Nanaimo's naked bungee jump for mental health

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

In Nanaimo,they get naked and tie themselves to a giant elastic band and throw themselves from a great height. Then bounce around naked at the bottom for a bit.

Outdoors, In frikkin' March.

While wearing a Covid mask for safety reasons apparently because while plunging a hundred feet hoping the rope holds is one thing but you wouldn't want to take a risk with your health by not wearing a covid mask outdoors.

You can see the girl's boobs in the picture are covered up discreetly by a picture of their official cartoon mascot, Mr Handsy. A character entirely appropriate to a naked bungee jump.

And the reason for all of this is to promote mental health.

Don't ever tell me this province is a boring place to live :)

Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
In your parents basement i assume :) Or at the very least with your head in the sand.

And there's something fundamentally wrong if you went to that event and what you noticed was the trestle.

Nanaimo is a fun place if you're not a slug to begin with, and the event is kinda fun and humorous and worth sharing. Especially the part where they wear masks for 'safety' :)

But apparently you're the kind of person who sees naked bungee jumping and thinks "man, i must urgently go and try to make this sound dull and think of something negative to say".

I take it nobody wanted to be your friend in Nanaimo? Condolences, it's actually pretty cool if you know where to go and what to do.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
In your parents basement i assume :) Or at the very least with your head in the sand.

And there's something fundamentally wrong if you went to that event and what you noticed was the trestle.

Nanaimo is a fun place if you're not a slug to begin with, and the event is kinda fun and humorous and worth sharing. Especially the part where they wear masks for 'safety' :)

But apparently you're the kind of person who sees naked bungee jumping and thinks "man, i must urgently go and try to make this sound dull and think of something negative to say".

I take it nobody wanted to be your friend in Nanaimo? Condolences, it's actually pretty cool if you know where to go and what to do.
That is probably why it is called Nanaimhole .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My parent's are alive? Far out.

Its fun? What's fun? Dodging the homeless and meth rats? The crime is insane. The food is mediocre. The weather sucks. The traffic sucks. Parks are abandoned coal mines and reak of coal gas. The pulp mill stinks. Rivers are either too high or too low to fish. Theatre and music require alcohol to enjoy.

But soggy boobs....

I'd rather go to Winnipeg.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
That is probably why it is called Nanaimhole .
That might just be you who calls it that bud :)

Frankly fun people can make just about anywhere fun, but Nanaimo is a good place. Like i said, if you're not a slug to begin with. Hell they even invented those little bars :)

No matter what place you mention there's someone who's going to say it's terrible. A lot of people make the same comments about the island in general. But - there's a lot of good people and a lot of fun things to do and it's not a bad place to raise your kids. I"ve got great friends and family doing just that right now there in nanaimo.

And i hear it's been an even better place to live for the last.. oh, about a year :)

But seriously, anyone who's big commet about a story about naked bungee jumping is that they don't like the town is in serious need of a personality review.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Sigh. You've never been there have you. What a sheltered life you've lived.

Imagine living in Regina and thinking Nanaimo is boring :) LOL!
Have you been to Nanaimo lately? The place has a serious drug problem. On a normal day the bungee jump is $100+

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
My parent's are alive? Far out.
Sure, why not? I hear turtles live for quite a while.

Its fun? What's fun? Dodging the homeless and meth rats? The crime is insane. The food is mediocre. The weather sucks. The traffic sucks. Parks are abandoned coal mines and reak of coal gas. The pulp mill stinks. Rivers are either too high or too low to fish. Theatre and music require alcohol to enjoy.

Sure kiddo :) Nothing but homeless people , no food etc etc.

BTW - Didn't we have a story the other day about squatting meth heads blowing up a home in your area? And it was like "another one"? Glad you got away from all those homeless methheads and moved somewhere they can't bother you :)

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Have you been to Nanaimo lately? The place has a serious drug problem. On a normal day the bungee jump is $100+
So does vancouver but i woudln't call it boring. I'm sure there's parts that are bad like everywhere these days.

100 bucks for a bungee jump sounds pretty fair if you're into that kind of thing.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Sure, why not? I hear turtles live for quite a while.

