No respect for bicycles...

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I don't own a car and have been commuting on a bicycle for the better part of 25 years with no accidents. I do not ride on sidewalks and follow all rules of the road. It's called Vehicular Cycling. I wear a helmet, my bike is in tip top mechanical shape and I have full off road lights, rear blinkies and reflective tape and stickers all down the sides.

It is not against the law in Ontario to pass on the right if it is safe to do so. This means I can legally pass a line of stopped cars and jump to the head of the line. Cagers don't like it, tough, go buy a bike. I can get across London faster than a bus and in heavy traffic do not give up much to a car.

Bicycles are cheap, environmentally good and excellent exercise machines. The road bike is the most efficient form of transport there is.

Reactions: L Gilbert

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It is not against the law in Ontario to pass on the right if it is safe to do so. This means I can legally pass a line of stopped cars and jump to the head of the line. Cagers don't like it, tough, go buy a bike. I can get across London faster than a bus and in heavy traffic do not give up much to a car.
Then don't be surprised when you get run over by a car that isn't expecting to be passed on the right by a bicycle.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well, passing them at a red light they probably won't be moving ;) It's not impossible though. My eyes are darting about like a hawk when I approach an intersection, and by now I know all the spots at the traffic lights in town where there could be trouble, unless someone decides to drive up onto the curb.

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
not to sound like i'm against the cyclists or make it ok what the motorists are doing, but i'm sure pedestrians and cyclists are not very considerate to the motor vehicles either. J-walking for example, and a few other things mentioned in this thread.
I think one of the best solutions would be to have designated bike lanes, now i understand that some towns can't afford it or theres no room for them, but if u are saying u live in a really small town, traffic on the other hand shouldn't be that busy.
I dunno i guess it all depends where you are, but i have to agree...motorists are very careless around us pedestrians and cyclists when we share the road with them. But i wouldn't blame it all on them, we definitely make mistakes too. But i see where u come from, we as cyclists can be killed instantly whereas those in there couple tone tanks wouldn't ever have to worry about being killing in a crash with a cyclist.
Maybe enforcing stricter laws could help with these sort of problems also. Just an opinion :).

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Most cyclists here simply ignore the rules motorists are obliged to observe. So they're not respected. Few stop at red lights or stop signs, few signal. I guess they think they're special. And so they get a bad name.

My goodness Tamarin - I smell a bit of exaggeration. Maybe you are just trolling cyclists.

Pangloss

Reactions: Tonington

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Pangloss, nope, just stating the facts. Cyclists seldom obey the rules of the road in town here. The police don't enforce and so they generally do as they please. They simply don't get it.
What irks me most are cyclists who insist on running their bikes on bad weather days. For instance today. Slush almost two inches deep on most morning offroads in town and there they are. Booting it down the street unaware one slip of the wheel and it's all over.