My Visits To South Nanaimo

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Twice I tried to go fishing off Nanaimo last week but the fog was ridiculous but the charter guy gave me a freebie for Nov. when I go to Grey Cup.

Other than the impressions of the squatters at the Malaspina, I've always thought Nanaimo was a decent place. I've been through and stayed many times. My favourite fishing river is the Cowichan but Duncan is a hole and it was better to stay in Nanaimo.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When did they finally knock down the old eyesore of the Malaspina? It's been awhile since I've been downtown. I usually just drive from Duke Point and head to places beyond.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I assume the city got stuck with the demo and had to add that to the sale price of the land.

A box of matches and a Jerry can full of gas should have done nicely.

But then on second thought if they demolished it properly they could have salvaged a lot of valuable dimensional lumber and huge beams.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Pretty steep (topographically) chunk of property likely requiring $millions to do anything with.

Seems to me the first contractor went bankrupt. Then they squabbled for a year or two. There was an old mine entrance in there that didn't help anything very much.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A box of matches and a Jerry can full of gas should have done nicely.

But then on second thought if they demolished it properly they could have salvaged a lot of valuable dimensional lumber and huge beams.
And copper.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Seems to me the first contractor went bankrupt. Then they squabbled for a year or two. There was an old mine entrance in there that didn't help anything very much.

Yep, Nanaimo is sitting on a "honey comb" right from Extension out to East Wellington. Several years ago out in E.W. someone found out their house was being "supported" by a big hole. :lol:

And copper.

Actually I'm going to start another thread on that very subject.