Olympic chat

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I started chatting in the other thread made by karrie and realized it was for behind the scenes...

Thus I thought I would start this brag/cry thread.

Canada jut had a good skate in the couples but they don't look so happy with their scores....US is up next.

1 gold
2 silver
1 bronze.....

Gooooooooooooo Canda :canada:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Great Britain are 14th in the medals table, with one bronze.

One more medal, though, and we double our total 2010 tally.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I started chatting in the other thread made by karrie and realized it was for behind the scenes...

Thus I thought I would start this brag/cry thread.

Canada jut had a good skate in the couples but they don't look so happy with their scores....US is up next.

1 gold
2 silver
1 bronze.....

Gooooooooooooo Canda :canada:

Nice... good job!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Just don't give the us Yanks a hard time when the US teams lose in hockey!

Oh... in advance....

...If the US Women's Hockey team lose the Gold Medal to Canada... they will not have looks of glee on their face. They will not be excited and happy. I'm just letting everyone know ahead of time. ;)

Is that OK everyone?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

Oh... in advance....

...If the US Women's Hockey team lose the Gold Medal to Canada... they will not have looks of glee on their face. They will not be excited and happy. I'm just letting everyone know ahead of time. ;)

Is that OK everyone?
it's okey dokey with me if I were on the losing team after working that hard I would be wailing. They all try so hard from all the countries...and for me at my age, a kid is a kid...I feel for all of them.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
it's okey dokey with me if I were on the losing team after working that hard I would be wailing. They all try so hard from all the countries...and for me at my age, a kid is a kid...I feel for all of them.

I'm just speaking historically in here... the US Girls Hockey Team never seem to look happy enough for some after losing the Gold Medal game.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

Oh... in advance....

Is that OK everyone?

none of them will have smiles on their faces when they lose,
men or women, they are not going there to lose, and this is
for all the marbles, its not about, 'lets just play and who cares who wins', thats for brackets that
don't get to this level. its intense, its serious, and that is what is 'fun' for them.
i don't expect either the u.s. team or the canadian teams to have a
smile on their faces when they lose, they should be 'pissed' off.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
for all the marbles, its not about, 'lets just play and who cares who wins', thats for brackets that
don't get to this level. its intense, its serious, and that is what is 'fun' for them.

Which kind of goes against the whole purpose of sports/recreation- a time and method of getting away from the rigors and worries of normal life, clocks, deadlines etc. Time to give your blood pressure a break and "recharge your batteries".

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

That's right Tall... 100% Props.

Which kind of goes against the whole purpose of sports/recreation- a time and method of getting away from the rigors and worries of normal life, clocks, deadlines etc. Time to give your blood pressure a break and "recharge your batteries".

Those sports are for you and me JLM. In the Olympics, Pros, College... it is about winning.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

the whole purpose of sports and recreation is an individual choice, as many very competetive people find
the 'just for fun' approach very boring and without purpose, no fun for them, they want a challenge,
they want to be the best they can, they strive for excellence, so that is 'their' fun, can't put
everyone in the same box, as individuals have very different views of how to enjoy sports.

the recreational side of sports is for those who just want the excercise,
have no interest in being competetive, and that is how 'they' enjoy
sports.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I suppose, I guess we just have nothing to prove. -:)

no, thats not right, you aren't interested in doing what is necessary to prove your sports
endeavors to anyone, you just want to play for fun, nothing wrong with that.

and the best and most competetive people in the world, even when they are pissed off, will
take their hat off, turn, and shake hands with the person who just beat them, good sportsmanship,
but they still don't have to be happy about it, if they didn't care, they would never become
that good, they care a lot, hence they are willing to practice more than you ever would, and
find good information to help them get better and better, they are dedicated.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
no, thats not right, you aren't interested in doing what is necessary to prove your sports
endeavors to anyone, you just want to play for fun, nothing wrong with that.
Plus the fact, I'm not particularly muscular or have the stature (5'7") for many sports.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well, IMO, a person can have fun and be competitive at the same time. It's why I've played rugby (mostly union) for some 40 years. I love the challenge of keeping up with the kids and even trying to keep up with the best of them, too. And I'd make a bet that a lot of sports people get a lot of fun from the challenge and competition, especially the best ones.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, IMO, a person can have fun and be competitive at the same time. It's why I've played rugby (mostly union) for some 40 years. I love the challenge of keeping up with the kids and even trying to keep up with the best of them, too. And I'd make a bet that a lot of sports people get a lot of fun from the challenge and competition, especially the best ones.

I too, enjoy being competitive whether it's bowling or playing scrabble or crib, but winning for me is not an absolute obsession. We have a couple of real A$$holes at bowling, if they take out the head pin or throw one in the gutter you can't talk to them, one guy kicks the ball return and throws his towel on the floor. I'm talking about people in their 30s. Thank God there's only a couple of them.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I too, enjoy being competitive whether it's bowling or playing scrabble or crib, but winning for me is not an absolute obsession. We have a couple of real A$$holes at bowling, if they take out the head pin or throw one in the gutter you can't talk to them, one guy kicks the ball return and throws his towel on the floor. I'm talking about people in their 30s. Thank God there's only a couple of them.

those types definitely didn't get the memo explaining how to be a complete competetor, they are losers.
one can see them at every type of sporting event, the human race definitely has its flaws.