Girl, 10, coming to Canada killed at Taliban checkpoint
Author of the article:
Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Hina Alam
Publishing date:
Dec 17, 2021 • 11 hours ago • 3 minute read •
Join the conversation
A woman wearing a burqa and a child walk past Taliban fighters along a roadside in Jalalabad on Dec. 12, 2021.
A woman wearing a burqa and a child walk past Taliban fighters along a roadside in Jalalabad on Dec. 12, 2021. Photo by WAKIL KOHSAR /AFP via Getty Images
Article content

A 10-year-old girl who was approved to come with her family to Canada from Afghanistan was killed when gunfire erupted at a Taliban checkpoint.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Eleanor Taylor of the group Aman Lara, an organization that helps Afghans get out of the country, said the little girl named Nafiza was shot and killed while the family was travelling back from a wedding late in the evening of Dec. 10.

The father’s aunt was also killed and three others were injured, she said.

Aman Lara is only giving out first names to protect the safety of the remainder of the family.

Removing the girl’s name from their evacuation list was one of the most difficult things her group has done while working in the battle-scarred country, Taylor said.

“It’s such a horrible thing. Just such a horrible thing,” she said in an interview.

“They were the lucky ones who had approved applications, but they still couldn’t get out. And, you know, they’re now going to get out without their daughter.”
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

She paused.

“It gives it a finality in a terrible way.”

Nafiza’s father, Bashir, worked as a carpenter for the Canadian military at a camp the Taliban knew well, she said.

Alexander Cohen, spokesman for Immigration Minister Sean Fraser, confirmed the girl’s death and called it “tragic and heartbreaking.”

“We condemn this senseless act of violence by the Taliban, and our thoughts are with her family at this extremely difficult time,” he said in a statement.

The family of five, Bashir and his wife, and three children including Nafiza, were approved for resettlement to Canada. But they didn’t have passports, so they had to go to Kandahar to collect them and attended a wedding while waiting for their documents, Taylor said.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Bashir released a statement about his daughter through Aman Lara.

His little girl, the dad said was “extremely excited” about moving to Canada.

“Nafiza was in the process of learning English prior to the takeover of her country,” he said.

“She had been at the top of her class in school.”

Bashir “strongly feels” that his family was targeted because of his work with the Canadian Forces, Taylor said.

She has heard stories of Canada-bound Afghans who put themselves in extreme danger to get their documents, she said.

“But this is just tragic. Their names were on the manifest, on the evacuation list. They were so close.”

The brutality of the Taliban, Cohen said, remains the chief obstacle in helping Afghan refugees escape to safety in Canada.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

The Canadian government has promised to bring in 40,000 Afghan refugees, although the immigration minister has predicted it could take up to two years to fulfil that promise.

Cohen said the government is working to process applications as quickly as possible, and while there are thousands in Afghanistan whose applications have been processed, leaving the country has been a challenge due to Taliban interference.

“We continue to work with our allies, and an array of other partners, to find new routes for Afghans to leave the country and make their way to Canada.”

Taylor said she understands that it will take time to bring people from Afghanistan to Canada, but a solution needs to be found so Afghans can get out easily.

“It just underscores the terrible risk that these people are taking to find a way to get out of Afghanistan to take advantage of the possibility that awaits them in Canada,” she said.

“It is imperative that we all work to find a pathway for these people, especially those without passports.”

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
People don't think that.. it's people just like you and me.. trying to survive the day and put food on the table for the family and a roof over their heads..

Simple people.. trying to raise a family..

Life for the majority isn't very glamorous

R.jpg

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
God you really are stupid.. seriously TDS

No, it's that Trump was the one to invite the Taliban to the US to negotiate a time of withdraw.

It was Trump that helped to set up this time of withdraw.

It was Trump who hailed this time a 'success'.

And it was Biden who had to deal with the fallout.

Now, do I think it was smart, regardless of who was in charge? Hell no. Do I think Biden handled it well? Hell no. Actually I disagree with everything of how that removal happened.

But I'm also not blind to lay the blame on Biden when it was only partly his fault, and the timeline is Trump's, NOT Biden's.

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No, it's that Trump was the one to invite the Taliban to the US to negotiate a time of withdraw.

It was Trump that helped to set up this time of withdraw.

It was Trump who hailed this time a 'success'.

And it was Biden who had to deal with the fallout.

Now, do I think it was smart, regardless of who was in charge? Hell no. Do I think Biden handled it well? Hell no. Actually I disagree with everything of how that removal happened.

But I'm also not blind to lay the blame on Biden when it was only partly his fault, and the timeline is Trump's, NOT Biden's.
Remember, everything was going just great in Afghanistan, and we were winning so much we'd get tired of winning!

Then Biden stole the election and we lost. Because it's all Biden's fault.

And, of course, because MAGA!

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah