Murder in courtenay

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
There was a murder in courtenay, outside of vanier high school, and close to a concert, on sat. night.

a 16 year old stabbed a 19 year old, who died from the injury.

it seems there was a gathering of people, and a fight broke out, not sure of any details after that,
only the outcome.

what a tragedy, close to home. my daughter took her sons to that concert, but knew nothing of the
trouble till today.

the 16 year old has been charged with murder.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This sort of thing is happening all too often now days. A few years back I seem to recall a severe incident of bullying or something similar at Vanier High.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's scary when that kind of violence comes so close. I'm sure it happens probably more than we realize but it's still a shock when it confronts us.

I remember years ago walking with my son through the Rideau Centre in Ottawa and, coming round the bend there was a huge crowd which parted just as we approached. There lying on the floor on her stomach was a woman who just moments before been stabbed, in fact the knife was still in her back. It took a few seconds to comprehend just what I was seeing, and what my five year old son was seeing, and once it registered I quickly shuttled him away. He still has very vivid recollections of the scene.

It still gives me a chill when I think about it. It was fortunate that your grandsons didn't have to bear witness.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
This sort of thing is happening all too often now days. A few years back I seem to recall a severe incident of bullying or something similar at Vanier High.

bullying happens everywhere JLM, its pretty common, and most schools have to deal with that problem from
time to time.
This incident actually has nothing to do with the school, school is out for the summer.

The group gathered in the area of the school. The concert was right across the street, and it seems
that the concert was the reason for many people to be close by.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
bullying happens everywhere JLM, its pretty common, and most schools have to deal with that problem from
time to time.
This incident actually has nothing to do with the school, school is out for the summer.

The group gathered in the area of the school. The concert was right across the street, and it seems
that the concert was the reason for many people to be close by.

Yep, "bullying" is a fact of life, my guess is it results in part at least by a lack of self esteem - just one step below those who are control freaks. :smile:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yep, "bullying" is a fact of life, my guess is it results in part at least by a lack of self esteem - just one step below those who are control freaks. :smile:

after reading article in the paper just now re: first degree murder charge, they explain that the stabbing
took place on headquarters, right at the entrance to the long driveway that leads eventually to the
school, so it happened much closer to the concert than the school.

apparantly the police arrived very shortly after the murder, witnesses told them which way the 16 yr old
had fled, and they picked him up very quickly after, and they have the knife.

this 16 yr old has no police record, and his friends say he was a 'good' kid, well, in my opinion that
description of him goes right out the window as soon as one knows he was packing a knife.

the victim was not with them, he came over when he noticed a friend of his being harrassed, and the
victim had no weapons, and nothing to do with the 16 yr old, or his friends.

I wonder how they made the charge so quickly, and I am wondering if he pleaded guilty. He will be under
the 'young offenders' act, and pleading guilty might be the smartest move he could make, as he will not
get near the sentence he 'should', or 'would' if he waited for a trial, that might be bumped up to adult
status.
All witnesses to the murder have been ordered to be quiet, and we won't hear much more than what I have
stated above for some time, unless he pleads guilty, and the verdict is read along with the story.

The victim graduated a year ago, very high grades, said to be a good person, and was at this time working for
B.C. Hydro, apprenticing to become an electrician.

I can't imagine how news like that would affect my family, how does any family heal from those kinds of
wounds, 'on both sides', but more so the family who will never see their son again.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
after reading article in the paper just now re: first degree murder charge, they explain that the stabbing
took place on headquarters, right at the entrance to the long driveway that leads eventually to the
school, so it happened much closer to the concert than the school.

apparantly the police arrived very shortly after the murder, witnesses told them which way the 16 yr old
had fled, and they picked him up very quickly after, and they have the knife.

this 16 yr old has no police record, and his friends say he was a 'good' kid, well, in my opinion that
description of him goes right out the window as soon as one knows he was packing a knife.

the victim was not with them, he came over when he noticed a friend of his being harrassed, and the
victim had no weapons, and nothing to do with the 16 yr old, or his friends.

I wonder how they made the charge so quickly, and I am wondering if he pleaded guilty. He will be under
the 'young offenders' act, and pleading guilty might be the smartest move he could make, as he will not
get near the sentence he 'should', or 'would' if he waited for a trial, that might be bumped up to adult
status.
All witnesses to the murder have been ordered to be quiet, and we won't hear much more than what I have
stated above for some time, unless he pleads guilty, and the verdict is read along with the story.

The victim graduated a year ago, very high grades, said to be a good person, and was at this time working for
B.C. Hydro, apprenticing to become an electrician.

I can't imagine how news like that would affect my family, how does any family heal from those kinds of
wounds, 'on both sides', but more so the family who will never see their son again.

This B.S. is running rampant, too bad these brats didn't have 20 cows to milk, the wood box to keep full and a few rows of spuds to hill................that's before they eat breakfast. :lol:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are some examples to be set here. One the kid is 16 and should be raised to adult court.
I also think its time to outlaw knives for those under 18 and if caught with a weapon of any kind
would mean automatic 2 years locked up.
No we do not need to register weapons such as knives, we need to make a blanket law that is a
deterrent and make it hurt no exceptions.
This is very sad, lives ruined for no reason.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Last night the victim's father was on TV news and called the 16 yr old a punk dweeb that didn't have the balls to be a man and fight with his fists. So far they haven't even said if any alcohol was involved.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
This B.S. is running rampant, too bad these brats didn't have 20 cows to milk, the wood box to keep full and a few rows of spuds to hill................that's before they eat breakfast. :lol:

it was very sad watching the news last night, as it seems those brats were standing around right outside the
courthouse, and the mother/father and other family of the victim were there too, and the mother was very
distraught and was hollering at them calling them names etc, and the uncle was pleading to the media asking
'why' 'why', he wasn't doing anything, this was for 'nothing', and yes called the kids names too, and
what would one expect. Perhaps the authorities could have kept those kids from hanging around there,
as it obviously was agonizing for the family of the victim.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There are some examples to be set here. One the kid is 16 and should be raised to adult court.
I also think its time to outlaw knives for those under 18 and if caught with a weapon of any kind
would mean automatic 2 years locked up.
No we do not need to register weapons such as knives, we need to make a blanket law that is a
deterrent and make it hurt no exceptions.
This is very sad, lives ruined for no reason.

Two years is pretty steep for a kid whose hobby happens to be whittling! :smile: