New hospital video of patient's death over mask dispute raises questions

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

To be clear - this wasn't a protest. She was in the hospital for respitory issues. She was having trouble breathing and sat down out of the way of people and pulled her mask down to breathe for a minute. She was wearing it prior to that.

They attacked her, pushed her against the wall and on the ground, and she died because she couldn't breathe due to their attack. These facts are not in dispute.

A judge is saying essentially that they didn't know this would lead to her death so it cant' be murder. But these guards are getting off the hook when their clearly unnecessary actions without properly investigating the situation directly lead to an innocent woman's death.

This is horrific - and this is what our whole "covid paranoia" culture has brought us to. People who "refuse to wear a mask" (even if it's because they can't breathe at the moment) are allowed to be attacked without further investigation or comment and if they die oh well, sweep it under the rug.

• Sad
Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Doesn't this just sound a little bit like the George Floyd case? Just sayin'
You know it's funny, i was just thinking that. Except without the resisting arrest and drug use parts. And she hadn't committed any actual crime worthy of arrest. Yet these people are skating away without so much as a slap on the wrist.

The judge should have let it go to trial. That's where you determine if it's a lawful homicide, not while both sides haven't presented their evidence. And while I might accept the idea that they didn't intend to kill her (which murder requires), there's at the very least grounds for manslaughter or negligence causing death, and that should be tried.

I mean hell- she JUST tested negative for covid.

It's just disgusting that the whole covid hate-rage is leading to people being killed and others covering it up.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Shame the medical mask wasn’t exchanged for an oxygen mask before/instead of this confrontation. Guess that’s Monday morning quarterbacking though.

Wonder how long she was sitting in that chair struggling to breathe before the four Security personnel confronted her in that chair? More or less than seven hours for example….

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Guard blames 'anxiety' for moving camera away from woman who died
Author of the article:Joe Warmington
Published Jan 18, 2023 • 2 minute read

Why did a security guard turn the surveillance camera away when patient Stephanie Warriner was pushed by peers against a Toronto General Hospital wall?

And what happened in those missing three minutes?

With manslaughter charges dropped against two guards, a jury will never be asked. But according to testimony in pre-trial transcripts, the guard operating the camera suffered “anxiety” and veered the recording device toward a hallway.

Warriner, who suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (“COPD”) and lived with a bipolar disorder, died 16-days after an interaction with security guards at Toronto General Hospital.

A judge dismissed charges of manslaughter and criminal negligence causing death against two security guards, Amanda Rojas-Silva and Shane Hutley.

Security video captured some of what happened in her dispute over the placement of her COVID-19 mask before the camera moves. Moments later, she’s seen motionless in a wheelchair with her legs and feet dangling.

Transcripts of a preliminary hearing for the manslaughter case reveal that on May 11, 2020, security guard Kyle Bryson was operating the camera.

Bryson was grilled on the witness stand by assistant Crown attorney Brent Kettles.

Kettles: “At any point did you move the camera away from the incident?”

Bryson: “I did.”

Kettles: “Why did you do that?”

Bryson: “I had really bad anxiety, and … when I saw Ms. Rojas go toward the patient, like run toward the patient, I guess you could say, against the wall, I panicked, I blanked out, I just – things bothered me, I guess. I’m not really a hands-on type of person and I was just – my anxiety went through the roof and I just turned quickly. I didn’t have any sort – I had a couple of moments to like think about it, but like not long enough.”

Kettles: “So, what was it about this interaction that made you anxious?”

Bryson: “I guess the fact, that I didn’t know what was happening. That the patient may or may not have had COVID . . . My colleagues — well, at least Amanda that I saw at the time was there, and I was worried, I was worried about what could happen … I was worried what could happen to the patient or my colleagues.”

Kettles: “What bothered you about it?

Bryson: “Just the use of force part of it, I guess.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Family of woman who died after mask dispute sues UHN for $16M
Author of the article:Joe Warmington
Published Jan 18, 2023 • 2 minute read

Following manslaughter charges against two security guards being tossed, the family of a woman who died after a COVID-19 mask dispute at Toronto General Hospital is now pursuing civil action.

“The family of Stephanie Warriner has commenced a $16-million lawsuit against University Health Network and five security guards involved in the 2020 hospital death of Stephanie Warriner,” said a press release from Falconers LLP, adding it’s their “honour” to represent the dead woman’s sibliing, “Denise Warriner-Smith, as she continues to fight for justice for her sister Stephanie.”

The 43-year-old, mother of five who suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (“COPD”) and lived with a bipolar disorder, died 16-days after an interaction with security. Hospital security video, which captured the incident, shows her being challenged about why she was wearing her mask on her chin.

The video shows Stephanie struggling for breath and sitting on a chair before a female guard approaches her.

“Stephanie explained to the security guards that she had left her room to get a sandwich, and that she was struggling to breathe,” alleged Falconers. “The security guards were aware that Stephanie was not only in obvious respiratory distress but was also suffering from mental health issues. “

The situation escalated, according to the allegations.

“Instead of getting Stephanie the medical attention she required, the security guards berated Stephanie, pushed her against the wall and to the ground, and restrained her in the prone position with weight applied to her back,” alleged Falconers. “As a result of this use of force, Stephanie went into cardiac arrest and ultimately died.”

None of the allegations raised by the law firm have been tested in court.

Justice Sean Dunphy dismissed charges of manslaughter and criminal negligence causing death against two security guards, Amanda Rojas-Silva and Shane Hutley.

Ontario’s Attorney General ministry said after “carefully considering the matter, the Crown “decided not to appeal” and “has no further comment.” Denise Warriner-Smith said she was “shocked” by that decision.

The University Health Network did not respond Wednesday to requests for comment about the lawsuit. When asked Saturday about the criminal case, spokesperson Gillian Howard said “UHN will not comment on a court’s decision nor on matters of individual employment of discipline.”

In their release, Falconers noted “despite video footage and witness testimony, the Superior Court of Justice released a decision on Nov. 22, 2022, quashing the order of committal on both counts.”