibiotics to ward off infection, has swelling that obscures the full internal picture, and suffers stomach pain as his body relearns to process mainly liquid food. He remains on heavy painkillers.”

According to his parents, Cooper has begun to understand the severity of his situation. Physically, he is undergoing therapy despite having two ports, a catheter and various tubes coming out of his body.

Emotionally, the child is homesick and misses his family; they can only visit him once a week of because of COVID protocols.

“It is very hard to convince Cooper that he will be happy again,” the family said.

“Of course, we are beyond grateful for his survival, and we know others weren’t as fortunate, but we want people to know his path/our path will be a very long and hard road.”

Friends of the family have organized a GoFundMe to cover medical bills — which will be massive— and for all the treatments, therapy, and all of the equipment, devices and changes to the family home that Cooper’s condition will require.

The fundraiser is getting close to a goal of $2 million.