NDP Leading in Alberta Again

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Alberta has always been pure and snowy, how can this be?

Kenney's UCP bleeding support to Notley's NDP as Opposition support nears 40%, poll suggests​

Jason Kenney's governing United Conservative Party has lost support to the opposition NDP for the first time in its brief history, a poll released Thursday suggests.

In its latest Viewpoint Alberta survey, researchers with the University of Alberta and the University of Saskatchewan's Common Ground project found that for the first time since the party's founding three years ago, UCP support has swung significantly and directly to the NDP.

The poll pegs the NDP at 39.1 per cent support — a level of popularity not seen since the 2015 provincial election — compared with 29.8 per cent for the UCP.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I don;
Not a chance 😂😂
I wouldn’t be so sure. I live in BC but have commuted to Alberta for work since 2013, so I saw the NDP come and go. In my mind they did just fine given the hand they were dealt with the oil price crash and the Ft. Mac wildfires. By the end of their tenure things had recovered nicely, although the gravy days of $100/bbl oil are long gone. Kenney, on the other hand, came in on the upswing the NDP put into play and started making enemies right away. He started his run by cutting big fat cheques to the oil producers who really couldn’t care less, and proceeded to slash and burn government services, still putting all his eggs in the oil basket. Granted he still has two years to go in his term, but he’s going to need something up his sleeve for sure.

Interesting bit in the news a few days back on how Norway’s Sovereign Fund, their public hope chest answer to Alberta’s Heritage Fund, now swollen to something around $1.3 trillion ( returning over $100 billion a year from investments ) has dumped its shares in four oilsands producers; CNRL, Suncor, Cenovus, and Imperial Oil, citing unsustainable and heavily polluting business practices. This might seem like a wholly political move, but it does have the effect of reducing the market capitalization of these operators, making it harder for them to secure bank funding, along with the PR headshot that turns away private investors. It just makes it harder for them to operate in an industry that looks more and more to be moving into its sunset years.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don;

I wouldn’t be so sure. I live in BC but have commuted to Alberta for work since 2013, so I saw the NDP come and go. In my mind they did just fine given the hand they were dealt with the oil price crash and the Ft. Mac wildfires. By the end of their tenure things had recovered nicely, although the gravy days of $100/bbl oil are long gone. Kenney, on the other hand, came in on the upswing the NDP put into play and started making enemies right away. He started his run by cutting big fat cheques to the oil producers who really couldn’t care less, and proceeded to slash and burn government services, still putting all his eggs in the oil basket. Granted he still has two years to go in his term, but he’s going to need something up his sleeve for sure.

Interesting bit in the news a few days back on how Norway’s Sovereign Fund, their public hope chest answer to Alberta’s Heritage Fund, now swollen to something around $1.3 trillion ( returning over $100 billion a year from investments ) has dumped its shares in four oilsands producers; CNRL, Suncor, Cenovus, and Imperial Oil, citing unsustainable and heavily polluting business practices. This might seem like a wholly political move, but it does have the effect of reducing the market capitalization of these operators, making it harder for them to secure bank funding, along with the PR headshot that turns away private investors. It just makes it harder for them to operate in an industry that looks more and more to be moving into its sunset years.
You can thank turdOWE for making investment in Canadian oil and gas a risky investment. Note that Norway is still drilling off shore.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Alberta has always been pure and snowy, how can this be?

Kenney's UCP bleeding support to Notley's NDP as Opposition support nears 40%, poll suggests​

Jason Kenney's governing United Conservative Party has lost support to the opposition NDP for the first time in its brief history, a poll released Thursday suggests.

In its latest Viewpoint Alberta survey, researchers with the University of Alberta and the University of Saskatchewan's Common Ground project found that for the first time since the party's founding three years ago, UCP support has swung significantly and directly to the NDP.

The poll pegs the NDP at 39.1 per cent support — a level of popularity not seen since the 2015 provincial election — compared with 29.8 per cent for the UCP.

So an article from CBC, a known communist sympathizer. Did they do the poll in a government office?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
The Canadian way isn’t to elect new leaders, it’s to fire the old ones. And right now Jason Kenney isn’t racking up any fan points. It is what it is. Jobs are disappearing, wages are dropping, people are pissed. Kenney keeps pointing at Ottawa but people here are having trouble believing him.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Mid-term polls are never reliable. I doubt Alberta will go NDP again. The ones saying NDP now will hold their nose and vote whatever PC party is available when the time comes.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Mid-term polls are never reliable. I doubt Alberta will go NDP again. The ones saying NDP now will hold their nose and vote whatever PC party is available when the time comes.
Alberta is Conservative country, and if the Conservative vote hadn’t been split by the Wildrose party in 2015 the NDP likely wouldn’t have gotten in, but they did manage 40% of the popular vote and them ain’t small potatoes.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
The graphic shows a steady decline in support for the UCP as support for Notely’s NDP has risen. Traditional Conservative policies of low taxes and small government works fine when everybody is making good money, but everybody is not making good money in Alberta these days. Social programs are in need now more than ever and Kenney continues to gut public porgrams. His push for a two-tier medicare system simply means better care for those who can afford it.

As in man other areas of the globe, the pandemic is forcing a tectonic shift in the fiscal structure of Canada’s economy. Alberta is on course to lose its position as “Canada’s richest province” to BC, and could conceivably become a “have-not” province which is already sending ripples through the federal equalization program. Without the billions in oil revenues Alberta once contributed the cupboards in Ottawa are looking barer.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
If Oil prices keep going up the poll will be moot in 2 years
And if the producers can weather the growing storm of anti-oil sentiment. And if enough jobs come back to get a majority of voters to get back on the UCP bandwagon. And if Kenney can stop making enemies. Lots of ifs going around.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There will be a leadership run after covid1984.

You don't need to be a rocket surgeon to figure out natural gas is replacing coal in China and India going gas is necessary. India is a massive market. NG is the future. Just ask 'mericans, fracking massively reduced emissions.

Canada fell waaaaay behind. We are too stupid to exclusively fuel ourselves let alone make money at it.

Last edited:

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
And if the producers can weather the growing storm of anti-oil sentiment. And if enough jobs come back to get a majority of voters to get back on the UCP bandwagon. And if Kenney can stop making enemies. Lots of ifs going around.
Oil prices rule the Western economy if the prices go up so will servicing and drilling replacement wells

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Big Foot is stealing all the oil.

“The significance of these polls is less to me than it should be to Jason Kenney.

“They should show him that what he’s been doing is not acceptable to Albertans, and that they need him to change course.”