Sure kiddo :) Nothing but homeless people , no food etc etc.

BTW - Didn't we have a story the other day about squatting meth heads blowing up a home in your area? And it was like "another one"? Glad you got away from all those homeless methheads and moved somewhere they can't bother you :)
Pete never lived here. He just was unfortunate enough to find a construction project in Nanaimo to work on. I have lived in various places on the Island for 46 years. Nanaimo was a shithole then, and is worse now. Long ago it was a grubby little mill and mining town. Now, it is just a grubby little shithole with a serious drug problem and only a couple of mills and no mining.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Pete never lived here. He just was unfortunate enough to find a construction project in Nanaimo to work on.
Ahhh

Long ago it was a grubby little mill and mining town. Now, it is just a grubby little shithole with a serious drug problem and only a couple of mills and no mining.
Like i said, people say that about just about everywhere, including the island in general. There's craptonnes of people online who'll tell you there's not a single redeeming quality about ANY of the towns on the island.

I've had some great times with friends and family in Nanaimo, used to visit it pretty regular by land and sea, and I'm sure that there's lots of negatives just like there are anywhere (you think nanaimo has a drug problem? When was the last time you were at main and hastings in vancouver?)

But i'm sorry - i don't care where you've lived or what you've done or how grubby you think the town is, etc ... naked bungee jumping is amusing. Period. It's even more amusing if you wear covid masks to do it. And the little 'mr handsy' mascot cartoon for covering women's privates is nothing short of hilarious :) C'mon - you'd have to be dead inside not to get at least a smirk out of that stuff.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Maybe, but we have seen this for years.
ANd yes there are many little towns on the island that are grubby little shitholes. Most just started out as mining or logging towns with little thought to layout and mostly not much care, also a high rate of alcoholism and now drug abuse. The bright side is you only have to go a few miles to get into gorgeous backcountry thanks to the thousands of miles of logging road. Good fishing and hunting, or just roaring around. Which may explain the conditions of the towns. Most everyone is too busy playing to worry about where they live.
Not having any real data, but I believe the drug problem is directly related to the loss of good paying industrial jobs.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The bright side is you only have to go a few miles to get into gorgeous backcountry thanks to the thousands of miles of logging road. Good fishing and hunting, or just roaring around. Which may explain the conditions of the towns. Most everyone is too busy playing to worry about where they live.
Probably entirely true. If your only experience with many of those little places is sitting in the local coffee shop then you're not going to have the same impression as people who take advantage of the surrounding areas.

And i'm sure some areas are better than others. If you're spending all your time hanging with good friends doing stuff in the woods or on the water or in your backyards with the families etc then you're going to have a very different experience than someone who doesnt know anyone there and only hangs out 'downtown'.

Not having any real data, but I believe the drug problem is directly related to the loss of good paying industrial jobs
Well historically that's true all over the world so it certainly is entirely plausible. When people don't have a lot of opportunity they tend to turn to drugs and other similar things.

Mind you I know a lot of people who can work from home have moved there (housing is cheaper), and that was happening even before covid. I have a buddy who works for an american magazine company who lives there, makes great cash but doesn't need to go 'into an office'. I wonder if that trend will affect places like nanaimo more over time.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Mind you I know a lot of people who can work from home have moved there (housing is cheaper), and that was happening even before covid. I have a buddy who works for an american magazine company who lives there, makes great cash but doesn't need to go 'into an office'. I wonder if that trend will affect places like nanaimo more over time.
THis is true. But Most of the newbies that work from home live in the tonier neighbourhoods. They don't live or work in the downtown area. The same is happening all over the island. Lots of them here. Raise house prices to where locals cannot compete. Our restaurants can't get enough help because they don't pay well enough to even rent here.

Reactions: The_Foxer

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
THis is true. But Most of the newbies that work from home live in the tonier neighbourhoods. They don't live or work in the downtown area. The same is happening all over the island. Lots of them here. Raise house prices to where locals cannot compete. Our restaurants can't get enough help because they don't pay well enough to even rent here.
Well that's a bit of a problem in a lot of places of course. As newcomers put pressure on the major metro prices people "drive till they qualify" and that's going to put pressure on local prices.